C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:16 PM
hiyosilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (BBShark)

I see alady in williamsburg va everyday driving anew c5 .This lady appears to be 80 .A cool old grandma .You got lots of years left in you.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (71-LS5)

71-LS5,
No it does not get easier with age. But I must say that I have been fortunate in a health sense although the neck is a little stiff in the morning. Especially as the winter is settling in. I went from those comfy C3 1979 4" bolster seats to what you see below. And with no problem. There is no back support but they do not give me a problem for some reason. I do have a problem with having only lap belts for safety reasons. Of 22,940 1967s produced only 1,426 had the shoulder belt option. I am now having a set produced for me in CA and that will be a Christmas present from the Wife. Bless her! I scored an original shoulder belt cup holder off EBay in October so that is a go for spring. Thanks for replying to my post!

Old 11-24-2003, 10:22 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (hiyosilver)

Paul
You post reminds me of this last summer I was in a smaller town with the vette, Red Wing, Mineesota, when an older couple pulled up next to me in a maroon C5 vert. They were probably late 60s in age. He says to me "You got a Hemi in that thing? :lol: I kind of laughed and said something like "Not since the last time I looked."

He was kidding around of course, but it looked like him and his wife were just having the time of their lives out riding in their vette.

The moral to me was if your still having fun, then keep on keepin on'.

Brent...
Old 11-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Brons2
Heel & Toe

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (paul67)

I think some of you older guys should get back in the gym. At my gym, they have several trainers that work with older people in flexibility, strength training and cardiovascular improvement. Most of the people I know who have signed up for this said it has enriched their lives. Think of it the next time you have to lift up a heavy head or intake manifold.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:05 PM
blunsford
Racer

For several years I suffered with very chronic lower back pain. one or two weeks a year were spent on total bed rest and I spent at least half of each year in some degree of pain. I now have not had any lower back pain for the past few years. I made 2 simple changes and lost some weight. One I bought one of those high end air mattresses. Two, (Most important!) I stretch EVERY SINGLE MORNING! Without fail. I cannot over emphasize how important this is and what an unbelieveable pleasure it is to be lower back pain free. I do it in the shower with very hot water hitting my lower back. (Yeah, I know bad visual.) Deep stretch EVERY MORNING WITHOUT FAIL and I bet the lower back pain goes away.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:36 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

When it stops being fun.

That's what it's all about--enjoyment. When you go a couple months, and the spark just isn't there, cash out and let someone else take over.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:12 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I have been contemplating this as I hit the double-nickle last summer. I ask the question because the Corvette Dream can fade with time. As well as physical problems such as lower back pain can develop. The ability to do your own repairs can become limited and even driving comfort can be compromised. Do you plan to give up? If yes, why? If no, why not? ......Thanks!
:hat When the DMV says so! I meet a lot of old timers at the strip and you can tell they are really having fun. I see them running pro-street in the 10s and doing wheelies with big grins. Big grins on old timers at car shows too. I would estimate the local corvette club is mostly 50+. As I age I will just have to pay to get the dirtier jobs done.
Now to preach a bit. I may lose my job. I may lose my heart and my house. But I will still have a fun car to drive, show, and race. :D
Old 11-25-2003, 01:48 AM
442olds
Pro

Well the day I can't work on cars, you might as well shoot me and bury me next to the last project I didn't quite finish.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:52 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (silver77vette)

As they say in the biking world:

You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stopped riding.

Same holds true for Vettes. Every once in a while, you need to get the car a little squirrelly and lay down some black marks - gets the heart pumping. When the heart stops pumping, then you can sell the Vette.

[Modified by BSeery, 10:55 PM 11/24/2003]
Old 11-25-2003, 03:36 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (sd pacecar)

Hey Paul, I have noticed that once winter hits you up there and you are forced to put the Vette away, you become very melancholy.
Weren't you looking at a new vette about this time last year.....

Maybe you just need to get some better lighting....sounds like your missing the sunshine.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:04 AM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

As with gun control, I will give up my Vette when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel! :yesnod: :cheers: :seeya
Old 11-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 58. Been driving corvettes for over 30 years. A few years ago I decided to get a "newer" model and traded a 71 for a real nice 92. I quickly realized that I had made a mistake. Now don't get me wrong. The 92 was nice, got great gas milage and was a very refined car. I wasn't however my kind of car, so I sought out my current BB69 and I drive it to work almost every day. I do all of my own work. I do agree that it is a little harder now but I just use more/better tools and work smarter. I go to lots of corvette functions and still enjoy the cars and their owners. So at this point I don't plan on getting rid of my Corvette. No Medicare sleds (Mercury Marquis) in my future.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (phxraptor)

Well I am 62 Years old and yes it is a little more difficult to get under the car but hey I am retired and have a lot more time so what the hell.
Enjoy it while you are still here and able to ...
:steering:
Old 11-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (MN-Brent)

He probably had been driving Corvettes since his 20s and was pulling your leg!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (Brons2)

That is excellent advice!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (Desertdawg)

Dawg,
Yes. This time last year I was contemplating a change. Took a few more months than I thought but this is the day in June when it finally arrived. No plans to become a snowbird....yet.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (Yeller81USNRet)

I retired from a government career when I was just shy of 52. Have done a few things since including high tech (artificial heart development) and automotive (GM service advisor). I set up a consulting business last August and now bill about 12 days per month under contracts. That gives me lots of free time to do what I wish when I want (including coming here). My current contracts will last until March, thus getting me through the winter months. I am enjoying this type of life. In fact I do not believe I could go back to 9-5!

Get notified of new replies

To At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why?

Old 11-25-2003, 07:10 AM
awsmvett
Intermediate

I don't know when you give up Corvettes but I do know that I was not able to get my first one until I was 53. Happened to find a decent 1968 Vert 427. Since then I have worked on it and driven to car shows in the summer. It turns heads and keeps the smile on my face even when my back hurts. I plan on doing car shows every summer as I get to see some nice rides.

Last February I made the mistake of test driving a 2001 Vert so now I have two. My wife and I drove 5230 miles to Bowling Green in it last summer. Great road car. It likes to cruise at 100 real well and 29 miles to the gallan isn't bad either for an economy car.

Which one is the most fun, I don't know but I do know that last summer at the local drags I whopped a Viper with the 68 now that will bring a smile to your face.

Quit Corvettes I don't think so.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just turned 51, and still exercise 3X's a week to stay in shape. This helps my body tollerate the rigors of self repair, and keeps me in good standing (or laying in this case) with the ladies. As far as Vettes are concerned, Till death do us part The previous statement does not apply to the ladies :D
Eddie
Old 11-25-2003, 09:14 AM
mox 77
Instructor

Default Re: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why? (Silvr77)

I am 62 and , quite honestly, the topic / question has never even entered my mind. Guess that is my answer, huh?

Quick Reply: At What Age Do You Give Up on Corvettes? And Why?