C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:07 PM
oprahrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values.

I'm looking at a 1977 Corvette, 32,000 original miles, new Dark Blue Metalic paint job. But not sure how good it is. They painted over the rock chips on the nose piece. The white leather interior is fair, no tears, just some worn spots. 350ci, 4speed, air (does not work). Power steering pump leaks or the lines do..........that's about it I guess. Drives OK

The guy wants $8,000 for it.
How is that?......Any chance that this will be a valuable car one day?

Thanks for your help......
Bill Handrahan
66 Stingray Roadster

[Modified by oprahrider, 1:09 AM 12/23/2003]

[Modified by oprahrider, 1:13 AM 12/23/2003]
Old 12-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (oprahrider)

Depending on the condition of the frame (rust, rotting) I'd say that's a pretty darn good deal. If it truly does have 32K in original miles, and the interior is in good shape, then I'd say it's definetely worth picking up. Just my opinion though...

[Modified by Jasonty, 7:12 PM 12/22/2003]
Old 12-22-2003, 09:34 PM
oprahrider
Instructor

Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (Jasonty)

The guy tells me he bought the car new in 77 in Hawaii........

That makes me nervous right there!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (oprahrider)

Why does it make you nervous about Hawaii? I don't know about the climate, but it would seem no humidity, but then again I guess lots of salt air.

I can make all kinds of enemies making a note whether the '77's will be worth something. I'd say having it being a leather interior vette.... 4 speed... A/C.... and low milage is a definite plus. It would be nice if it is a L-82 or at least matching #'s car for it to hold(increase) in value. If the vette does not have the original engine I'd say 32,000 miles is not true. Power steering is nothing to do, but the A/C will probably need an upgrade which can get pricey.

Sounds pretty reasonable with the low miles. Of course... frame, frame, frame & birdcage. :cheers:
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (Winging It)

Sounds reasonable for a 32K car, but I'd have serious doubts about that 32K if there's a good deal of wear in the interior. Does it drive like a 32K car (no rattles, tight steering, firm suspension)? Look at the brake pedal--if there's noticible wear there, it's very doubtful it's a low milage car (even when people put in new carpet to hide high milage, they usually don't change the rubber pads on the pedals).

JB
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (Winging It)

I'm going with 132,000 miles or 232,000 mile. Cars with 32,000 miles don't have worn out interior or worn spots. $6,000 or better on a 77. All vettes go up in value, but not a collector year. If it has an L-82 4 speed in dark blue then yes. Because blue was a low production color in a high option car. Just sounds like a high mileage base model from your limited description.

Good luck.. :cheers:
Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

32K original miles???? I really wonder about that. Anyway I would say pretty much the same as the others, it really depends on what condition the frame is in. Also the brakes need to be checked. How are you looking at this Vette if it is in Hawaii? What city? I see from your avatar the you are in Cali., is that correct?
Do you know where in Hawaii the Vette is located? I only ask because I know of a Dark Metalic Blue Vette that is for sale down the street from me and I
was wondering if it's the same car. If you are in Cali I would think you should be able to pick up a reasonable Vette there because the market is bigger and you would not have to pay for shipping. If you bought this Vette for 8k and shipping was another 1k, that 9k already. Just wondering.

:seeya
Old 12-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Here's a good one I posted for a friend that would be a reasonable comparison to value. I certainly do believe low mileage C3's in good condition will go up in price over the years. Think about what a 76 or 77 was worth 25 years ago, and what they are worth now. 25 years from now they will probably be out of reach for the average person. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=703401
Old 12-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not go over $5,500. The discription sounds more like a 132,000 mile car if it has worn carpeting. Just my opinion
Old 12-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (Roadster71)

Worn spots on the seats on a 32K mile car? I'd say it's probably 132K mile car. That would change things quite a bit... But I'm curious as are the others, where is this car, and if it is in Hawaii, how are you gonna inspect it? Just some FYI, I lived on Maui for a year, and things rust out pretty quick over there if they aren't taken care of properly. Of course, we lived pretty close to the ocean, it was our backyard... ;)
Old 12-24-2003, 12:09 PM
oprahrider
Instructor

Default Re: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values. (Jasonty)

Sorry Guys, The car was bought new in Hawaii.........It has been in Calif. for all but the first 5 years of it's live.

As you know Hawaii is about 110% humidity 100% of the time. That is why I was worried.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above, low milage cars do not have worn seats or carpt. Mine was a 42,000 mile car when purchased and the carpet & seats were near perfect.
77's can be bought cheap. Check ebay for price comparison. Offer $6K at the most.
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values.

Quick Reply: Is this a good buy- I'm a C2 Guy and have no idea of C3 values.