C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling 383 Stroker dudes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 04:51 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Calling 383 Stroker dudes (Alwyn678)

edit: forgot to mention it was a Mustang chassis dyno.
I had mine done over a year ago at the 2002 Bloomington Gold in St. Charles IL.
I uncapped the headders, and I really think that that hurt my #'s more than helped it.
You can see the scans of the dyno sheets in my sig.
Note the drop-off that occured. The Dyno tech told me that that is a sign of something wrong with the motor or the tune.
People here have speculated that it might be the stock fuel pump wimping out on me, but even then, my lower RPM #'s were weak.
My machinist (who owns a '76 with a 406) estimated my hp to be around 425+ when he set up my combo.

The guy before me on that day had a C2 with a 427BB, and he had only about 250 rwhp!
Maybe the barometer and humidity made it a bad day to dyno??
I put a new carter mech fuel pump, and the holley adjust-a-jets on her so that for Bloomington Gold 2003 I could play with the jets and get some better #'s. Plus, I was planning on keeping the headers connected this time.
To my dismay, and even against their tour schedule, breathless performance did not appear at Bloomington Gold 2003.
They blew us off to go to Tenn. or Kentucky where there were a bunch of C5 guys waiting for them at some show.
Well, breathless does exclusively make parts for the C5's so I can understand, but they should've cancelled MUCH earlier.

Anyway, these #'s games are just p*ssin' contests anyway.
--oooh I made 5rwhp more than you :p:
I'm satisfied with what I've got, she don't get too squirlly when I floor it, and I can teach a ricer a thing or two when they provoke me.

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 3:57 AM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Calling 383 Stroker dudes ('75 383 ElkGrove)

edit: forgot to mention it was a Mustang chassis dyno.
I had mine done over a year ago at the 2002 Bloomington Gold in St. Charles IL.
I uncapped the headders, and I really think that that hurt my #'s more than helped it.
You can see the scans of the dyno sheets in my sig.
Note the drop-off that occured. The Dyno tech told me that that is a sign of something wrong with the motor or the tune.
People here have speculated that it might be the stock fuel pump wimping out on me, but even then, my lower RPM #'s were weak.
My machinist (who owns a '76 with a 406) estimated my hp to be around 425+ when he set up my combo.

The guy before me on that day had a C2 with a 427BB, and he had only about 250 rwhp!
Maybe the barometer and humidity made it a bad day to dyno??
I put a new carter mech fuel pump, and the holley adjust-a-jets on her so that for Bloomington Gold 2003 I could play with the jets and get some better #'s. Plus, I was planning on keeping the headers connected this time.
To my dismay, and even against their tour schedule, breathless performance did not appear at Bloomington Gold 2003.
They blew us off to go to Tenn. or Kentucky where there were a bunch of C5 guys waiting for them at some show.
Well, breathless does exclusively make parts for the C5's so I can understand, but they should've cancelled MUCH earlier.

Anyway, these #'s games are just p*ssin' contests anyway.
--oooh I made 5rwhp more than you :p:
I'm satisfied with what I've got, she don't get too squirlly when I floor it, and I can teach a ricer a thing or two when they provoke me.

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 3:57 AM 10/24/2003]
Your numbers aren't bad at all.. Here's where your HP goes:

TH400

When I owned my '69 Vert - I had my engine dynoed for approx. 440 crank HP...
After installing it into my '69 Vert (which had a TH400) - I had the engine dynoed for RWHP and it only dynoed just below 300 RWHP... That was a 140 HP / 32% drivetrain loss...
I asked around and several people told me that you have to expect 30 - 35% drivetrain loss through a C3 drivetrain with TH400 transmission.. The TH400 just eats up a lot of HP.. but is a very strong transmission otherwise...

BTW - you have a nice potential for improvement by changing the cam..
Your cam is a strong street cam.. but you could go with a more radical cam.. Your heads will flow enough for a larger cam...

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:39 AM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Rooster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Calling 383 Stroker dudes (Alwyn678)

I've just purchased a 383 - have yet to put it in - still working on getting pieces ready for everything to drop in at once. I'm hoping to put it in in Jan/Feb time frame. :yesnod:
Old 10-24-2003, 12:07 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Calling 383 Stroker dudes (Rooster)

I've just purchased a 383 - have yet to put it in - still working on getting pieces ready for everything to drop in at once. I'm hoping to put it in in Jan/Feb time frame. :yesnod:
Keep us updated!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Calling 383 Stroker dudes