C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start

I guess we will see how honesty works out on E-bay, but the ad has been up about 3 hours and so far I've gotten alot of responses and a decent start to the bidding. I don't need a Harley(one of the responses) and a vette dealer is wanting to trade a C-5(of which I am looking for). I did take the time to highlight the vette at the top of all pages($58 total listing cost) to give myself a better chance. Lots of time to go as I listed it for 10 days. :cheers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2450416725
Old 12-25-2003, 11:40 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (Winging It)

Good Luck with the sale!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (GrandSportC3)

Thanks Olivier...

The Pewter colored C-5's are absolutely gorgeous and that's where I am headed. It's just something I've wanted to do and the time is right. Right now I am looking at going for a low milage '00-'01, but if things go right I will go '02.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:53 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

That is one sweet looking vette...Wish it could be sitting in my garage.
Neil in Tenn
Old 12-26-2003, 12:57 AM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (Nomad78SA)

Dont do it its to pretty to sell :cry
Old 12-26-2003, 01:06 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (78 Vette)

Barry, didn't you just bring that beauty home a few months ago? Thought I remember that thread of you waiting for it...hate to see it go...for a C5, but to each their own..good luck with your auction and Merry Christmas! :seeya
Old 12-26-2003, 02:05 AM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (81' Corvette Guy)

I see vette-buyer is high bidder, he owns Cn'V Corvette Sales in Arizona. So, depends on how bad he wants it. He usaully wait's to after the acution ends to make his final offer. Not trying to say anything bad about him, he's a businessman, but I have experinced his work first hand. I bid on a 71 couple, it did not meet the reserve and I was high bidder. After the auction, the seller emailed me and said I could buy it at my bid price. I called the seller the next morning early and vette buyer already bought and paid for it, and it was to be picked up that afternoon. I don't blame the seller, she already had three buyer back out of the deal with her and she had it up for sale for about 3 months. Hard to win an auction when he is aways bidding againt you.

Vette-buyer has the money, so if he wants it, it's his. Oh, the 71 I bid on sold for 10,500. that what I offered and that's what the lady said she sold it to VB for, his asking price on his web site was $21,000. Another one he won on ebay, paid 15,000. web site asking 22,500.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:03 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry to see you go. Wish I had the $$.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (1970 Stingray)

vette-buyer bought my car and the money was in my account within 8 hours in full. They know what they are doing. You have a beautiful vette and I'm sure it will go. I don't know if I would trade it for a C5 though.

Mick
Old 12-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (RC73)

'81 Corvette Guy...

You are correct that I have not had this vette very long. Ends up that having a nice C-3 in my garage is just not what I want any more. It just sits there until I have time for it... which is not alot. And my '86 Ford Stepside pickup which I have owned since new is up for the *new* inspection in March needing a new carb and complete exhaust to pass, so it's time to move on. I'm not dumping more money in it.

RC73...

The bidder *vette-buyer* has already contacted me offering a trade for a C-5. If he wants it and meets the reserve it is his. What he does with it afterwards is not my business. I'm not giving out the reserve, so it will be bid on by merit and not that number. The object of this is to sell it as honestly as I can and not have someone come back afterwards saying I left things out. I will buying locally when I go shopping for a C-5 and a long warranty to boot since my fixing days will be long gone then. :yesnod:

[Modified by Winging It, 8:31 AM 12/26/2003]
Old 12-26-2003, 09:30 AM
noskillz
Racer

Question for you guys that list things on eBay...

WHy do you not start the bidding at your reserve price or let the bidders know the reserve price? I mean, if there is a price point at which you won't sell the car, why not let the bidders know this rahter than have them enter worthless bids till reserve is reached at which point the reserve becomes obvious? I am just curious ... :confused:
Old 12-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start (noskillz)

noskillz...

By going this route I at least see what the market is and have bids that I can(not that I will) go to and see if they want the vette for that price. Again... I have no plans on doing that. I'm hoping those that are seriously wanting a LS-5 will step up. Maybe not of course. It's not the greatest time in the world to be selling a vette right after Christmas, but I have it ending on a holiday weekend when most everyone should be home with all the football games going on. Let's hope they leave the TV to bid. :lol:
Old 12-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

By the way...

The first e-mail response I got said... "I'll give you $7400 cash if you pull it off E-bay right now."

Duh! I guess you gotta expect the *bozo-syndrome* when dealing with E-bay. :cheers:
Old 12-26-2003, 09:49 AM
noskillz
Racer

Hmm, OK, I understand that.

From what I keep hearing about eBay - hidden reserves, highest bidder NOT getting option to buy, car sells before auction ends, STEALING auctions by bidding at the last millisecond, etc... eBay actions are NOT really auctions, most the time - just offers to negotiate a possible sale. Not trying to reflect on anyone in particular or trying to be critical - I guess I am just old fashioned. To me, an item for auction should have a starting bid price. The auction should continue untill ALL bidders are done. The items is sold to the highest bidder at the end of the auction. If no bids, the seller can reauction at a lower starting bid.

I gave up on eBay after trying for a while. How can I go into negotiations with a "seller" if I don't know how much $ they want? Or, after posting high bid, somone overbids with 1 second left and I don't have a chance to counter - long as people are bidding it should continue. And, no offense, but why would I want to work on winning an item when the buyer is just "fishing" and may or may not sell?? I stick to swap meets and classifieds - maybe I just can't adapt.

Just my 2 cents, but I am interested at what other buyers think
Old 12-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

noskillz....

I am one of those *certified snipers*, so I don't blame you for not liking the process. I've gotten taken down many times with a few seconds too. It's all a mute point if someone steps up to the plate and sticks a bid out there and it passes up the reserve. At that point every one is on their own and may the last sniper win. I can deal with that. :yesnod:
Old 12-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Marc01
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

I agree with you, noskillz. The Ebay system is flawed.
The reserve price and the last minute sniping just don't make sense.

I think they should require that the reserve price be posted, and
if a bid comes in, extend the auction for 20-30 minutes automatically - then all bids are for sure to stop before it ends and the 'real' value of the item comes out in the bid price.

Good luck with your sale, WingingIt. Its always pretty stressful selling / buying a car.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Ebay is a good move in my view. I had one guy in Boston, Mass call me on it and he had until 7pm to buy it one night because another guy was coming over (locally, but found the car on ebay) and the local guy ended up buying it.

I saved $$ on the % due to ebay because I ended the auction early and didn't have to pay the additional fees.

The guy from Mass emailed me later wishing he had "bought it now" but he waited too long to make up his mind, thus he had 2 Corvettes bought from underneath him.....

I also had it listed on Autotrader.com which netted me ONE call in 3 months... (soft used car market)

Good luck!

Bob :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start

Old 12-26-2003, 04:03 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

may the last sniper win. I can deal with that. :yesnod:
:withstupid:
Old 12-26-2003, 04:51 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I agree with 100% No, the whole auction process on Ebay is way too loose for me. I been to a hundred car auctions here on the east coast, and I bid till I'm sure it the other guys bid that will win. too many sellers on Ebay are just playing games I feel. I'm not knocking Ebay so much as I'm just old fashioned. I like to see who I'm bidding against and see what money is really being put up.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:58 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

When you really think about it, its not the last bid that wins the auction, its the highest bid. If you type in the max you would like to spend in the 1st minute of the auction or the last second of the auction its the same amount. If you get outbid with only a couple of seconds left to bid you didnt loose because of timing, you lost because the winner bid higher. I know, I know........ why get a bidding war going and drive the price up? It still boils down to the most $$$$.

Quick Reply: Put my vette on E-bay.... Good start