C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OD trans., What about GM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 PM
madman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OD trans., What about GM?

I would like to install a 5/6 spd tranny in my '79, but don't have $2500+ to buy a Tremec and kit. What about the tranny's in Camaros and Firebirds (pre 1997?) ? Wouldn't they work out?

My son has a 1998 Mustange with a T5. I would think accept for the bellhousing being integral with the case that it would work since it is a Tremec.

Anyone out there used a tranny out of a GM vehicle?

Old 12-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (madman)

I think it requires an adapter plate, someone here on the forum has one (Norval I think.)
Old 12-14-2003, 05:19 PM
applevette
Instructor

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (Smokehouse69)

I think it's Twin_Turbo that has one.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:09 PM
C3C4Z
Heel & Toe

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (madman)

I installed a T56 from a 95 Z28 in my 71 Corvette. It was a challenge but I think worth it. I still have a few bugs to work out. There are a few challenges and added expenses involved in this conversion. I suggest surfing the F-Body boards since it is a popular conversion on older F Bodies.
- It bolts right to the older pre=87 blocks but you need a pull clutch.
- The Pull Clutch requires a Hydraulic Clutch set-up. Very tricky to hook up to the clutch pedal. I haven't been able to do this satisfactorily yet. I can drive it but the pedal pressure is very very high. It should be easier so I have issues there.
- Speedo, You have to convert the Electronic VSS Signal to a mechanical speedo or change your speedo.
- Crossmember, you have to have a bolt in or very modified member so you can bolt it in. This requires much welding and fabricating.
- Shifter, I had to hack up my console to get it in.
- Driveshaft, you will have to change the length of your driveshaft as well.
I like the double overdrive but after I saw you could get a Keisler Tremec I was very upset. This would of been the trans of choice for me.
The Conversion was very challenging and I don't recommend it since I sent very nearly what the bolt in would of cost.
Don't even think of using the stock T5 since it is very weak. They don't hold up and it is chancy to buy a used one. That is why they are so cheap.
Good Luck. :chevy :confused:
Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (Smokehouse69)

I think it requires an adapter plate, someone here on the forum has one (Norval I think.)
:iagree: Norval is running a T5 out of a Mustang (I believe) behind that Blown engine he has. from what I've heard he's quite happy with it. Maybe if he see's this he'll chime in and tell you what he did to make it fit.

Steve :steering:
Old 12-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Pacha
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (C3C4Z)

I can drive it but the pedal pressure is very very high. It should be easier so I have issues there.
Maybe it can be solved with a different clutch pedal ratio or with a smaller diameter master cylinder.
Did you use the stock flywheel?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
C3C4Z
Heel & Toe

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (Pacha)

I have completely the wrong angle on the pedal. It is about 1/2 down the clutch pedal arm. I am reworking the Master to mount much higher and hopefully on the factory pin. It has been lots of fun!!
I have a 400 small block so I have a custom flywheel since it is externally balanced.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: OD trans., What about GM? (C3C4Z)

I have a T-56 in my 80 Camaro... It's an excellent transmission... Never had a problem with it, and the motor puts out about 310hp/350 ft. lbs tq...

Get notified of new replies

To OD trans., What about GM?

Quick Reply: OD trans., What about GM?