C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Brake upgrade option poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:45 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C3 Brake upgrade option poll

The current issue of Corvette Fever article on C3 brake upgrade has me thinking about options. Value and unsprung weight are definitely considerations. Select your choice below or add one.

[Modified by flynhi, 10:03 PM 1/11/2004]
Old 01-11-2004, 07:57 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (flynhi)

To me the hydraboost was the biggest improvement I made to my brakes. I also drilled my rotors, installed 4 new sleeved calipers, stainless flex lines and use organic pads to save the rotors. My rotors are at least 14 years old and still spotless.
If I had to do only one thing it would be hydraboost.
double click to enlarge
Old 01-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How do I add one - if I could, it would be o-rings calipers from VBP.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Larry82)

I just bought four new calipers from Vette Brakes. Mine were in sad shape. I haven't installed them yet because I have to replace the nasy master cylinder and flush the system first. But based on everyones reaction to them, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Function would be the other purpose of this thread. My car will be a cruiser, not a race car, so spending double to make a small unsprung weight reduction didn't interest me.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:17 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Ak. Mal)

Hydroboost works! :thumbs:
Old 01-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (1979toy)

The best barke upgrade you can make is the Hydroboost unit. It is unbelieveable how much the braking efficiency is improved with it. Stopping distances are really shortened.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:38 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Arkansas Flash)

Someone really needs to explain how a brake booster can change the laws of physics :rolleyes
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

I just purchased all new calipers and master cylinder from VB&P. Can any of you tell me how best to get all the old brake fluid out the complete system so it will not contaminate my new brake fluid?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:11 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (427V8)

Someone really needs to explain how a brake booster can change the laws of physics :rolleyes
Braking is all about generating friction. The Hydroboost allows the factory brake system to generate greater friction at the wheels by providing more assist at the master cylinder. Its not about changing the laws of physics, but making them work for you :D

Old 01-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (dman535)

:iagree:

The hydraulic assist gives you far more line pressure with much less pedal pressure.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Braking is all about generating friction. The Hydroboost allows the factory brake system to generate greater friction at the wheels by providing more assist at the master cylinder. Its not about changing the laws of physics, but making them work for you :D
You cannot increase the friction. If the brakes can be locked up without the Hydroboost, why does on need Hydroboost? You CAN increase the efficiency of the system by reducing the effort required to brake the car. I believe that is the main purpose of Hydroboost. It would be like an upgrade from manual to power brakes. Power brakes simply allow the driver to use less effort to achieve the same end result.

Unless the effort currently required is so much greater than the effort that will be required with Hydroboost, why spend the money and add another potential problem down the road?

Even the addition of larger rotors/better calipers etc are somewhat pointless. Unless you increase the size of the tire (contact patch). Better brakes offer no addtional benefit if you cannot take advantage of it. Kinda like horsepower without traction. Short of better heat dissaption This upgrade for a street driven car makes no sense to me either.

my .02.

What are you trying to accomplish? The braking system on teh C3 is quite good in stcok form. I have no problem easly stopping the car with minimal effort and manual brakes. I would simply rebuild the system with good pads and calipers.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:37 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Robert N)

I have found that most power brake Corvettes are not capable of locking up all four wheels under hard braking. I don't know if a portion of the assist is bled off or as the boosters age they don't work as well. But they just can't do it.

One of the major side benefits of the hydroboost system is that its boost is not set by the vacuum level of the motor. I found that at low speed driving with my camshaft and vacuum brakes that I was getting poor brake performance, it doesn't happen with the hydroboost.

One other side effect and it addresses the efficency statement is that the pedal is so much more responsive. Looking at the physics its hard to explain, but the pedal in my car takes so much less travel to give so much better brake performance.

Your mileage may vary...

Old 01-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

I have found that most power brake Corvettes are not capable of locking up all four wheels under hard braking. I don't know if a portion of the assist is bled off or as the boosters age they don't work as well. But they just can't do it.

One of the major side benefits of the hydroboost system is that its boost is not set by the vacuum level of the motor. I found that at low speed driving with my camshaft and vacuum brakes that I was getting poor brake performance, it doesn't happen with the hydroboost.

One other side effect and it addresses the efficency statement is that the pedal is so much more responsive. Looking at the physics its hard to explain, but the pedal in my car takes so much less travel to give so much better brake performance.

Your mileage may vary...
Nice explaination. It sounds like your experience vaildates the purpose of the Hydroboost and does make it very worthwhile.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 01-12-2004, 04:08 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Your mileage may vary...

Nice explaination. It sounds like your experience vaildates the purpose of the Hydroboost and does make it very worthwhile.
Weird, I have yet to see a C3 that cant lock em up. Why not just poke a stick thru the wheels? That is about the level of modulation you get with brakes designed for a truck! Of course if you don't care about turn entry at maximum deceleration without locking them up, then hydroboost is for you.

Chris

[Modified by 71roadster, 1:10 PM 1/12/2004]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:26 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (71roadster)

I think there are a few reasons people like the Hydroboost.
1. they use hard, long wearing aftermarket pads that don't grip very well. So they need a lot of pressure to stop the poor car. Then they wonder why their pads are shaped like footballs
2. they like the 77 Volare feel, just a light touch and all four wheels are locked up
3. Pedal modulation? no way man, I'm either Full on the throttle or have all four wheels locked up...:jester
4. they measure brake performance by how much line pressure it deveolps
Old 01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (427V8)

Everyone could use a little hydro. :)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Brake upgrade option poll

Old 01-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Fevre)

locking the brakes is a poor way to decelerate, the deceleration is at the max just before you lock the wheels. Now, you can do it with a nromal vac booster or unassisted system by just slamming down on the pedal. That however is not a good way to do it, applying force and increasing that force on the pedal will give you hard braking without locking up. That's where the hydrobooster comes into play. Becuase of thw way most people are sitting in the car they do not put good pressure on the pedal. They push themselves back in the seat and a little up (if they have the seat laid back) and that all results into less effective braking. With the hydrobooster you can do it without the need to put much force on the brake pedal. I like it when I can dosage the pedal properly without having to forcefully stand on it.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:13 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C3 Brake upgrade option poll (Twin_Turbo)

Hydroboost
ZTI o ring caliper kits
Stainless flex brake lines
Hawk pads

gman :thumbs:

Hi Marck :seeya
Old 01-12-2004, 06:25 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks very much, fellas, for the replies. I also am a fan of Hydroboost since I installed it last summer. I also appreciate the comments regarding lockup, tires, etc.

So I'm focusing on rotors and calipers. Previous threads have discussed drilled vs slotted rotors (consensus was to use slotted). Not resolved is the stopping improvement due to increased rotor diameter and swept area (which will fit with my 17" wheels) and/or lightweight hybrid rotors (alum hat with slotted steel perimeter). Does the benefit outweigh the cost?

Then on to calipers. OE calipers with stainless sleeves, Zero Tolerance pistons and Performance Friction Z compound stop great but weigh a ton. Does the benefit of lighter weight calipers outweigh the cost of Force 10s or C5 calipers?

It seems like lightweight calipers, hybrid rotors and hydroboost would result in less unsprung weight, lower rotating mass and great performance. But is it worth the cost? That is the question.............

Quick Reply: C3 Brake upgrade option poll