C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box question.

Old 12-27-2003, 09:17 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Steering box question.

I have to get my steering box renewed, I was planning on shipping it to a pro to do the rebuild but now I saw this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2449788930

here is the stor itself http://www.fastcorvette.com/PartsMain.htm

Has anybody ever bought or dealth with him ? Like that i don't have to send my old one as core change.

[Modified by stingraymax, 2:24 PM 12/27/2003]
Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Default Re: Steering box question. (stingraymax)

I've done a few boxes and have another 4 on the bench to go. I don;t know this guy but would ask him and anyone else who's doing the work for you a couple of questions.

What is the pitman arm sideplay,anything over .002" isn't worth it IMO.
What do they set the lash screw endplay at, should be less then .002"
How do they set bearing preload and what spec? usually 4-5 in/lbs
Lash setting 10-14 in/lbs again how do they set them? I put a mark on the location for 10in/lbs and 14in/lbs so the end user can adjust the box for the feel they want without over tightening it.
If you don't get a good feeling after askig these questions buy the kit and do it yourself.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 12-27-2003, 04:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

stringraymax. Listen to gtr1999. There are refurbished boxes and rebuild boxes, the refurbished are no better then a cleaned up stocker. The rebuild takes into account pitman shaft clearance and end play. My stocker had .006 side play and without new custom bushings it would have been junk.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:58 PM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Steering box question. (norvalwilhelm)

OK Thanks for the reply's and info.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:45 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I checked out their web site. Looks pretty good!

Let me know what you find out about them and if you buy and your end results.

I like the no shipping or core charge.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:44 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Steering box question. (DP77Vette)

is ther grease that has to be checked in these boxes-i have a 73 and did every thing to the car but the box- i have power steering---do i have to pack the gears inside with grease????
Old 12-28-2003, 08:22 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Flaming River has new boxes. You might want to check them out if your not into originality.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Re: Steering box question. (gtr1999)

gtr1999, what do you charge to rebuild a 1969 steering box?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:01 AM
noskillz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Steering box question. (carl a)

Once the grease is in you really dont have to check to often though you can add more through on eof the cover plate bolt holes.

Yes, pack it with grease. You don't have to "pack" it in. I filled mine about half way or so. Enough to that the bearing carrier dips into the grease with each turn.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Steering box question. (noskillz)

You want to have some air space inside your manual gear. When things get hot underhood the grease inside the gear needs some space to expand. If the gear is filled 100% with grease, you run the risk of the pitman shaft seal and/or the input shaft seal blowing out from the internal pressure.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:05 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Steering box question. (Jim Shea)

so it doesnt matter if you have manual steering or power steering------ they both need grease? someone told me if it was power steering that the power steering fluid lubercates the gears in the gear box-is that true or do both types of steering need grease? to put some in what bolt do you remove to put the grease in???
Old 12-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

On a C-3 Corvette steering box there is no connection to the power steering fluid in the pump. It has to be greased just like a manual steering valve.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

All C2/C3 Corvettes have manual steering gears which are permanently lubricated with grease. With power steering there is a separate assist cylinder and a control valve that is attached to the end of the relay rod. The same manual gear is used regardless if you have power steering or manual steering.

You can remove any two side cover bolts to add grease to the gear. Add the grease through one hole and check the grease depth through the second hole. Do not turn the steering wheel and try and steer the car with two bolts removed from the side cover. This can cause the side cover to shift a slight amount and disturb the gear mesh setting. Also be sure to leave some air space inside the gear for grease expansion.

A good grade of lithium based chassis grease can be used for lubricant.

For your information, since around 1965 all GM cars and trucks with power steering (except Corvette) had what is called integral recirculating ball power steering gears. These power steering gears are lubricated by the power steering fluid that circulates through the system.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 3:31 PM 12/28/2003]
Old 12-28-2003, 10:21 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I use Mobil 1 auto grease, 1 tube will be more then enough. Like Jim said leave some room for expansion.

Mr D, I don't have a set amount for a rebuild. I do this as a hobby for friends and club members. Most times the parts and materials run about $100. This is for the cost of the :kit,grease,and paint. This doesn't include shipping or my time. If I have to make bushings up then it takes more time to machine them and hone to fit for the side clearence I set them up at. I polish the pitman shaft slightly where the bushings ride but not enough to cause a seal problem. Most of the kit bushings leave side clearence of .003-.006". I set them to between .001-.002", closer to .001"
As doing jobs such as rear bearings,differentials, or anything else on these cars,the finished product reflects the time put into it. I take my time and do the job like it's going on one of my cars. My cost may be higher then the $150 rebuilds I see advertised, but my boxes are completely gone through.If you need help let me know.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 10:25 PM 12/28/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Steering box question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering box question.