C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about C3's

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about C3's

I am currently having a VERY tough time trying to find a car that is right for me.
What i'm looking for is a fun car to drive, something that looks good and stuff, something that I can work on over time.....something that to begin with will be around 5 or 6 k in a condition that would get me maybe 10 miles a day/4 days a week or so.....
Over time, as i get more money, I will be working on the car. I want something different than what other people my age drive, and I'm just not really into the old Nova's, Impallas, etc...but one car that i have always loved is the mid/late C3 Corvettes. If i did get one that was running and was in OK shape (paint doesnt need to be good, i'd be painting it anyway, but if the body is in good shape than thats better), what would i be expecting to pay?
What i would do is eventually put an LT1 with a T56 6 speed in it, redo the interior, maybe put the daytona body kit on it.....
What do you think about it?
My other ideas are a Buick Grand National, but i dunno...they dont have the look i really like, theyre super fast but i really want V8, and they are really hard to find...., Fourth generation LT1 f-bodies, but i dont like how ya can barely get to the engine.....Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe but again thats V6 and not really the look I like.....
Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
AKRAY4PLAY
Instructor

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (Jorf)

since your on the Vette forum, i guess that you are interested in a C3. you can pick up a decent mid '70's for $5-6000, right in your budget. i bought mine for $3700 in perfect running order and great body/paint. look over several, it is tempting to get the first nice one but don't buy a pile. it will be very obvious if the car was abused or taken care of, and everyone here will be glad to answer any questions you have about fixing her up. happy hunting! Brian
Old 12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (AKRAY4PLAY)

you can pick up a decent mid '70's for $5-6000, right in your budget.
:iagree:

Mid-to-late 70's car. May even find a C4 car "in the rough" for the same $$$$$. Looks like you're only 15 years old right now, but headed in the right initial direction in auto choices! :D

Find a vette that has the equipment you like and go from there. Paint color and interior color can be changed down the road, but factory options are sometimes tough to install on your own.

If you're looking to customize at a later date I'm still partial to the C3 (1968-1982) vettes.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Keep us posted as to what you eventually get.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (ettev)

:seeya Welcome
Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (Van Steel)

Yes, i am 15, but Dec. 20th i turn 16, i've sorta got a car to use probably till the middle/end of the summer (my dad just bought an Infiniti G35x, I just fixed his 97 Cadillac Catera so he's gonna let me use it until we sell it), so it wont be my first car.
Everyone I talk to about the possibility of a 'Vette says i'm crazy. I certiantly understand in a way, and I definatly dont want to look like some kid whos parents bought him a Corvette as his first real car.....and that wont be the case by ANY stretch.....I'll be lucky if my parents will pay for half of my insurance! My mom of course was like 'you wont be able to afford it, you will get pulled over by the cops alot, etc.'....I know for a fact that i could get a C3 or C4 for my price range....i've seen them before....And as for being pulled over by the cops alot, thats fine by me....I firmly intend to be a safe and careful driver that obeys all traffic laws, especially for my first few years of having my licence....so if they wanna pull me over, thats fine...but good luck finding something to ticket me for ;-)

Can anyone recomend some websites with info on stuff for C3's? engine/tranny swaps, the Daytona body kit or the Maco Shark thing.....one of my friends said something about that....
Thx
Old 12-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (ettev)

Yeah i've looked at C4's and stuff....I dunno, unless i could find myself a really late C4 with a 6 speed in good condition, i dont think i'd really go for it.....i mean i like the Grand Sports and ZR1's, but the C3's look better IMO :-P
Old 12-10-2003, 07:45 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A few questions about C3's

First: welcome to the forum :seeya

Get the C3, there's nothing like them on the road. You're right when you say you're going after a car that other kids your age don't usually get. I drove my dad's Studebaker Avanti to high school for the most part and it always gets looked at because it's rare and sounds niiiiice (Paxton blown 5L with glasspacks out of the factory that way)

I picked up my customized 1969 days before my 24th birthday. My step-mom had a '92 when I was in high school and we got the Corvette poster that breaks down the years. I told myself that by 25 I was going to have a '68 or '69 Vette and I made it.

I bought mine for $7000 and while the body isn't what I wanted exactly ('78-'82 rear bubble window with '70-'72 egg-crate gills) it ran fine for awhile... until the crank broke about a year ago and caused internal engine damage. She's been down ever since. While the car has been down I've taken the opportunity to pick up a cheap daily driver and I've upgraded the shocks, springs, bought a new gas tank, will get a new cooling system with electric fans, headers, bigger exhaust and the new engine is pretty much going to rock compared to stock. Hopefully I can drive it again starting in January or so. These cars are tempermental and need TLC, especially if they've had rough prior owners. Though if you've fixed your dad's car, you've probably played with components far more sophisticated than what you'll find on a C3 (or any '60s-'70s car)

If you give me some time I can actually dig up a page where someone on the forum transplanted a late model LT engine into his C3. It's a direct fit, the motor mounts are the same. There is even a way to install the LS series engines into our cars, you put in a bracket that adapts the motor mounts on the block to the frame and it's a nice install; that's what I'm going for.

T56 transmissions will bolt in with some fabrication. I believe the transmission tunnel needs to be widened, but it can be done, I too am looking at this for the long-term... I'll post my sig :D

Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to ask people who may be local to a car you're looking at, to check it out. The people who make up this forum know Corvettes and can find things the average car person may not know about. :chevy
Old 12-10-2003, 07:49 PM
AKRAY4PLAY
Instructor

16 and insurance, ouch!! you would be better going for a '74-'77, they are in the classic stage for insurance, so you may find a little break there. attending a driver's education course helps knock off a little money as well. check with the insurance guys about agreed coverage. most companies will give you blue book price if you total the car or it is stolen. problem is the blue book is about $900. read the policy carefully before you sign it, having a parent on the policy and title may also be necessary, state law in some places. any upgrades or fixing on the car, SAVE THE RECEITS!! they will save your butt when dealing with insurance adjusters and/or pushy salesmen.
performance up-grades are limitless, just depends on your wallet. smog regulations are the biggy, so if the tail pipe cops are a problem, go for a '74. small blocks are less expensive than big blocks, both in maintenance and fuel. big blocks hold value better, but you should not loose money on a C3 if you go to sell it.
i think it would be killer to roll to high school in your own Vette! not a lot of guys can say they had a sweet classic Vette in high school. buying it yourself is double sweet. if you can, swing it!! Brian
Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (AKRAY4PLAY)

yeah...i agree about rolling into the parking lot at school with the cars idle drowning out the drone of the ricers
it definatly wouldnt be the most expensive car in the parking lot, some rich girls parents bought her a brand new M3 convertable this year, and she's only a junior!
There are also two lincolin navigators that i'm almost sure are owned by students themselfs not their parents.....
i'm not looking to draw much attention to me or the car, i'd probaly kill myself if one day the secratary announced over the loudspeaker system that the owner of a corvette needs to shut his lights off or something....lol but i want something that I like and stuff....
how about a t5? would that still need the tranny tunnel widened or is it just the t56? i will be doing almost all of the stuff, including paint, in my garage so the less custom fabrication for stuff like that, the better. but how much power/torque can a t5 hold up?

another question...exhaust.....i want something REALLY deep and loud but not loud enough that at 3k its gonna just be asking for the cops to pull me over.....but by no means do i want something quiet....lol just not open headers haha

and as far as insurance....well, at my age insurance for anything is pretty much the same from what i've heard......
If i say i only will be driving the car like under 15k a year would that get better insurance cause pretty much i'll be sticking in my town, sometimes going up to Epping NH to NewEngland Dragway.....
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A few questions about C3's

LT1 install: http://www.vetteworksonline.com/LT1%20conversion.htm
T56 install: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gwhite75//index.htm
LS1 install: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/ls1.shtml
Look to the left of the forum on that light blue bar. Click on 'search' set the Forum to C3 Corvettes and the data set to Archived Topics. Then search for whatever you want (LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6, LT5, T5, T56, etc..)

Exhaust is a personal preference. I'm going to try Spin Tech http://www.spintechmufflers.com when I get my car going again. A) not everyone and their brother has them *cough* Flowmasters *cough* and B) they're deep and throaty (listen to clips on their website) but don't have extra "noise."

About the T-5 I'm not sure if the dimensions are different, but via Tremec's website, it looks like the strongest T-5 can handle 300 ft./lbs. of torque.
Tremec Auto website: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...cts/tremec.asp
A lot of people recommend the Richmond 6 speed because it bolts right into the car.

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 6:44 PM 12/10/2003]
Old 12-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Cblman
Heel & Toe

by all means smoke the ricers! anyway if ur worried about insurance just get liability, if u crash ur vette just go and pick up as many pieces as u can because withg the C3's the body is fiberglass, all u would have to do is glue them together, sand it, and repaint it :)
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Hey, I noticed you're from Chelmsford. I almost ate sh** there one day two years ago (I used to live in MA). You know if you're driving past the high school (like you got off the rotary) drive past Sully's, take an easy right (like you're going to the other end of the high school) and take that left that is opposite the HS entrance? It was late April and the sand was still on the road, I made that left, hit the throttle and then my azz end started walking because of all the crap on the road. I ran off the road into the side of the road, where there was a crapload of sand piled up, and that's what stopped me from going sideways into the trees :eek: So be careful at that spot...it's CURSED! But do buy the C3, you'll love it :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (79Corvette02)

hahaha
yeah
i go to CHS so i know exactly where your talking about lol

As for the exhaust, here is a video of possibly my favorite corvette at the local cruise nights (79corvette02 ya may notice this was behind the BurgerKing at Drum Hill ;-) Spindle City Corvette cruise nights) and at idle it is the best sound ever.....but as soon as the guy gets in the car for some reason the exhaust sound quiets down, and i know its not a cutout cause its not that much of a sound difference. the guy doesnt know TOO much about the car...i asked what sort of exhaust he has on it and he said he wasnt sure or something (honestly i couldnt completly hear him hahha)
http://home.comcast.net/~speedingpen...enight_052.MOV
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
AKRAY4PLAY
Instructor

this will give you some indication of what you can do for performance upgrades. http://www.c3sharktank.com/sound/burnout.mov. as for the tranny, you might want to look at a GearVendors set-up. it is far stronger than newer overdrive trannies. a little weird to get used to, but they work great. http://www.gearvendors.com/. best thing is they are super easy to install!! Brian
Old 12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

I actually considered joining Spindle City, and I attended a few of those cruise ins, but it was a long trek for my car (actually, less than 20 miles, but I have 4.56 gears and a TH350 :eek: :D ). That white car in the vid does sound pretty mean. There are plenty of loud exhausts that won't give you any interior resonance-Flowmaster Delta's, some of the Borlas, Magnaflows,etc... I'm an azzhole, so I run straight pipes :thumbs:
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Jorf
Cruising

Default Re: A few questions about C3's (79Corvette02)

yah i love spindle city cause theyre cruise nights are so cool haha
i'm telling you man.....that video makes the car sound like a ricer compared to real life....i dont know what it is about that car...i mean my uncle has a 65 AC Shelby Cobra, and I dont think that it sounds as mean as that corvette.....When the guy starts it up i mean.....the ground shakes.......its not that its deafeningly loud, but i mean its so deep and stuff that...oh man! words cannot discribe it! hahaha Maybe this spring when they start the cruise nights up again i'll get serious and demand that the guy tell me what exhaust system he has...or maybe i'll just crawl under the car with a flashlight and see if i can find any lables...haha
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
aharte
Drifting

I got my 74 at 17, and I certainly don't regret it. Go for it :thumbs:.

The vette wasn't particularly expensive for me insurance-wise. My 86 mercedes costs more even though its worth a lot less :confused:.

It might be difficult to find a vette under $6k that's actually fun to drive. Most of the cheap ones are really slow unless they're modded.

[Modified by aharte, 3:27 AM 12/12/2003]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Jorf
Cruising

yeah...i understand that.....i am not expecting an instant fun mobile, but i will be modding it fairly soon after buying it so it WILL be a fun car to drive, if not at first, then probably the summer after this upcoming one :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions about C3's

Quick Reply: A few questions about C3's