C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIRT

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 09:05 AM
apple76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIRT

What do yinz guys use to clean your hands after working in the garage? I've tried everything from dishwashing liquid to LAVA hand soap. Really haven't found anything I like....
Old 12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
noskillz
Racer

Default Re: DIRT (apple76)

I use the "GOJO" stuff in the orange can. Work it in good WITHOUT water then add a little water. I also have a nail (finger nail) brush next to the sink.

The GOJO has citrus acid and pumic and cuts through really good. I also go though TONS of latex and vynil gloves. If it is really messy such as paint or grease I put on some desposable gloves.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:29 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I usually use Fast Orange and whatever doesn't come off with that, reach for the dishsoap...
Old 12-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: DIRT (Aflac)

I use a product called ZEP "Reach". You have to buy it by the case from them direct. We use that for work. At home we use GOJO.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: DIRT (noskillz)

Using a brush for the hands and finger nail area is key, I use a waterless hand cleaner outside when I want a quick clean then rinse with the hose, once I am done for the day/night I then go inside and use dish soap and a brush to deep clean the hands and finger nail area.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:10 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: DIRT (Fevre)

I love threads like this!! Like, how do you get your white towels really white?! What's the best way to get stains out of carpet? Does your hair get dirty in the garage? :lol:

As for my hands, I just use my spray bottle of simple green - spray some into my hands, rub rub rub, then rinse! :) MJ
Old 12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
apple76
Pro

Default Re: DIRT (MNJack)

The best way to get stains out of the carpet is not to get them there in the first place. As far as towels, the best stuff I've found is Amway laundry products, yes Amway... Simple Green irritates my skin along with many other hand cleaning products (i'm very sensitive ya know)... :smash:
Old 12-31-2003, 11:59 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOJO works great. Here's a trick you might want to try. To keep from getting grease/grit under your finger nails and into the pores of your skin before starting work, rub in a little Vasoline. Sounds nuts but it works.
:party:
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: DIRT (marshrat99)

OK - everyone has posted the obvious solutions.

Here's one from the yankee folk bin ... but true.

The best thing for removing oil/grease/dirt ? Clean oil/grease. Use Crisco.
Yup - grab a big spoonful of vegetable shortening (when the wife's not
looking) and rub it in real good to loosen and lift the dirty grease out of your
skin. Wash as normal after.

I wear Nitrile gloves whenever I know it's gonna get grimey.

:seeya
Old 12-31-2003, 06:29 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DIRT (NHvette)

heres a tip>>when you know your gonna get dirty take your gojo or any other strong soap that you use and apply it to your hands and let dry. This forms an invisible glove and when you are done working you just rinse your hands clean.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:18 PM
applevette
Instructor

Hey Apple, is your last name Apple too?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:25 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always use disposable gloves. I hate dirt on my hands and my wife doesn't like it either. If I do get stains on my hands for some reason I wash the dishes, hands in dishwater get cleaned.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:12 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: DIRT (norvalwilhelm)

I use GOJO and disposable gloves. My professional mechanic friend says using hand lotion before you get them dirty helps when you wash them.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:32 AM
grayhook
Pro

Default Re: DIRT (markdtn)

My professional mechanic friend says using hand lotion before you get them dirty helps when you wash them.
:iagree: :iagree:
:flag
Old 01-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I always use disposable gloves BUT sometimes I get pretty nutty and go bareback I always use FAST ORANGE. mostly because it is --The #1 selling, biodegradable, waterless, petroleum solvent-free hand cleaner that contains no harsh chemicals, mineral oils or ammonia that can sting cuts and abrasions. Pure, fresh-smelling natural citrus power does the cleaning. With aloe, lanolin, jojoba and now CORN HUSKERS® LOTION for added skin conditioning and protection. Fine Pumice formula gently deep cleans the toughest dirt. Works great on laundry stains, scuff marks, tile floors, and other household cleaning needs.

I have used tranny fluid in a pinch to break up some bad dirt it might sound stupid but it works. Of course you have to use soap to get teh tranny fluid off after that.

Another thing I have tried is using that little green scrubber pad with dish washing detergent it really takes the grime out of the crevases

Old 01-02-2004, 10:56 AM
apple76
Pro

Default Re: DIRT (applevette)

applevette.... nope, my last name is not Apple; I just like Macintosh computers....
Old 01-02-2004, 10:59 AM
apple76
Pro

Some good suggestions listed... thanks guys...

Get notified of new replies

To DIRT

Old 01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: DIRT (MNJack)

I love threads like this!! Like, how do you get your white towels really white?! What's the best way to get stains out of carpet? Does your hair get dirty in the garage? :lol:

As for my hands, I just use my spray bottle of simple green - spray some into my hands, rub rub rub, then rinse! :) MJ

My hair does not get dirty in the garage because I'm bald. But then I have to use GOJO on my head, and it leaves it nice and shiny.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:48 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: DIRT (norvalwilhelm)

I always use disposable gloves. I hate dirt on my hands and my wife doesn't like it either. If I do get stains on my hands for some reason I wash the dishes, hands in dishwater get cleaned.
:lolg: :lolg: Hell, I come out from under the car with dirt from my hands to my shoulders, across my forehead and usually some on my knees and legs.
I get into my work. Gloves would just keep 1/10th of me clean.

I use Dawn dishwashing soap. Get the anti-bacterial kind and it helps keep all the cuts and scrapes from getting infected.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: DIRT (BSeery)

I have some GOJO and some FAST ORANGE in the garage. I prefer the FO 10 to 1. The Gojo leaves some kind of greasy residue that I cannot stand. I have to rewash using dishwashing soap or something to get that mess off my hands. So for me FO is it.

No glove for the most part either. I feel like I lose my dexterity with gloves. You know kinda like taking a shower with a rain coat on. :D

Quick Reply: DIRT