C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Bob Deeken
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect

In searching for an engine choice I've run across a lot of hype over these thin walled all alum 350's. One note that caught my eye was the fact that the max overbore is .010. Which makes them either non rebuildable or one freshing at most. I'm sure someone like Barton's could wet sleeve them, but that's a serious expense. Wouldn't an aftermarket all alum block be a better buy - at least it's rebuildable.

What am I missing?

Bob
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (Bob Deeken)

they are light... and easy to make gobs of power. :yesnod:
Old 12-29-2003, 06:06 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

In searching for an engine choice I've run across a lot of hype over these thin walled all alum 350's. One note that caught my eye was the fact that the max overbore is .010.
Bob
the LT1 is an iron block Gen 2 engine with reverse flow cooling.

Is that really true that the LS1 can't be re sleeved easily and can only be bored 10 thousands?

Old 12-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Bob Deeken
7th Gear

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (turtlevette)

You're right re the LT1 - ment to say LS6. But in the March 2004 issue of Corvette magazine they are doing a how-to on a LS1 and on page 90 it states that the LS1 block utilizes very thin steel liners and can't be bored more than .010 over stock. The photo beside verifies it.

That's the reason I asked - seemed like a throw away block to me. I come from the old school - back when if a 283 had been rebuilt twice. You bored it .120 over and slammed in used std bore 327 pistons. If the walls didn't rupture when you started it, they usually ran really good. Old 301.5 or 301 Chevy - or with larger mains from the factory a DZ 302 of early Camaro fame.

Bob
Old 12-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (turtlevette)

Is that really true that the LS1 can't be re sleeved easily and can only be bored 10 thousands?
I don't know about boring out the sleeve, but resleeving isn't all that tough.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Signal
Advanced

In searching for an engine choice I've run across a lot of hype over these thin walled all alum 350's.
Bob
The real hype is with the heads...My stock '98 Trans Am was a blast to drive and race at the track!...13.80s on average and a best of 13.6 STOCK with 2.73 gears!...Probably weighed about 3800lbs too...Two bolt-ons and one torque converter later I was at 13.0...And I had one of the slowest LS1 cars that I've seen!...*LOL*...Not too bad if ya ask me...

:cool:

I see Edelbrock is offering a carburated intake manifold too if you're really interested in these motors and want to keep the carb!...

[Modified by Signal, 6:22 PM 12/29/2003]
Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (Signal)

Let me see, Because I can and its coooolll :cool: I'm doing it for top speed, good drag times, and I can cruise it to other states without worrying about ten miles to the gallon. This my second FI project, the first was fun, but never turned out like I wanted. Hopefully this will be different. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

. But in the March 2004 issue of Corvette magazine they are doing a how-to on a LS1 and on page 90 it states that the LS1 block utilizes very thin steel liners and can't be bored more than .010 over stock. The photo beside verifies it.
I guess that explains all the 500 dollar LS1 blocks i've seen on ebay. I guess thats not the way to go????

Old 12-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prolly will be similar to what you see now, it is easier and sometimes cheaper for a person to buy a new crate eng than rebuild so you will prolly see a bunch of LS1/6 crate eng's in the near future that are close in price to a rebuild and will prolly be even more powerfull than the stock ones. And besides, todays eng will go over 100k no problem so if you rebuild it once it should last most people a lifetime, how many people will put 200k on an car?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:34 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (Fevre)

Prolly will be similar to what you see now, it is easier and sometimes cheaper for a person to buy a new crate eng than rebuild so you will prolly see a bunch of LS1/6 crate eng's in the near future that are close in price to a rebuild and will prolly be even more powerfull than the stock ones. And besides, todays eng will go over 100k no problem so if you rebuild it once it should last most people a lifetime, how many people will put 200k on an car?
IMO that is one reason, rebuilding engines is becoming a thing of the past. The other I think is because with the use of synthetic oil, ring and cylinder wear is almost non existant. LT1's and LS1's and 6's are factory charged and strongly recomended to use synthetic oil only. When these engines are cared for as designed they go 200k miles easily with little to no wear. LT1's can be found with over 200k miles now that they are 10 years old or older. Ask any of those owners if their LT1 has been re ringed and bored due to wear. I haven't heard of any.

IMO, the LS1 is the best production engine to date.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:47 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (LAvetteman)

The only problem I know of with LT1's is the recall for rod bearings and some minor issues with condensation in the opti spark. Other than that, they are great engines.

LS1 issues so far or some minor oil consumpion problems with different kinds of oil, but no major recalls.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (Budman78)

:lurk: :cool:
Old 12-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Bob Deeken
7th Gear

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (bob)

What started all this is I'm searching for an engine to build, then I'll find a Vette to put it in. I originally thought of a 427 BBC, but am a little hesitant due to the weight over the front wheels as I want to try SoloII. Next, I considered a SB400 destroked to 377 using a 350 sized crank. The reason for this is I don't trust a cast crank for even mildly serious performance applications. However, since a SB 400 with iron block and heads is 80% or more of the 427 weight I wouldn't be gaining much.

I caught the weight of the LS1 and LS6 and that seems ideal. However, the Idea of being unable to rebuild a used engine even once has no appeal to a budget minded guy like me. I am now exploring the idea of using something like the powerplant out of a sprinter - maybe something along the lines of a Dart small M block which is all alum has replaceable sleeves I'm told.

However, I haven't given up on the LS1's - I'm going to contact someplace like Barton's that does sleeving. However, 20 years ago it used to cost almost $800 to sleeve old iron Hemi motors and get the job done right.

The reason I'm going after a alum intake, heads and block combo is that a C3 is no liteweight at 3600-3800 Lbs ready to run. If I can move 200-400 Lbs off the nose, the car will handle better and gain some snap as a 3200-3400 lb car at the same horsepower levels. Besides, have you ever driven or ridden in a large bore short stroke car like a 302 camero? Now, take that that combo and add another 70 cubic inchs and you'll see where I'm going.

Bob
Old 12-30-2003, 07:20 PM
nunus79
Drifting

I've read similar things about not being able to overbore the LS motors. I think that is old news.

Racing technology/experience has shown that these motors can be resleeved successfully. They sell all-bore stroker kits for the LS1s. Yeah, there are horror stories of sleeves dropping etc. But I think certain companies like Darton are proving that resleeving can be done successfully.

Check out some of the LS1 sites for more info. LS1tech.com is a good one. BTW, I haven't put a wrench on the motor yet on my 2002 Z28 and I am running 12s@107. Damn good engine!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (nunus79)

There's an ongoing discussion right now on LS1tech regarding resleeving. It seems that MTI down in Texas is currently the best source for having it done. Some people have issues, others don't. Seems that MTI got a new machine and they're getting excellent results.
If all else fails, a new LS1 shortblock can be had for under $2k.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:09 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

What started all this is I'm searching for an engine to build, then I'll find a Vette to put it in. I originally thought of a 427 BBC, but am a little hesitant due to the weight over the front wheels .

Bob
Bob: Don't let that weight thing scare you off. There are aluminum blocks made by a few companies besides Chevy that will give you a BBC in 427-454CI with the weight of a small block. Plus you have those dandy valves the size of beer cans :D

Dep
Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (DJ Dep)

What started all this is I'm searching for an engine to build, then I'll find a Vette to put it in. I originally thought of a 427 BBC, but am a little hesitant due to the weight over the front wheels .

Bob

Bob: Don't let that weight thing scare you off. There are aluminum blocks made by a few companies besides Chevy that will give you a BBC in 427-454CI with the weight of a small block. Plus you have those dandy valves the size of beer cans :D

Dep
Those aluminum big blocks are just a little bit on the expensive side...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:18 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect (GrandSportC3)

Those aluminum big blocks are just a little bit on the expensive side...
Only if you use the Chevy blocks. I priced a complete kit engine and it came to around $8000. Not bad considering what you get. PAW sells them.

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect

Quick Reply: Why the ruckus over LT1's, LS1's, ect