C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats?

Hey folks... I've noticed that there aren't many cool shirts or hats for us C3 lovers. Yeah, there are a few, but they lack creativity and the selection is poor. I'm thinking about developing a line of shirts for C3 Vettes. I'd like to make shirts that highlight special features which are unique to that era, such as the L88 hood, or the 427 hood, or the side fender vents of 68/69 models, or the chrome bumpers of 68-72, etc. Do you think this idea would sell? I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
camaroneil
Racer

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (Tele_Man)

i would have though so, but by the lack of response i'm not sure,
i'd have some but you'd have to ship to the UK,
neil
Old 09-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (camaroneil)

Hi Neil,
I don't think international shipping would be a show-stopper, but I am a little surprised by the lack of feedback, positive or negative. Maybe the folks on this forum really don't care about Corvette clothing. Maybe it's the wrong audience. I'm not sure. But thanks anyway for your response. -Nick
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think "car clothing" is kinda tacky. I bought a Corvetteforum T-Shirt months ago and still have not worn it.

I do think the hat idea is a good one though. :thumbs:
Old 09-13-2003, 10:44 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (OHSIXX)

well i buy corvette shirts all the time,but i like print only on the back and a little on the pocket area.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:46 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It all depends on the quality of the design, quality of the application and the quality of the material. And, of course, the price.......

You might try posting the design on your website before producing them.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (flynhi)

Ok, now we're talkin'!

Please tell me more. What constitutes a cool versus tacky design? What makes a shirt or hat high quality? What's a reasonable price?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (patsnitrovette)

I'm with Pat, small logo in front, simple, larger art in the back. A hat with the letters C-3 (about 1 inch) would be cool, maybe with a small shark. Keep it simple and I'll buy.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

You might have read a thread I had this week about C-3 hats. I would definitely buy a well made hat that is well thought out. And having it wearable in reverse fashion(fitted) would be a plus. Small cross-flags on the back with C-3(or something like that) above or below would be tasteful, but not overbearing. No flames! Thhhhhhhhhhh!! I'm sure you could get all kinds of thoughts.... work some up.

And did I mention *I want Black*. Make it tuxedo black and dark saddle logos. And LS-5 454 on the back below the cross-flags will do just fine.

Now get after it! :lol:

[Modified by bgrice, 10:55 AM 9/13/2003]
Old 09-13-2003, 12:41 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (bgrice)

In my opinion, a lot of the shirts look tacky because they are way too colorful and have way too much going on...too many cars on them, cartoony looking cars, etc. The better looking ones are the simpler ones...more understated. I don't know if you have ever seen the Bloomington Gold t-shirts that had the Sting Ray front fender and wheel on them, but I thought those were good looking and non-tacky. Aslo, at the museum they sell a simple black t-shirt that only has the crossed flags on the back (C5 version) and small cross flags on the upper left chest area. No script on it anywhere. Those are the types of shirts I would like to see.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (A C)

You guys are on my wavelength. I was thinking of tasteful, understated, and subtle designs too. No cartoons, flames, or too much color. Would anybody like the lifesize 427 or 454 hood emblems embroided on the front of a baseball cap? Thanks for all your feedback! -Nick
Old 09-13-2003, 12:57 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

I used to be a Regional Manager for a nationwide hat company. Quality is everything. It should be 100% wool and fitted (sizes 6 7/8 to 7 3/4 or maybe even 8) Simple designs are definitely best. Price would need to be $20 or so (IMO).

It is a competitive business so be prepared. I just did a search and found quite a few....

Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (USA SHARK)

Thanks for the advice. I agree there is a lot of competition. My strategy is to stay focused on the C3 Corvette market niche, which I believe is overshadowed by C4 and C5 products. I also believe that the current apparel makers don't really know what their customers want. Their designs stink, IMHO.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:59 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Make tube tops for the C3 Girls!!! BIG CROSSFLAGS!!! :jester
Old 09-13-2003, 02:27 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Tele_Man:

Make them stylish, good quality, and a fair price, I would buy. I hate the tacky junk thats out there thats way over priced. Go for it

Mike :thumbs:
Old 09-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (My69)

I'm in if it's got a 69 on it but prefur grey as most of the show are in hot weather and the black poopiers are too hot--just a suggestion- keep us posted please--Glenn :party:
Old 09-13-2003, 03:18 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tele-man,
I agree with AC.
Keep it simple and tasteful, no flames or gawdy colors.
I would buy a shirt if it were in good taste. I have a 68 .
I belong to a national Mercedes organization and their shirts and hats and clothing have subtle,tasteful logos without a lot of extra clutter.
The Corvette speaks for itself, we don't need flames or overbearing graphics. In my opinion, and that's all it is, the car doesn't need the hype. We aren't ricers.
Keep us posted on what you come up with. I would buy a shirt, already have a 68 hat.
Thanks for doing something for the C-3,
Kurt

Get notified of new replies

To Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats?

Old 09-13-2003, 03:20 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (USA SHARK)

I used to be a Regional Manager for a nationwide hat company. Quality is everything. It should be 100% wool and fitted (sizes 6 7/8 to 7 3/4 or maybe even 8) Simple designs are definitely best. Price would need to be $20 or so (IMO).

It is a competitive business so be prepared. I just did a search and found quite a few....

Good Luck!
Did you find fitted Corvette hats? I can't really wear the adjustable one size fits all (YES! I HAVE A BIG HEAD!!) but it's hard to find any fitted hat that doesn't have an mlb logo on it.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

My strategy is to stay focused on the C3 Corvette market niche, which I believe is overshadowed by C4 and C5 products.
Great point, Tele_Man. If yer into C4s/C5s, you can wear NOTHING BUT 'tasteful' clothing, but us C3 guys only get 'loud', "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!"-type T-shirts, caps, etc. (must be the '60s-'70s thing??? :confused:
A few years ago, I got a nice polo shirt from a large Corvette-vendor in Michigan (won't name them here), who had year-specific Corvettes EMBROIDERED onto them, with your CHOICE of exterior AND interior colors.
I got one of my '82 done, but would REALLY like the same embroidery on a long-sleeve denim shirt, and/or a quality cap (not those 'beenie-caps' that Dale Jr. wears, but the 'square-front' type that Big E wore...)
The polo was $35-40 (I think?), not 'too' bad, especially for a 'custom' shirt of a 20+ year-old car..... I'd think a polo at this price, and hats @ $20-25 per copy would sekk 'OK'; to keep costs down, make 'em all (polos & hats) on a simple 'White' or 'Gray' article of clothing.....

[Modified by Glensgages, 3:29 PM 9/13/2003]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:02 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats? (Glensgages)

Thanks for the feedback - everybody! Seems like there is definitely some interest in specialized hats/shirts for us C3 lovers. Here's what I think I'm hearing from you folks:

T-shirts: Small logo of some sort over the left breast. Perhaps a tasteful larger graphic on the back.

Polo and long sleve denim shirts: Crossed flags embroidered emblem over the left breast.

Hats: Not sure yet what you want. I've heard black and grey hats. Fitted caps and adjustable. Unstructured ("beanie") hats and structured fronts above the brim.

Avoid: Goofy cartoons, flames, excessive color graphics.

Am I on the right track?

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply: Should I produce special C3 shirts and hats?