C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many gas filters on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 06:40 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many gas filters on the car?

Since i am rebuilding my carb i think that it would be benificial to replace the filters at the same time. My carb doesn't have a built in filter but an inline one just before the carb, is there another one somewhere else? My idle circuit tends to need a blow out on a regular basis, i think that it could be due to deposits coming from the tank but am unsure. I dont want to remove and clean the tank for no reason so i was thinking that it would be easier to pump out some gas into a container before i hook my carb up to see if any crap is getting past the filter. To do this i am going to have to disconnect the distributer, so how do i disconnect it and keep it from firing?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:55 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How many gas filters on the car? (battsup)

i have replaced the sock in the tank(#1) then i put a clear filter with a replaceable insert before the pump(#2) and then there is one right before the holley(#3).i had to replace the tank and the fuellines due to rust and dirt so now i think i'm pretty safe. :thumbs:
Old 10-24-2003, 09:21 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Orig setup with QJet was a 'sock' (screen) on the fuel tank pickup to catch large debris, and a 'sintered' filter in the fuel inlet nut at the carb.
If you're going to retain an 'inline' filter to the carb, mount it vertical.
And NO rubber hose on the pump to carb (pressure side) line!
NO glass filter housings!! :eek: These items are an accident just waiting to happen! :yesnod:
Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How many gas filters on the car? (ROD NOCK)

Hmmm, so you are saying that when stock these cars didnt have rubber gas lines on the pressure side? Because that is what was on mine and thats what i replaced it with. I don't know how I am gonna mount an inline filter vertically because the hose automatically straightens out. But what is the logic behind mounting it vertically opposed to horizontally? doesn't the gas have to pass through either way? O and i completely agree with the glass filter thing, at our local track you arent even allowed to race if you have one of those.

[Modified by battsup, 6:58 PM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 11:42 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Many cars had rubber lines between the filter and the carb. Chrysler cars had a metal can filter (actually, still available and quite a GOOD filter)
that had rubber lines before and after the filter. As long as the rubber isn't touching something hot like headers, there is no danger from them.
The filter in the carb is mounted horizontally. I think some folks are in full worry mode over nothing. :rolleyes:

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 10:43 PM 10/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How many gas filters on the car?

Quick Reply: How many gas filters on the car?