C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Marc01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default I'm back!

Well, due to a small fire at our house during extensive renovations, AND having our first baby immediately after, I was forced to take almost a year off from bringing the 'Vette back to its glory. (The fire didn't touch the car, by the way)
I had already finished the whole interior, a/c, heater, brakes, rear suspension and transmission. I was right in the middle of sanding it down for a paint job when the fire happened in the beginning of Feb, and the poor car has been sitting under a cheap car cover since then.

But now life is back to normal, so I took the cover off and got in. The smell of new leather still lingered and welcomed me back.
I turned it over, and after about 10 seconds of cranking, it started right up and I heard that familiar roar and "blub blub blub" from the exhaust.
My neighbor was outside across the street and had seen it sitting out there for the past 11 months. He walked over and said, "God, how'd you get that thing to just start up like that after sitting so long?"
I honestly don't know, I haven't done a -thing- to tune the engine up, but whoever had the car before me did a great job to keep the engine purring along.
Its strange that many people have the opposite problem as me - their car is ready to roll, but they can't get the engine to cooperate. My engine has been running fine from day one, but isn't ready to drive. :crazy:

As a side note, I noticed something interesting when checking the car out.
I had it running, and flipped on the lights. I switched to 'brights', and the high-beam light didn't come on. I pulled up the parking brake handle, and that light didn't come on. I flipped the turn signal both ways, and those lights didn't come on.
I played with them for about a minute, and the bulbs started to come to life. Its strange that after sitting that long, the bulbs had to 'warm-up' to start working. Hmm.

Anyway, now I'm back out there, sanding away, hoping to get the paint done soon. I feel like a kid at Christmas! Wait, it IS Christmas! :)

Okay, enough about me... back to work.
:cheers:
Marc
Old 12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I'm back! (Marc78)

man i've never had a battery start a car after 10 months, maybe the cold does play a part in it.. fuel here would be stall as h@#* :thumbs:
Old 12-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Marc01
Racer

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I'm back! (comp)

Well, actually, I bought a new batt - but it didn't die from sitting around all that time. It was actually dead in Feb because of a slow drain somewhere in the car. I've got a Zip disconnect switch (****) on it now.

The weather helps too, I guess. It didn't get much colder than mid 40's around here in the past year.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:39 PM
standup
Drifting

.......It was actually dead in Feb because of a slow drain somewhere in the car.........
Maybe this has something to do with your lights?????? I've never heard of bulbs having to warm up......at least not since Edison invented them......

Welcome back :cheers:
Old 12-13-2003, 01:46 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I'm back! (standup)

Glad to hear your back to work on it..and I hope all your bad luck, and rugrat days are few and far between now.... :thumbs:
Old 12-13-2003, 01:56 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back! Thanks for checking in with an update. :seeya
Old 12-13-2003, 04:44 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I'm back! (DMONSVETTE)

Welcome back..