C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a C3 body on a c5 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Putting a C3 body on a c5 chassis (battsup)

Flareside i believe you are mistaken, the C5 does have a frame. Just look at these photos. [img]
Is my C3 birdcage is also a frame? It's made of the same stuff and built like that C5. Usually, when we talk about a "frame" it implies a separate piece which we can lift the body off of (to transplant under another car), no? Can't do that with a C5. Symantecs I guess, but if the question is putting a C5 under a C3, it applies.

Oh well, good luck with your frame swap. :D
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have be pondering doing this myself!!!!!!
Dan
Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We pondered this idea for nearly six months, but like Flairside, came up with too many problems to solve. We opted to find an 85 donor car and graft it's suspension to the C3 frame. A few places in the body have to be cut, and we settled on decreasing the rear track an inch and five-eights for the 17" wheels to stay under the fenders. Lots of work, but less than putting the C3 body on the C5 chassis.
Spike
Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Putting a C3 body on a c5 chassis (spikezz4)

I agree with Flareside on this, put the C4 suspension on a C3 frame. Been watching my mechanic do this and it is a nice swap and being a C4 not all that expensive. I looked into this last year, only was thinking of morphing a C1 onto a C5 - big $$$ and lots of modifications, it was going to be a 'ell of a lot cheaper to build a 427 Cobra kit, faster and a blast to drive.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:11 PM
C3C4Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Putting a C3 body on a c5 chassis (gdh)

I did the C4 Suspension Conversion on my rig and it wasn't too bad. I am really happy with the results. I don't think you could improve the C4 suspension by going to a C5. I saw a HOT ROD Magazine article where they used C4 Rear and C5 Front on a Mid-Year Corvette. They slammed it down and put 20" Wheels on it. The article was this time last year or a bit earlier.
The Weight Dist. improvements wouldn't be worth the chopping up of the rear storage area for the C5. The C4 cuts into it enough.
Do the C4 Conversion or Rebody a C5. You can improve handling a lot with VetteBrakes add on parts and Steeroids. Put in the Overdrive too!!!!
Good Luck!!!
:confused:

Quick Reply: Putting a C3 body on a c5 chassis