C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the easiest way to...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Blackened 79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the easiest way to...

Remove the speedo cable from a '79 at the gauge ? I need to get behind there and change some bulbs, but the cable isn't letting me pull the assembly out from the front. Can't seem to fit my hand back there to release it.
:banghead:
Old 11-11-2003, 01:24 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: What's the easiest way to... (Troublemaker 71)

your '79 and my '81 should be very similar so this can be done. what i have to do is remove the four bolts to the steering column and allow it to hang down a couple inches. this will give you the room you will need to pull the gauge panel forward. you will also need to remove the lower air duct and pull the gauge panel as far forward as you can. this is where it gets tricky and you need to be kind of nimble. at this point, you need to lay on your side or upside down (yeah, it's that much fun) and you should then have enough room to squeeze your hand up in there and press on the clip. then you should be able to pull it forward enough to release the electric plug on the back of the gauge panel. at that point it should come out with some wiggling around the steering column. it's a PITA but it can be done.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:51 PM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's the easiest way to... (Troublemaker 71)

I can reach mine with the steering column in place (82) of course I'm in a weird twisted position to do this and I have cricks in my neck back and arms for about three days afterward :skep:
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Robert8096
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's the easiest way to... (EDDIEJ82)

I loosen the cable from the CC transducer and then pull the cluster forward enough to get my hand back there and disconnect the cable. If you don't have cruise control just unhook it from the tranny. You can rub the outer cable with wd40 or dish washing soap to help it slide through the rubber grommet on the firewall.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To What's the easiest way to...

Quick Reply: What's the easiest way to...