C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Technical Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Technical Advice

Gentlemen and the few Ladies present:

If you own an old Corvette and perform your own R&R my first and foremost advice is to get the appropriate model year factory AIM or Assembly Instruction Manual. They are without doubt the cheapest of any of the following selection and thankfully can easily be found everywhere at a nominal expense. It will not answer all of your question; nothing will, but it will have the most answers. Due to the nature of my former job, I always had 2 sets of every year 1956 through 1982 next to my desk. One set at work; the other in my home office. Over the years my home sets got filled with my notes on many pages.

Other valuable reference material include:
The appropriate model year GM service manual. Real GM factory ones from Helm, not the mall book store Chilton and Clymer type manuals which must cover many model years and thus are not as specific. I have them from 1953-1977 with many supplemental booklets from GM divisions. FYI in the 1970’s if you wrote to Rochester, they would send you free FI manuals. Initially they sent the actual offset printed manuals used by GM service departments – the real deal! Years later they only sent photocopies of the same manuals and the B&W photos were lousy in copier reproduction. I doubt they still provide this service.

Further information can be found in the appropriate model year factory part manual. They provide the most accurate information when they are dated the same as your model. The next choice would the following model year. The farther from your model year, the greater the chance the part information will have some how changed. Example a 1929-1957 Chevy part manual would be best for a 1957. A 1938-1963 manual would be best for a 1963. These manual always include a range of model years. I have many of them; half a bookcase.

I will not assume to be the pinnacle of Corvette knowledge, but do have a fair personal hands on experience with most C1, C2 and C3’s. I’ll admit to being weak on C4 and C5 having only owned them new as drivers; never actually boning them out or turning a wrench on any.

I prefer factory manuals for information, however there are several notable
aftermarket books and manuals a serious owner/collector should obtain. Mr. Noland Adams in particular has produced exceptional reference material by virtue of his long association (1954 up) with the Corvette and his envious position on being granted access to official GM archive documents and photographs. My only regret is there is no edition for C3.

The guides and manuals published by the NCRS are also a noteworthy addition if one chooses that particular path. They generally cover a few model years in each edition.

All said my background is in original type items and I honestly don’t know much of anything about the aftermarket cam, heads, etc. If I can be of assistance feel free to email. Note that I practice safe sex, I don’t accept attachments. If you want to include a picture, post it on the web and include the URL. If I cannot answer your question, I know where to forward your request.

I’m getting cabin fever cannot wait for the cruises to resume.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D
Wanted: 1969 L-89 conv (no project)

Old 02-20-2004, 09:20 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (Doc Rebuild)

Thanks Doc

I also find this site to be an invaluable source of free technical information.
http://www.docrebuild.com/
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23 AM
johns73
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the information i have most of the books you mentioned and will look for the rest. :cheers:
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, listen to Doc & don't follow my example ! :nono:

I'm still working (remembering) on getting the AIM for my '68.

I have those manuals for '67-'68 Camaros and applied some of that knowledge to my car. Other than an older crummy Chilton's manual which is not "vette" specific enough other than engine tolerances........I rely on my own noggin. :smash:
Old 02-20-2004, 09:30 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (verskel)

Ooops ! .....I forgot to mention that "starring" at other C3's that were either put together properly or are 'original' helps, too ! :thumbs:
Old 02-20-2004, 09:49 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (verskel)

i'm a believer in shop books, yes, even the cheap one's , they pay for themself's if only you onderstand what your "mechanic" is telling you!!!
the bonus is if you DIY :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 02-20-2004, 10:14 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

.... If you own an old Corvette and perform your own R&R my first and foremost advice is to get the appropriate model year factory AIM or Assembly Instruction Manual. ..... Other valuable reference material include: The appropriate model year GM service manual. ...... Further information can be found in the appropriate model year factory part manual. ....... The guides and manuals published by the NCRS are also a noteworthy addition .....

IÂ’m getting cabin fever cannot wait for the cruises to resume.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
I agree, I've got those manuals, also helpful are the:

GM (specific year) Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks Unit Repair Manual (overhaul).

The GM (specific year) Wiring Diagram (NCRS / Lectric Limited).

A BIG aid for me is a DIGITAL Camera. Lots of photos BEFORE something is removed, and when it is disassembled. Works to "remember" details, especially if some time has passed. LOTS of photos from LOTS of angles, you never know what question will come up. Nice to document the improvement as well. :)

DOC'S catalog is also a good aid. :thumbs:
Old 02-20-2004, 03:28 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice. :cheers:
Old 02-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Excellent advice! Those manuals are jewels in terms of knowledge.

Bring on spring. I am tired of the white precipitation.

[Modified by paul67, 5:18 PM 2/20/2004]
Old 02-20-2004, 05:05 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see you're in a chipper mood, Doc...good advice you posted, a wealth of info in the AIM.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:41 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will not assume to be the pinnacle of Corvette knowledge, but do have a fair personal hands on experience with most C1, C2 and C3’s.

That might be a understatement, Doc :D

Terry
Old 02-20-2004, 11:10 PM
outrunm
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (trw)

I will not assume to be the pinnacle of Corvette knowledge, but do have a fair personal hands on experience with most C1, C2 and C3Â’s.

That might be a understatement, Doc :D

Terry
:iagree:

This guy knows his schizitt
Of course, being of the Internet age, I go nuts flipping through an assembly manual when I see there is no search function!! I really am considering hooking up a spare computer in the garage so I can search CF when I get stuck on something!
Old 02-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (outrunm)

Good info- thanks for taking the time to post it! :thumbs:
Old 02-21-2004, 05:18 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Geoffrey. You hit the nail on the head. :) Anybody that can afford a 10K, 20K, 30K, and more "toy" can certainly afford approximately $50.00 for the appropriate manuals. Even in this "internet" age, virtually none of this stuff is available "online". You just gotta have it when you need it. My manuals are FULL of greasy fingerprints.

Even if you're not "into" NCRS, their Judging Guides are excellent for explaining "what was originally there", and "how it was".

I might also add that everybody should have the appropriate owners manual for their car. That way, people won't be posting "what's this gizmo under the steering column", and "what does this button do". :) Chuck
Old 02-21-2004, 06:45 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

One of the best pieces of equipment you can have is an assembly manual and a service manual for the particular year Corvette you own. C-3's in particular, can become complicated in various areas. I learned that on my own along the way. It was kind of you to highlight the difference in types of information and the location of said material. One forum member offering valuable and timely advice to others.

[Modified by killain, 6:52 AM 2/21/2004]
Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (killain)

Thanks Doc. :cheers:
Old 02-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (stingraymax)

I have an assembly manual and have never used it, after 7 years all I ever did with it was put the sheets in the binder. The only thing I ever looked up in it is the way to calculate the check digit on the 17 digit VIN.

Get notified of new replies

To Free Technical Advice

Old 02-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Indy Year 25
Racer

Default Re: Free Technical Advice (outrunm)

I go nuts flipping through an assembly manual when I see there is no search function!!
:iagree: Anyone have any tips on finding what you are looking for in the AIM?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due to the nature of my former job, I always had 2 sets of every year 1956 through 1982 next to my desk. One set at work; the other in my home office.
Man, that's some bling-bling there!
Real GM factory ones from Helm, not the mall book store Chilton and Clymer type manuals which must cover many model years and thus are not as specific.
:iagree:
I've made that mistake before!!
I’m getting cabin fever cannot wait for the cruises to resume.
Move to the south!...just another proof of divine favor!!

Old 02-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM Index (Indy Year 25)

Gentlemen and the Lady present:

The Assembly Instruction Manuals do have that drawback, in that they do not contain an index, or at least one that makes sense. However, someone has produced such an alphabetical index. I believe it is marketed on the NCRS web site.

Early on, I too regretted the lack of an index, but honestly the heavy hourly use that mine received ingrained my familiarity with their arrangement and each has the same basis pattern. (In 1973 and later editions the RPO’s were integrated into the whole, instead of being a distinct separate entries.) However, the very first time one examines their 200 to 400 pages it is intimidating. There does not initially seem to be much coherence.

Some may not realize that these manuals were never originally intended to be sold to the general public, i.e. Corvette owners. They were the materials and methods handbook used by the factory for assembly of a products with something like 4000 parts (maybe more). And it could be ordered with various options and deletions. The AIM describe the arrangements of those parts, the historical changes to them and the assembly processes and the parameters used in their assembly. Torque values, the types of adhesives, sealers, warnings, test procedures and much other ancillary production information are included. There truly contain much information, and by using different model editions more can be determined and understood.

Note that anything that arrives at the factory already assembled such as the transmission, differential, wiper motor, PB booster, etc. will only be detailed as an assembly and shown integrated with companion parts. It will not show those individual components. In summary, the AIM represents just one part of the puzzle, but it is a cheap accessible one that even allow two widely separated “Christians” to commiserate, using the same language and text as the creator.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105

PS I appreciate the confidence expressed by some and must note that amongst the Real experts, I’m am only a student who spent a lot of time in the classroom (and never got promoted). My knowledge ranges from C1 to C3, but is only in depth for some of model years. There are many experts for each model year and even various models. I would list them

Quick Reply: Free Technical Advice