C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 10:19 AM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (74-Roadster)

now THAT looks cool
Old 12-24-2003, 10:21 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Custom Headlights (mrvette)

74R, for sure nice drawing....and good concept, nice and clean, but once again in an **** state like Maryland, dictating every damn thing about whatever they can dream up....I dunno....probably flunk, same as GSC3....
Yes. They would be too low in Texas. For an old corvette, I'm willing to risk an inspection shop bringing it up.

I'm also contemplating a new design with 180 flip lights on the leading edge of the nose similar to C2 lights using the low profile headlights shown. That would be a very involved modification, electric motors, custom bracketry, removal/modification of the front bumper etc. Since the look would be extremely trick and provide one of the nicest looking C3 noses, I'm gonna give it a shot. Another Forum member (MIKER) will be helping me when I take on the task.

With a 3 year old boy, pending garage & laundry room projects and a Sanden AC compressor sitting in the garage . . . it'll be a while. :eek: :eek:
Old 12-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Headlights (C3C4Z)

I'm not a fan of tampering with the Vette's design integrity. It has always looked best with it's intended stylings. I'm always amazed by all the mostly "bubbas" who think they can do it better. eBay is often no more than a gallery of their work. I don't even care for after market skirts, ground effects, and spoilers. They always look cheap IMNSHO.

If you are one of those people who MUST be different because you need that "look at me" attention, and assume your custom cosmetic endeavors will make your car the object of some sort of "rare" or "unique" car envy, well chances are I for one will not be impressed by your "reinterpretations". Sticking on F car front and rear ends, 240Z headlamps and El Dorado hybrids make Harley Earl roll in his grave, and make you deserving of a lifetime of dirty stares, chuckles and off handed remarks. Even the Calloway's cosmetics on the later generations looked goofy as far as I'm concerned, so if they can't do it well in the cosmetics department, chances are you can't either.

Those static rectangular C3 after market headlamp kits look like poop. Trying to make a C3's headlamps look like a Ferrari's is strange as far as I'm concerned. The ONLY alternate headlamp set up I felt looked good was the Guldstrand kit, but that was originally for a dedicated race car, so that's the context under which I think it looks good. I don't know about a street Vette though.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Custom Headlights (C3C4Z)

I like MRVette's Idea of putting newer style lights like the camaro's in the old flip-up housings.
I have seen some good looking conversions but i just can't get used to anything other than the flip-up personally.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Armstrong)

Well, you know as my life goes on I am find less time recently to devote to the vette, and enthusiasm either, due to arthritis...love to be able to do all that and a 'bowl of soup too'...as it were.....

However, the final solution of the shark headlight 'problem' will soon be undertaken, and it's not easy for sure...so many good comments and possible solutions...frankly I would love to eliminate the extra complications and weight of operating/flipping headlights....so much simpler....
thing is...the location to keep the ***** off my tail....
gotta keep 18 inches or higher...which is funny, as those offensive SUVs all jacked up typically BLIND any other driver they are behind....so I just race ahead of them so I can see again....;-)))

been thinking, playing, and 69 my way down the street here is a good consult there....I have a suspicion given the time and weather, we can come up with a totally trick solution...
got me thinking...180* flip like the mid years....hummmmm.....gotta be done without cutting the chrome bumper....

hrumpfgth.........

GENE
Old 12-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, groovyjay...got any info on those lights?...they're not too bad...are they kits, or what?...I kinda dig the second option...not too noticable on a black vette (like mine, heh...)
Old 12-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (groovyjay)

Here's a bit different approach:

that looks good, is it a german car?
Old 12-24-2003, 08:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

GSC3, all I know is my friend's comments, and knowing Maryland and Pa, I"m not sure how they get away with it.....stock height is required....far as I know....but you know, in Maryland, to get an inspection sticker, every year I think, I know when I left the state...you had to get your headlight alignment checked....no lie....headlight alignment...so in order to keep their inspection station license, my old hangout gas station had to spend major bux for this stupid alignment gear....installed and 'calibrated'.....I know my Ecklers tray thing most likely would not pass, as the side dispersion is not good at all...

GENE
Makes me happy that I'm living in Florida!! Couldn't live with those laws.....
Old 12-24-2003, 08:44 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Here's my plan using mid 90's headlights from GM. You can find them in a Camaro, Grand Prix or even a Geo.

That'd look :cool:!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Custom Headlights (groovyjay)

Here's a bit different approach:

I like that look!! Looks different but :cool: :cool: .

Would like to see more pics of that car...
Old 12-24-2003, 08:55 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Here's my plan using mid 90's headlights from GM. You can find them in a Camaro, Grand Prix or even a Geo.

I really like this look. :cool: :thumbs:
Old 12-24-2003, 09:22 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Custom Headlights (jlsru75)

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Drawing a concept is one thing, building it is another. I have at least 140 plus hours in my nose and grill and haven't even begun the headlight portion.

And for the member who doesn't like custom . . . to each his own. 69MyWay is as custom as they come and I love his car. There are others on here as well that look so cool, too much effort to list them all since there are so many. Spend your time in the factory correct restoration forum. This group tends to honor everyones own desires unless someone specifically ask for opinions.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it is a german corvette, I thought I'd seen that before, it was at Idstein this year:

Hmm, from this point of view it doesn't look quite as good:
Old 12-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Glen - Nice artwork! Knowing the kind of work you do on other things there is no doubt your car will be beautiful and definately one of a kind. :cheers:

Dave
Old 12-25-2003, 10:55 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Corvette_fetish)

I'm not a fan of tampering with the Vette's design integrity. It has always looked best with it's intended stylings. I'm always amazed by all the mostly "bubbas" who think they can do it better. eBay is often no more than a gallery of their work. I don't even care for after market skirts, ground effects, and spoilers. They always look cheap IMNSHO.

If you are one of those people who MUST be different because you need that "look at me" attention, and assume your custom cosmetic endeavors will make your car the object of some sort of "rare" or "unique" car envy, well chances are I for one will not be impressed by your "reinterpretations". Sticking on F car front and rear ends, 240Z headlamps and El Dorado hybrids make Harley Earl roll in his grave, and make you deserving of a lifetime of dirty stares, chuckles and off handed remarks. Even the Calloway's cosmetics on the later generations looked goofy as far as I'm concerned, so if they can't do it well in the cosmetics department, chances are you can't either.

Those static rectangular C3 after market headlamp kits look like poop. Trying to make a C3's headlamps look like a Ferrari's is strange as far as I'm concerned. The ONLY alternate headlamp set up I felt looked good was the Guldstrand kit, but that was originally for a dedicated race car, so that's the context under which I think it looks good. I don't know about a street Vette though.

Just my opinion.
Well said! Thank you :cheers:
Old 12-25-2003, 11:18 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Custom Headlights (Twin_Turbo)

it is a german corvette, I thought I'd seen that before, it was at Idstein this year:

Hmm, from this point of view it doesn't look quite as good:
It doesn't look as good as in the other pictures.. but it's still :cool:
Old 12-25-2003, 11:35 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Headlights (GrandSportC3)

:iagree: Somebody is good with bodywork and fabrication!

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Headlights

Old 12-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Custom Headlights (litevette)

:iagree: :iagree:
I think it still looks sweet!
Old 12-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

...And for the member who doesn't like custom . . . to each his own. 69MyWay is as custom as they come and I love his car. There are others on here as well that look so cool, too much effort to list them all since there are so many. Spend your time in the factory correct restoration forum. This group tends to honor everyones own desires unless someone specifically ask for opinions.
Well, "C3C4Z" did ask, and I quote, "...What do you guys think?". I consider that soliciting an opinion, therefore I gave mine. Folks can take it or leave it. The bottom line is, as a fellow Vette owner said to me once, it's your car, not mine, the N.C.R.S's or anybody else's. Do with it what makes you happy regardless of what the rest of us may or may not think. I personally think the car looks best the way it came, and I'm not ashamed of my opinion. If an opinion would not have been solicited, I would not have responded, just passed over this thread. As far as factory correct resto goes, my '79 has an L98, a TH400, had been lowered, is Pontiac Can Am white, and I could go on. I'm not a stock stickler, but when it comes to tampering with the fundamental design, I don't care for it. For me that's when a Corvette stops looking like a Corvette, but that's just me. I was indirectly asked, so I answered. That simple.

[Modified by Corvette_fetish, 5:00 PM 12/29/2003]
Old 12-30-2003, 08:40 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gene,
I like the idea of the smaller rectangular lights in the stock popup location.
It seems to me that bolting the headlights in would be fairly simple but then you'd have to modify the linkage to get the right popup distance and then would have to make custom trim pieces to make it look good.

Personally I like the round popups and mine seem to work so I will keep them...

Quick Reply: Custom Headlights