C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:39 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48?

I would like to bolt a set up (cheap mod). I know that if you get too radical, you run the risk of the valvetrain making contact with itself. Is that the case here? Any recommended brands?
Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 AM
devveldogg
Advanced

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (WPEDirect)

I put on a set of Crane Cams nitro steel 1.6 on my stock 350 and worked fine, no problems at all. :seeya
Old 12-30-2003, 06:10 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (devveldogg)

Was there a noticeable difference in performance? Was it a 'seat of the pants' improvement? Nice car!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (devveldogg)

Hey dogg -- which AT you running ?? you got the Weiland blower on a stock 350 with juice too???
REALLY thinking of adding the 142 to mine but worried my TCI 700R4 couldn't take it. How long have you been running this combo ??
Old 12-30-2003, 09:24 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (WPEDirect)

I asked this question sometime back. The answer was that it's very low on the "bang for your buck" list. Your first priority (if it hasn't been done already) should be carburetion, intake and exhaust.

We'll be happy to help you spend your money! Just tell us exactly what you have and everyone will pitch in with their .02!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (page62)

Minimal gain. What it really needs is more cam & better exhaust.
See if your ex. is stock single. See Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81
what many refer to as my Exhaust topic. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm
Old 12-30-2003, 10:43 PM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (Ganey)

Ganey,
I read your post on exhaust - very informative! I have true duals with no cats. However, I am sure that my mufflers are very restrictive - I can barely hear an exhaust note! My goal is sidepipes with spiral baffles. Will this provide a dramatic increase in performance? My gas mileage is in the toilet right now. I have a 20 mile one way commute to work, and I am spending $5/day in gas (that's about 11.5 mpg). I know that I need to do some intake work - will the edelbrock performer that is 'supposed' to fit under our hoods provide a great 'seat-o-da-pants' increase? I'm all about feeling quicker. I may or may not be but I like to feel it light to light, you know what I mean? One last question - will rebuilding my carb provide better gas mileage? It's the original Q-Jet. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (Ganey)

Minimal gain. What it really needs is more cam
:withstupid: I wouldn't expect any SOP improvement. That cam doesn't have enough lift. If it was an L82 cam, then maybe it may be worth it.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:57 PM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (Double Aught)

OK, so since I haven't been inside my engine ('75 L-48) yet, is it a 2 bolt or 4 bolt main? Does it really matter as much as everyone says? Is it worth throwing a new bumpstick at it, or should I start with a new one? I have no problems doing a cam, lifters, & rockers all in one fell swoop. Most cam manufacturers offer packages... While we're on the subject, I would like my car to be able to make use of the already weak brakes, so how high is enough when discussing cams? :confused:
Old 12-31-2003, 12:26 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

2 bolt...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:43 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (AGVI)

you don't have to go roller. A stamped steel set of 1.6 rockers is around 40 bucks.

not so bad for 10 hp.

the 1.6 ratio effectively gives you a bigger cam

except not significantly more duration which would cause loss of vacuum anyway.

do it.

Old 12-31-2003, 01:06 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48? (turtlevette)

rebuilding carb might help your gas mpg, depends on condition now, couldn't hurt and is easy to do, cam package best route and would help, let the experts help you out, be honest with them on useage so you end up happy with your choice, ie big lift and duration spells trouble for your combo and daily use. Rollers are waste in my opinion on street car like you have. good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, so since I haven't been inside my engine ('75 L-48) yet, is it a 2 bolt or 4 bolt main? Does it really matter as much as everyone says? Is it worth throwing a new bumpstick at it, or should I start with a new one? I have no problems doing a cam, lifters, & rockers all in one fell swoop. ...
That's the way to do it- all in one fell swoop. No, 2 bolt is not an issue in this case, cam it.
Ganey,
I read your post on exhaust - very informative! I have true duals with no cats. However, I am sure that my mufflers are very restrictive - I can barely hear an exhaust note!...
I know that I need to do some intake work - will the edelbrock performer that is 'supposed' to fit under our hoods provide a great 'seat-o-da-pants' increase? I'm all about feeling quicker. I may or may not be but I like to feel it light to light, you know what I mean? One last question - will rebuilding my carb provide better gas mileage? It's the original Q-Jet. Thanks!
Thanks, a lot of guys really liked that topic.

Yes, the Performer intake fits, reduces weight & adds some power.
Part of hot rodding is increasing efficiency so a byproduct is better gas mileage. Things like tune up, good spark plug wires, low restriction duals, headers, etc.
You could add a crossover pipe to ex. if not already & Dynomax mufflers for now.
Comp cams says you can get better mileage w/ a 260H, which is the minimum (that I recommend) cam for a 350 auto. Vette like yours.

Assuming the 400 in 350/400 means TH400, then Comp cams XE256 (new valve springs rec.) or 260H (works w/ stock valve springs).

Aso the auto. can be improved w/ a lower gear set w/ 2.75 1st.
The TH350 is also available w/ a lower gear set & takes less power.
Another option is going to an O/D trans, like a 200R4 w/ lower rear gears.

We now get to rockers, the cam should be right first.
Rockers
Basically any increase is due to the increase of rocker ratio as stock measure about 1.47 so even 1.52 is an increase. All you need is the Comp cams roller tip which fit under the L-82 Al. valve covers. Roller tip will help reduce valve guide wear. Stock springs safe lift @ .460.
1.6 were really made for tuning.
Full rollers are not worth it for your setup. Full rollers are needed for over about 6500 rpm &/or when valve spring pressures are over 350 lbs.
In the beginning of the SB Chevy design some thought roller rockers would add hp. Chevy agreed to change the design to roller rockers if any hp was added. Despite the efforts of some including Smokey Yunick, no hp was gained.

[Modified by Ganey, 9:31 AM 12/31/2003]
Old 12-31-2003, 02:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

As others have stated, spend that money elsewhere. Car might go faster but only because yor wallet is lighter :D

[Modified by MotorHead, 1:18 PM 12/31/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48?

Quick Reply: 1.6:1 ratio roller rockers - anyone got them on a stock L48?