C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Gas Tank Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:45 AM
still-learning
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ Gas Tank Lines

Folks,

It has been a while but I am finally getting ready to get my vette running again. Currently I have the gas tank out (due to a leak caused by dry rotted hoses). I am getting ready to reinstall the tank and I am curious about if I need to hook up the lines the same way.

Currently the two lines that are on the passenger side makes sense. One is the feed and one is the return. I am confused by the line on the driver's side. This is hooked up to the canister. The problem is that I have a Holley 650 double pumper that does not use the canister. Therefore the hose from the canister is disconnected.

Can I get away w/ bypassing this? Instead of hooking the two connections to a T and then the metal line to the canister can I just hook the two connections to themself and therefore seal off that side of the tank?

I figure the tank has to be vented somewhere but I was guessing and hoping that that is done at the cap. As always any and all information is welcome!!

THANKS!

Tim M.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Help w/ Gas Tank Lines (still-learning)

The passenger side lines are feed to pump(the larger 5/16"), and the smaller(1/4")one is the return. You don't need the canister, however your tank needs to "breathe". My '75's vapor line to the canister was rusted beyond use-full of holes!!! So, when I had the tank down, I plugged off the line(what was left of it)on top of the tank and drilled a small "vent" hole in my gas cap so the tank can "breathe".
Old 10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Help w/ Gas Tank Lines (Paul Borowski)

Paul,

That is perfect. For some reason, I have a memory of being able to buy a vented cap. Any idea? Although, the drill method is cheaper and god knows there is very few things on these vettes that are cheap.

Tim M.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:13 AM
One Bad 74
Intermediate

I did the same thing but used a vented cap. No problems at all. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2003, 08:13 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Here's a couple previous posts that should give you some answers.......... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=646786 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=660225 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=634238

[Modified by ROD NOCK, 8:19 PM 10/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Help w/ Gas Tank Lines

Quick Reply: Help w/ Gas Tank Lines