C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CUTTING SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CUTTING SPRINGS

Is there a chart or rule of thumb that X amount of coil cut equals Y amount of drop?

Specifics:
68 vert
SB all iron
350 coil over springs + drop with threaded collar from bottomed out to ten threads up= additional 2"
height adjustment 28" to 26.25"

I figure 2 coils. But once it's cut game over. So I don't need any mistakes.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (Cali,68,L-79)

[QUOTE]
SB all iron
350 coil over springs + drop with threaded collar from bottomed out to ten threads up= additional 2"
height adjustment 28" to 26.25"

QUOTE]

I have no idea what you mean there. 2 coils though is a bit much. I cut 3/4 of a coil and am down to 26.5in fender lip height. Better to go a little at a time.

Len
Old 02-12-2004, 06:10 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

... so the new 'cali' has coil-overs ?
I would ask Norval on this one, since he has mucked around with the coil overs all winter.

Dave's saying that his height adjustment is currently 26.25 to 28 inches.
I assume he is shooting for more like 25-27".

Remember - the coil rate is gonna go up as you trim them down.

:smash: :seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 6:12 PM 2/12/2004]
Old 02-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (NHvette)

... so the new 'cali' has coil-overs ?
Yep see below.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=748544
Old 02-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you want to cut the new semi coil over springs? You caný cut a lot off those, I believe they are conical so the rate is progressive and you need the wide top end to seat in the spring pocket. Cutting 2 coild is a lot, I'd start off with 1/2 a coil and then heating the remaining half and bending it down to fixate it.

So..the kit does not give enough drop on the front. Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is the use then? That just eliminated the only plus on them, for adjustable shocks you could have installed some HAL or other brand adjustables without the whole coil over deal.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (Twin_Turbo)

2 full coils?? :eek: That's a bit much, the car will ride like a cement truck IMO. :D I'd cut them in 3in intervals and try them and see.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David:

Wasn't there a thread a while back about not being able to lower those shocks below 26.5" or the shock would bottom out on a hard bump?

Did you have those shocks dynoed before installing them so you have an even starting point to adjust them to?

Pete
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (Pete79L82)

David:

Wasn't there a thread a while back about not being able to lower those shocks below 26.5" or the shock would bottom out on a hard bump?

Did you have those shocks dynoed before installing them so you have an even starting point to adjust them to?

Pete to what do you mean having the shocks dynoed????

Pete
Old 02-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Do you want to cut the new semi coil over springs? You caný cut a lot off those, I believe they are conical so the rate is progressive and you need the wide top end to seat in the spring pocket. Cutting 2 coild is a lot, I'd start off with 1/2 a coil and then heating the remaining half and bending it down to fixate it.

So..the kit does not give enough drop on the front. Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is the use then? That just eliminated the only plus on them, for adjustable shocks you could have installed some HAL or other brand adjustables without the whole coil over deal.
T.T. not really I will cut and have the colar at about midpoint on the 30 plus threads allowing me to drop to 25" for track events or 30' when I strap my deer trophy on the hood when I go hunting ths summer. :jester
Old 02-15-2004, 02:30 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Pete to what do you mean having the shocks dynoed????

As you know the adjustment ***** on those Afco shocks do not have a detent to "click" to. The numbers on the **** is strickly a reference point, not an exact refference point. I don't have my reference sheet for excact number right with me but to give you an example: If you want an adjustment of 100# low speed velocity and 2000# high speed velocity on compression (which is approx a #5 rating) you may have to set one shock to #4 on the **** and the other shock to #6 on the ****. That way both shocks will have the same compresion damping.force. And then do the same with extension adjustment.
If you set both shock to a #5 setting on the **** you could be off as much as a 100# force variance between shocks which can make for erratic handling at times. This is true for just adout any adjustable shock.
Those shocks were very popular on race cars a few years ago, but because they are so difficult to adjust without having a shock dyno right at the race track with you that very few people use adjustable shock on a race car anymore.
If you do some checking around you should be able to find someone in your area that has a shock dyno, most top race teams have them.

Pete

[Modified by Pete79L82, 10:06 AM 2/15/2004]
Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (Pete79L82)

Thank you Pete.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:18 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (NHvette)

I would ask Norval on this one, since he has mucked around with the coil overs all winter.

Funny NHvette but yesterday I was finally finished the coil overs and was setting the height. My setup is totally different and I can go from about 25 inches to 30 plus easily.
I have 5 inches of threaded body and if I drop the threaded holder all the way to the bottom my tires would rub on the lip. I adjusted them up 2 inches from the bottom and I am at 28 inches. I want something a little lower so I just back off the adjustment.
I would never cut my coilover springs. they are totally flat, top and bottom so any cutting destroys the flat bottom and would cause the springs to fowl on the shock and cause rubbing on the body.
After spending I think I read $950 for the setup I would be very upset if I had to cut. That $950 I though was for the semi coil overs, My full coil overs were $730.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (norvalwilhelm)

:iagree:
Old 02-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

I hear you but this is a trial fit and if it does'nt work no harm no foul on my end if you catch my drift.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:30 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

That and the crappy way they are mounted is the main reasons I won't buy this setup.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:00 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (BSeery)

That and the crappy way they are mounted is the main reasons I won't buy this setup.

I agree about the crappy way they are mounted but to be a true bolt in that is about the only way possible. Anything else would require welding and there goes the bolt in. I installed true coil overs and it required alot of cutting and welding. No way to bolt in anything else.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:04 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I agree about the crappy way they are mounted but to be a true bolt in that is about the only way possible. Anything else would require welding and there goes the bolt in. I installed true coil overs and it required alot of cutting and welding. No way to bolt in anything else.
They could put a metal insert that sits down in the pocket of the spring/shock area. Beef up that area and have the bolts pass through the shock mount, the metal insert and then out through the bottom of the a-arm. This would help prevent the shock combo from blowing out the bottom of the car.

Mind you, no one has had any problems. I just feel this is a weak spot and that is MY opinion. Speed Direct can do whatever they want and if they feel it has been tested to their standards they should be happy with that.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:37 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: CUTTING SPRINGS (BSeery)

They could put a metal insert that sits down in the pocket of the spring/shock area. Beef up that area and have the bolts pass through the shock mount, the metal insert and then out through the bottom of the a-arm. This would help prevent the shock combo from blowing out the bottom of the car.

I agree with you BSeery. I feel this is a weak spot and it has not been sujected to enough testing. Your idea would definitely work but add alot to the kit.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

B.S./N.W. will pass onto Speed Direct and see what they say.

David

Get notified of new replies

To CUTTING SPRINGS

Quick Reply: CUTTING SPRINGS