C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 vett gauge says hot when its not

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:49 PM
dut
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 vett gauge says hot when its not

I'm beaten my head against the wall on this one. Its 40 degrees outside, within two minutes my temp gauge is pegged out but the heater puts out nothing but cold air. I checked the thermostat, its good, I replaced the temp. sending unit that goes on the drivers side of the engine block, and still have the problem. I would think that if it were heater core I would get the sweet freon smell or at least see some freon in the floor board. I have none of that. I would think that if the heater core wore clogged that the engine would actually overheat. Is there a fuse some where near the heater that needs attention? HELP! :banghead:
Old 12-21-2003, 10:13 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 80 vett gauge says hot when its not (dut)

what level is your coolant? If you are down on coolant, you won't get any heat, but for that, you almost have to have an empty radiator.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

The problem with the gage might be the gage. Maybe even the wiriing.
Is the heater hose shutoff valve still connected? Maybe that is not opening.
The heater core could be totally clogged and no letting in the heated water. This would not cause an overheating problem. most of the cooling is done by the radiator. If the core was clogged, the cooling system would act as if the heatcore was totally bypassed.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Twice I had an erratic temp gauge...turned out to be the incorrect temp sensor. The second time this happened it was air pockets in the coolant hoses. My temp gauge would go from 180 to 250+ in less than 1 minute. I drilled several very small holes in the outer edge of my thermostat to let air pass thru but almost no coolant could pass thru. When I fill the radiator, I first remove the upper radiator hose from the intake. I fill up the radiator until coolant is around the thermostat. Then I reinstall the upper radiator hose and finish filling. Its a lot of work just to fill the coolant but keeps air pockets out of the system.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
tim_briz
Advanced

I had a similiar problem a few months back and it turned out to be a bad crimp on the connector that hooks to the temperature gauge. I crimped on a new one and it has worked great ever since. You may want to check the wire also. If a fuse was your problem it wouldn't work at all.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To 80 vett gauge says hot when its not

Quick Reply: 80 vett gauge says hot when its not