C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch.

I need to wire the neutral safety switch to the clutch pedal. I assume that the two connectors on the old auto safety switch are for neutral safety and reverse lights. One has a heavy gauge wire and the other has I think three wires. Anyone have a schematic to wire this? :smash:
Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (Budman78)

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but the nuetral saftey switch has four wires. Two #12's that are purple that switches between the ignition and the starter solenoid. The other two wires pink and light green switch the backup lights. The pink should be 12volt key on and the green is the other side of the switch taking power to your backup lights. Your clutch switch will replace the NS switch for the two purple wires.

I would assume that a separate switch (linkage actuated) would be used for the backup lights.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 10-27-2003, 01:25 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (Budman78)

No idea on the switch question, but I was curious how difficult it was to convert from auto to stick? Leave out the price of the trans...that's not a problem. Were you able to find all the parts easily? Was the pedal installation difficult?

Thanks,
Dep
Old 10-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (Rolling Thunder)

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but the nuetral saftey switch has four wires. Two #12's that are purple that switches between the ignition and the starter solenoid. The other two wires pink and light green switch the backup lights. The pink should be 12volt key on and the green is the other side of the switch taking power to your backup lights. Your clutch switch will replace the NS switch for the two purple wires.

I would assume that a separate switch (linkage actuated) would be used for the backup lights.

Hope this helps.
Dave
:iagree: :iagree: Yup...you will need to purchase and mount a new back up light switch and rod for the trans, and run those purple wires to a new neutral safety on the clutch pedal. The bubba who converted my 72 from auto to stick didn't do this so I had to. Lucky the entire enterior was out anyway.
Do yourself a favor and pull the drivers dash pad and center console to do this job. The back up light wireing has to go from the dash harness, through the firewall, and down to the switch on the trans. It will be easier to install the Neut Safe on the clutch pedal too, without the dash pad.
Good Luck
Eddie
Old 10-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (Silvr77)

Thanks, My T-56 has a internal switch for the back up lights, so that should be east to splice. I will just need to wire the clutch pedal switch as the neutral safety switch to start the car.

Converting to Manual is not expensive compared to the tranny cost and clutch assembly. Most parts can be reused, like adding an extra pedal, using the same shifter console, etc.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (Dep)

No idea on the switch question, but I was curious how difficult it was to convert from auto to stick? Leave out the price of the trans...that's not a problem. Were you able to find all the parts easily? Was the pedal installation difficult?

To me that was the hardest part of the swap. The drivers seat should come out along with the complete steering wheel. Then there are 10 bolts that have to be removed and then the old brake assembly needs to be wiggled out and the new one put in.
You are doing this lying half in the car half out flat on your back.
I used a hydraulic assembly from a 85 one ton truck and it fit without drilling any holes.
Making a new rear transmission mount involved a little welding and the drive shaft need shortening.
Use set of good pedals are hard to find and expensive. I paid about $200 for a very used set that I totally rebuilt and powdercoated before installation.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Dep,
If you or anyone else is interested (and serious) I have almost all the stuff you need right here at the IL/WI state line. Restored pedal assy, Z-bar, clutch rods, fork all in excellent condition. ... redvetracr
Old 10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (redvetracr)

Thread hijacker.... :boxing :D Hey, you got that rod that goes from the pedal to the neutral safety switch? By the way, my pedal look great.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Sure!! It`s on the pedal assembly I tried to sell you.
...redvetracr
Old 10-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch. (redvetracr)

Now you tell me. I guess next time I will ask for pictures and look at an assembly. How much?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:31 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Budman: Sorry about the thread hijacking. I have considered a switch to stick, but wondered how hard it was to do. From what Norval says it's a back breaker. Guess I'll stay with the Turbo 400 :) Thanks for the info!

Dep

Old 10-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I wasn't busting on you, I was giving REDVET a hard time. And yes switch pedals it a back breaker.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:21 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I wasn't busting on you, I was giving REDVET a hard time. And yes switch pedals it a back breaker.
No sweat :D

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch.

Quick Reply: Guys that have converted to Manual? Neutral Safety Switch.