C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:13 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES

I know I'm probably opening a "can of worms" with this one!! But I've been down both avenues. In 1990 I bought a "350 HO" for $3000 from the Chevy dealer. I was some what satisfied but wasn't able to do better than 13.0's. I had a machine shop build me a 383 "stroker" before they were available O.T.C. for $5000 but this engine is built to "my" needs/wants. For example, my machine shop (HBR COMP. ENGINES) got his hands on (3)454 alum head "crate" engines put them on the dyno. Then disassemled them and reeassembled them to proper specs and each engine made AT LEAST 50 hp more. Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure these engines (OUT OF THE FACTORY) would have ran fine and held together forever. But still they are assembled on a "Line" and I'm sure with air guns at certain torque settings. Where a "GOOD" machine shop will build the engine to proper specs put the engine on the dyno and see what you have. They built me a 383 expecting about 450hp. On the dyno the engine pulled 475-480 hp with my carb. He took one of his carbs and pulled about 500hp, added a 1" spacer and pulled over 515hp. This little "HUFFER" as he called it kept building more power. Now the car is running hi 11's and with a littlemore tweeking hopefully mid 11's. We'll see next week. It has taken a couple of years to get the car dialed in so it can run "strong" at the track and not go on the trailer with broken rearend parts. the engine has always been 116-118 mph engine in the 1/4 mile. The challenge was getting into the 11's without breaking I.R.S. A Camaro would have been alot easier but doesn't look as good and the comradery isn't there.
I'm just saying it's real easy to dial an 800 # and get an engine a week later at your door, but for the same or a little more $$$ have an engine "built" to exactly what you need or want instead of what the "general public" is asking for. Whichever way you choose, as long as it works for "you" that's what counts. :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 12:18 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES (lotahp)

Can of worms possibly but my MiniRat is going to have evry part picked my me :D
Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES (MotorHead)

Allright Motorhead :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More hp always cost a little more $, depends on your needs and size of your bank account.

BTW Nice car, fond of the year. :thumbs:

[Modified by Fevre, 12:22 PM 10/15/2003]
Old 10-15-2003, 12:44 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HBR is a class act all the way!!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:12 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES (shoptek)

The problem comes from machine shops taking advantage of people and/or machine shops who think they know how to make horsepower. This is definitely not every machine shop but a lot of people will take advantage of those not experienced in every detail of a motor such as yourself.

My boss just ran into this himself a machine shop(well known for HP) talked him out of Edelbrock ALum heads of his Olds 350 since the original heads were better! What a crock of S$^t!!!!. the builder just wasn't familiar with them and he didn't want to try anything new. It took my boss 2 weeks for him to convince the builder that he wanted 9.5 compression not 8.5.... My boss ended up ordering the pistons and rings from Mondello since the builder never heard of them.

A crate motor is a quick , easy way to get guaranteed HP along with reliability(warranty).
Old 10-15-2003, 01:31 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES (MikeC)

That's what I mean by a "GOOD" machine shop. One that suggests the right parts for your combo. Not the parts on his shelf that he is trying to get rid of. If you are deciding to take the "machine shop avenue" you need to do your homework (you shouldn't have to be another "Dick Lahae") and pretty much know what you want . Yes I guess I am fortunate to have found an EXCELLENT machine shop but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there other than HBR COMPETITION ENGINES now in Las Vegas, Nv at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and you don't have to be a "racer" to get the "time of day" from Rick. :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are at least 3 really good machine shops around here but its like you implied.... racers first!. You can expect to wait months for engine work to be done during the racing season. I don't blame the machine shops... its either their race engine or someone elses race engine who probably spends a fair amount of $ at the machine shop.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:09 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES (MikeC)

Mike that's exactly what I DID NOT imply. I do see alot of HBR stickers on alot of racecars at Moroso Motorsports Park. But when you have "X" number of employees and "X" number of engines to build and not one of the engines are the same YES it is going to take a little longer than it takes for UPS to deliver an engine to your door step. Usually the "racers" are having their engines built during the "off season" so if you know when that is have your engine built accordingly. :D
Old 10-15-2003, 07:17 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Crate engines are put together by the same people that screw production engines together. There is really nothing special about them with exception to the parts that are put into them. Yes you get a warranty, but I would rather have a stout engine that will last without the need for a warranty. I had the shortblock in my car done 11 years ago, it has seen 6500 rpm+ and is still in awesome shape some 50,000 miles later. I has it done at www.dsengine.com.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:37 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I went to a local place and it became sorta a pain. It started out good, but our relationship was strained when they finally finished eight weeks later.

If I had to do it again it would be a crate for sure! :skep:

Get notified of new replies

To MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES

Quick Reply: MACHINE SHOP VS. CRATE ENGINES