C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:16 PM
C3C4Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Headlights

I have some repair work to do to my headlights but I have been looking at these newer cars and there projection beam headlights. I was thinking of doing something similar to what Ferrari has done on their 360 Modena.
What do you guys think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6212
Old 12-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Custom Headlights (C3C4Z)

:skep:

sell the C3 and get a C6
Old 12-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Metal Wulf)

Interesting idea but the old sharks don't look right IMHO with fixed headlights.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:22 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Madmikeee)

Interesting idea but the old sharks don't look right IMHO with fixed headlights.
except mine :p:

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 9:23 AM 12/23/2003]
Old 12-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Custom Headlights (GrandSportC3)

that's cause yours isn't in the stock location... yours is great looking with the lights in the grill, but fixed headlights in the stock locations :U
Old 12-23-2003, 12:17 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen C3s with 2 versions of fixed headlights. The square ones and the round ones.

The square ones look terrible IMHO and you can see them on a few street C3s here and there. I thik you can buy the kit from vendors like Ecklers etc...

The round lights fixed looks great. They were on Lemans type race cars and had a plexiglass type covering over the round light that are fixed in the up position. It looks like 2 bubbles sort of and doesnt look too bad. I read somewhere that the plexiglass cover peices are hard to get and pretty freakin' expensive.

Given the choices though, I would still want the drop down OEM headlight set-up.

Brent...

Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (MN-Brent)

I also like the Lemans type headlights and have looked into the details of installation. It's not pretty!

Guldstrand sells the kits for about $600US - the "kit" includes exactly 4 pieces - two aluminum "buckets" and two plexiglas covers. Nothing is predrilled, no instructions - it's all up to the installer. There are not even a preset design for the actual bulb installation. I decided to keep my money in my pocket for the time being.

I've been looking into HID options for the lower grill to do something like GrandSportC3 but not square. I've seen the Xenon HID capsules from BMWs on Ebay and I am currently considering an installation based on those. The capsules have the alignment mechanisms built in.

Ryan
Old 12-24-2003, 01:15 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Custom Headlights (reidry)

I think that when i get into body stuff on my car, in many years, im going to go with the flip fornt end like gsc3. Then do one of those custom one peice front grills. Then mount the round headlights in there. Ive seen a few cars done that way and i love how they look, keeps the fornt end nice and clean.

MAtt
Old 12-24-2003, 03:26 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (pillowmeto)

All the non original headlight setups are butt ugly IMHO
Old 12-24-2003, 05:06 AM
doopsvette
Instructor

hey grandsport those are super sweet as i mentioned in my email to you a couple of weeks back, and yes im toying with that idea in my girl

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 9:23 AM 12/23/2003]
:cheers: :cheers: :p:
Old 12-24-2003, 08:01 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

GSC3, there has about the best looking concept/lights there I know of, slick install, good looking......but one problem, that is in state like Maryland where they actually check for DOT legal crap, and agressively pull over cars out of compliance, you can't drive it on the street, an old neighbor friend with a custom C3 has a very similar treatment, and he told me the situation, and it was ONE HUGE reason he could not retire to Pennsylvania...on account of the car ***** up there, inspections......less than 18 inches off the ground....

so I don't want to do something like that to my car, I too do not like those Ecklers trays I have in my car, as if anything else, they are so grossly DATED in appearance....so they are on the way out someday....but MY ideas involve taking the late headlights, about 1/2 height square from later Camaro there....and using that setup in the shark with operating doors again, but raising them only about 3 inches worth, not 6 inches or more....moving the lamps further forward, and reducing the depth of the doors front to back, making more of a 'slot' appearance than that huge gaping plate/hole....

GENE
Old 12-24-2003, 09:23 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Headlights (reidry)

I also like the Lemans type headlights and have looked into the details of installation. It's not pretty!

Guldstrand sells the kits for about $600US - the "kit" includes exactly 4 pieces - two aluminum "buckets" and two plexiglas covers. Nothing is predrilled, no instructions - it's all up to the installer. There are not even a preset design for the actual bulb installation. I decided to keep my money in my pocket for the time being.

I've been looking into HID options for the lower grill to do something like GrandSportC3 but not square. I've seen the Xenon HID capsules from BMWs on Ebay and I am currently considering an installation based on those. The capsules have the alignment mechanisms built in.

Ryan
I bought the buckets at the ncrs Orlando swap meet, bored them out and fit in 72' Datsun bulbs and trim rings (only ones I could find small enough) They are recessed enough that I'll be able to put the flat plexi lense on instead of the bubble ones. I don't have the lense yet, but so far only have $70 invested. Lense will be $100-$200 depending on if I can find them used or not. All total, not too expensive! I've also removed the stock grills/running lamps and fabbed a bracket to mount yellow beany lights to hang in the stock location. I want an open grill so you can look in and see the aluminum radiator, red & blue an fittings and braided lines. Kind of like you can look in the front of a Cobra and see that stuff. Not all there yet, but so far I;ve gotten positive feedback on the mods. :)

[Modified by litevette, 8:29 AM 12/24/2003]
Old 12-24-2003, 09:26 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Metal Wulf)

that's cause yours isn't in the stock location... yours is great looking with the lights in the grill, but fixed headlights in the stock locations :U
I don't like the custom headlights in the stock location either.. The only setup that I like is the one on some of the race C3's with the plexiglass cover on top...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:36 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Custom Headlights (mrvette)

GSC3, there has about the best looking concept/lights there I know of, slick install, good looking......but one problem, that is in state like Maryland where they actually check for DOT legal crap, and agressively pull over cars out of compliance, you can't drive it on the street, an old neighbor friend with a custom C3 has a very similar treatment, and he told me the situation, and it was ONE HUGE reason he could not retire to Pennsylvania...on account of the car ***** up there, inspections......less than 18 inches off the ground....

so I don't want to do something like that to my car, I too do not like those Ecklers trays I have in my car, as if anything else, they are so grossly DATED in appearance....so they are on the way out someday....but MY ideas involve taking the late headlights, about 1/2 height square from later Camaro there....and using that setup in the shark with operating doors again, but raising them only about 3 inches worth, not 6 inches or more....moving the lamps further forward, and reducing the depth of the doors front to back, making more of a 'slot' appearance than that huge gaping plate/hole....

GENE
I wonder about one thing.. If there was no law that regulated the height of the headlights in the year that the car was built and the car was converted then - I don't think that they can force you to put them back to the stock location??? I think that the laws that were in place when the car was built are the valid laws for a vehicle...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:39 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Here's my plan using mid 90's headlights from GM. You can find them in a Camaro, Grand Prix or even a Geo.

Old 12-24-2003, 09:43 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Headlights (74-Roadster)

Good artwork! :hurray:
Old 12-24-2003, 09:47 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

GSC3, all I know is my friend's comments, and knowing Maryland and Pa, I"m not sure how they get away with it.....stock height is required....far as I know....but you know, in Maryland, to get an inspection sticker, every year I think, I know when I left the state...you had to get your headlight alignment checked....no lie....headlight alignment...so in order to keep their inspection station license, my old hangout gas station had to spend major bux for this stupid alignment gear....installed and 'calibrated'.....I know my Ecklers tray thing most likely would not pass, as the side dispersion is not good at all...

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Headlights

Old 12-24-2003, 09:52 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Custom Headlights (74-Roadster)

74R, for sure nice drawing....and good concept, nice and clean, but once again in an **** state like Maryland, dictating every damn thing about whatever they can dream up....I dunno....probably flunk, same as GSC3....

that is why I am looking into making flip up lights with those bulbs, they are the ones I want to use....

I been cutting up some cheap junkyard mount plates, and playing with the stock C3 lids...broken ones from my old deer hitting experiences...and have found something more or less barely acceptable, maybe...but I still like the idea of custom lids too even though it's more work....

GENE
Old 12-24-2003, 09:57 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

This is the closest thing to Modena lights on C3 Corvette I've seen so far:

Old 12-24-2003, 10:16 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (groovyjay)

Here's a bit different approach:

Quick Reply: Custom Headlights