C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea?

Well, it's pretty obvious now that my rear bearings are shot. Lots of burning grease smell, some definite heat coming out, and very loud grinding noises. So I've decided to attempt to tackle part of the problem. Here's what I have:

I'm going to attempt to remove the spindle support with the spindle still in it. It looks like once I disconnect the halfshafts, remove the flange and dustboots, and disconnect the shock absorber, there are four bolts that hold the housing to the trailing arm. Once I remove those, I can pull the housing right out. From there I bring it into Corvette Mike where he will press out the old bearings and set up the new ones to correct specs. Then I just put them back in reverse order and I should be set. Am I missing anything? Any ideas or input would be great.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea? (Buffalo Dude)

I don't think it will work out that way. The 4 nuts holding the spindle support are behind the e-brake components and the spindle flange. You are probably much better off removing the t-arms with the spindle and e-brake setup intact and pressing it apart. Of course the best and easiest way would be to have the GM J-22601 spindle press and the reinstall tools J-24490-1 and J-24490-2.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea? (Big Fish)

That is how I did mine. But then again the previous owner had removed the E- Brakes so that was of no concern. You will have to get the E - Brake parts out of the way though. The question is ... is that easier than removing the trailing arm ??? Your Call....
:steering:
Old 01-03-2004, 07:54 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea? (Buffalo Dude)

I was going to suggest just doing away with the ebrake as totally usless for anything, but I see your' in Kalifornia, and most likely have inspections....

that ebrake is a super PIA....so much so that at one point I was thinking of changing calipers for a more modern style that incorporated the ebrake levers into the caliper....but learned quickly that it was no good solution either.....

GENE
Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 AM
noskillz
Racer

I don't think you can remove the spindle support with the spindle in it. I don't think the spindle will fit through the trailing arm???
Old 01-03-2004, 10:58 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

You can remove it from the trailing arm,but as said, you have to remove the parking shoes to get to the nuts. If the unit is rust seized then you're going to have a hard time separting the housing with the arm still in the car. I remove the arms and rebuild them on the bench. I have the tools for the job but have never used the spindle press tool. It looks like it would break the caliper bracket on a rust seized car. It might be ok if the car was a couple of years old,but 30-40 later is another thing.
Of course removing the arms is usually the hardest part of the whole job. I believe Van Steel has the procedure on their web site and they do an excellant job of rebuilding the whole unit if needed. Take your time and look it over before jumping in.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea? (gtr1999)

Success! Separated the housing from the trailing arm and brought the whole thing in to Corvette Mike today. I hope to get it back by Friday and the car up and running by Wednesday of next week. Thanks everyone, and special thanks to Van Steel for excellent instructions on removing the housing. :chevy
Old 01-06-2004, 12:44 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buffalo

You wouldnt have the instructions the Van Steel sent you handy. I may be doing this job this spring. Its either wheel bearings or U-joints for me. Not sure until I rip it apart a little.

PS: My E-brake hardware has been removed already.

Best Regards, Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 11:45 PM 1/5/2004]
Old 01-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea? (MN-Brent)

Buffalo

You wouldnt have the instructions the Van Steel sent you handy. I may be doing this job this spring. Its either wheel bearings or U-joints for me. Not sure until I rip it apart a little.

PS: My E-brake hardware has been removed already.

Best Regards, Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 11:45 PM 1/5/2004]
The instructions are on their website. You might have to search a little, it's under instructions or rebuild or something like that. If you're close enough, I would say Van Steel has a good deal on rebuilding them. They're on the opposite side of the country for me, so makes it expensive to ship anything. :cry Good luck!

PS: It's under removal instructions. Also, exploded views from parts catalogs help in understanding what parts are where.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I know shipping to me isn't free but shipping from me to you is. :thumbs:
Glad everything worked out good for you Buffalo Dude. and if anyone needs instructions and they can't find them, you can always give us a call and if we have the instructions you are looking for we could fax them to you if you have a fax.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea?

Quick Reply: Anyone that's redone rear bearings: does this sound like a good idea?