C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM
tictocdok
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust?

I just finished repairing the frame corners on my 78 and before I weld in the last couple square inches I wondered if it would be a good idea to soak an old rag in oil and stuff it into the frame( and leave it in there)?? will probably do it to both channels front -rear and into the "sideways" piece, also considered spraying lots of oil into every opening in the entire frame.
Is this a good idea? or should I try to paint inside it?? I had good luck on one I did a few years ago, used a garden type pump-up sprayer, put in Rustmoleum and kerosene, got a pretty good fan pattern and did it several times over the course of a week. wondered if the paint will eventually dry and flake off so maye oil is better??
thanks,
Elvin :cheers:

[Modified by tictocdok, 1:44 PM 10/22/2003]
Old 10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (tictocdok)

Ever hear of spontaneous combustion?

I don't think an oily rag is a good idea. If it survives the heat from the welding it might ignite at some later time. You're better off painting.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (tictocdok)

I think it would do the opposite and attract moisture, decompose and cause even more rust problems.

Hans
Old 10-22-2003, 02:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (Wrencher)

On old tube frame small aircraft, standard corrosion preventative practice was to coat the inside of the tubes with a special wax. I know they still make the stuff because when I was working on small piston engine airplanes like Piper Cubs it was part of the annual inspection to check this coating and recoat if necessary. You may want to look into that.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:02 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (theandies)

I sprayed the inside of my frame with a rust proofing material from RUSFRE that stays soft and moist. I used a special 360 degree wand that they sell just for that material. It worked great and I hope it does the job. Craig
Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

An oily rag would do nothing for the inside of the frame. I would spray paint inside it as best I could. The old aircraft used LInseed oil inside the frame. They blocked off the openings and filled it with Linseed oil, rolled it around coating everything then drained it out.
As far as sontanious? combustion it does not happen with motor oils so even oily rags will not ignite. That's the story the fire department told me when I wanted to store my collection of cams in heavily oiled rags wrapped in tin foil.
Paint the inside.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
MN 72 454
Advanced

Maybe try motocross chain wax. It comes in a aerosol can and sprays on like anything else then dries to a wax film. It works very well protecting metal from the elements.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:57 PM
TheVin
Instructor

You could alway's weld a piece of magnesium (anode) to your frame, some how I just don't think it would look good..That's what i do at work on Gas Mains to prevent corrsion on steel gas mains-----
Old 10-22-2003, 09:02 PM
jetech
Racer

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (theandies)

On old tube frame small aircraft, standard corrosion preventative practice was to coat the inside of the tubes with a special wax. I know they still make the stuff because when I was working on small piston engine airplanes like Piper Cubs it was part of the annual inspection to check this coating and recoat if necessary. You may want to look into that.
The product used now is called Tube seal (line oil) it climbs the sides of tubing and spreads, it also seals small holes. The typical process is to drill a 1/8 hole in the frame, inject the required amount (see directions), then close the hole with a 1/8 closed end pop rivet. This stuff works but you want to have the frame painted because this stuff finds every small hole or crack. I sealed a fuselage frame last year and I think the dripping is finally done. You can get it at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/tubeseal.php
Old 10-22-2003, 09:11 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (jetech)

My auto parts store sells the rustproofing oil and spray equipment.
They had a deal a while back: Buy 4 gallons of coating (oil) @ $25 each and get
the entire spray gun and wand set for another $100. I almost bought it.

So - oily rag - no way.

Keep the frame dry: this will work.

I finished up one of my frame corners and did nothing to coat the rusty
innards of the frame rails. I figure that when I'm done, there is no way in hell
that this vette will see rain again.

Good luck. :seeya
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (NHvette)

I agree with keeping the car out of the rain, however in Florida rust is inevitable on exposed materials - nothing like 90% humidity for promoting a little iron oxide.

I'm going to have my frame alkaline cleaned and then powder coated. I'm going to ask the powder coater to dust any portion he can get at, then I'm going to use the rustproofing oil ... is Ziebart (sp) still in business ... they used to spray frames and such??

Ryan
Old 10-23-2003, 10:18 AM
tictocdok
Racer

thanks for all your inputs!! I'm gonna check out the rustproofing oil and ask how long it lasts. wil probably paint the outside of the frame and then coat the inside with either oil or paint! it will probably never see rain again but in western ny we get some cold nights/warm days and condensation is a real problem.
tks,
Elvin
Old 10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust? (reidry)

Can you get Waxoyl in the US? It's made by Finnigans (I think) who make Hammerite. It comes in aerosols or cans that a simple (supplied) pump screws into. The stuff is designed for car chassis rustproofing & is excellent. It's a lot like the motocross wax mentioned above in that it's diluted (with white spirit) for spraying & gets into all the corners & hard to reach places. Apparently it also "creeps" along the surface to fully cover it. I did the inside of my Vettes frame with it last winter & it took about 3 hours in total (most of which was finding the access holes & jacking the car up to get to them).
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust?

Quick Reply: stuff an oily rag into the frame to prevent future rust?