C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...

Old 10-16-2003, 10:45 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...

what should i use on my freshly dyed vinyl pieces?
im not a fan of Armour All...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:12 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (SIGNGUY)

I,m not sure about dyed pieces but, Lexol makes a very good product for vinyl and doesn't leave the funky shine.
:cheers:
Old 10-16-2003, 11:15 PM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (SIGNGUY)

sorry no suggestions...but i hate armour all too.

It leaves that nasty greasy stuff behind, that feels terrible if you get it on your hands, and it attracts dirt like crazy.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:33 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Armour All sucks....i use Mothers spray detailer on painted interior pieces.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Enad
Racer

I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my new and freshly dyed interior. :thumbs: You can get at Ecklers and I think other sponsors.

Dane
Old 10-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (Redshark6974)

Armour All sucks....i use Mothers spray detailer on painted interior pieces.
:yesnod: :thumbs: :chevy
Old 10-17-2003, 01:07 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Gary
I use only Black Magic. @ Auto zone. I love that stuff.

Bob
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Mothers Protectant ONLY!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Diamondback
8th Gear

What is it with that armour-all crap...it really messed up a dash i used it on ! I learned my lesson ...never ever to use it again. Mothers is the best...i have to agree with many others. It dos'ent leave the gooeee residue.. and it protects well!!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:46 AM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

My wife likes to ArmorAll the steering wheel :boxing :mad :mad That is the worst possible use for that junk.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I like Armour All. Just don't put it on the seats or steering wheel. You guys are lucky you have a choice. I remember when there was nothing but Johnson's Pledge for dash and vinyl. It did have a nice lemon smell to it though :D

Dep
Old 10-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (Dep)

I like Armorall too.... but the points are well made... it is greasy, it does attract dust.
I buy it in the economy re-fills.... two at a time.

However... it does not cause vinyl to dry out... I think that is a myth started by the competition. I purchased a Ford Crown Victoria in 1987 new from the dealer (Morristown NJ). It has a black vinyl roof. I have used armorall on it religiously since day 1... 1987. It was exposed to snow belt weather (Syracuse NY, Binghamton NY, Parsippany NJ, Budd Lake NJ) from 1987 to 1996. It has seen hot sunny weather here in NC since then. It still looks great... no rips, rot, or cracking. So... I'm a believer.

But maybe there is a better product for a vinyl dash and/or seats. I use armorall on those as well, including re-paired (JC Whitney kit) & re-painted (Dupont Lucite with flexible additive) dash pads in my 66 roadster. but it is greasy as posted. I think it says in the directions to let it soak in and remove the excess... most people do not follow the directions... myself included.

[Modified by Tom454, 3:20 PM 10/17/2003]
Old 10-17-2003, 04:17 PM
BankBoy
Heel & Toe

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...

I would recommend either Pledge or Old English spray. They both work very well and don't have that greasy, cheap look that Armour All does.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (BankBoy)

I like Meguir's Natural Shine. It doesn't feel greasy and cleans really well. Has a nice smell too. I go over the interiors of cars after I am done with them and the customers always say good things about it.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:50 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I use the Meguiar's Vinyl and the Meguiar's Leather wipes. But you might want to make sure the dye has fully cured before you start messing with protectants. Hopefully, someone with experience can advise you properly.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:52 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (Sting Raycin)

Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner :chevy
Old 10-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no idea what to tell you. I'm probably just set in my ways, but I also have used Armour All and have had good results. '69 and '70 Mustangs have this huge molded double hump dash pad that typically lasted about 2-3 years here in the intense summer sun before they cracked wide open. I replaced mine in '75 and it still looks perfect despite constant exposure to sunlight. Heck, it's ready for a third paint job, but the interior looks great! However, I'm sure there are better products now - I'm just afraid to experiment :yesnod:

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...

Old 10-17-2003, 05:15 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (Wrencher)

I'm with you Hans. I can't understand what all this fuss about "greasy" is.
I do my dash and leave it alone. It certainly attracts LESS dust now that it is coated, and it only takes a second to whisk it off with one of those California Duster thingies. I've never had a dash crack while using it. And I'm not experimenting either. Maybe folks don't wipe off the excess and that is the problem?

Dep
Old 10-17-2003, 05:29 PM
BankBoy
Heel & Toe

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...

What you have to keep in mind is the following; If you are using something that penetrates into the vinyl itself, you are destroying the vinyl by doing that.
What you want to do is keep the surface clean, and if you want a shine of some sort, do not use anything that has any type of petroleum based ingredients. This is guaranteed to kill the vinyl or leather for that matter, because it will dry it out and this will cause cracking and splits.
You especially want to keep the material around the seams clean. This is where dirt and oils thend to gather, and the material itself is weakest in these areas.
I have spent years working in one of the top Custom Interior Shops in California, and all of the above is based on this experience.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:41 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Default Re: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap... (BankBoy)

BankBoy -
So have you any recommendations ? I've been following this thread with curiousity...no clear winners yet...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what to use for vinyl protectant instead of Armour All crap...