C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More carburetor issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 04:25 PM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More carburetor issues

Hi all,

I finished rebuilding the carburetor on my '76 yesterday in an attempt to fix a mysterious (to me) extreme rich condition at idle that I have been struggling against for a while, but is now causing me to fail AirCare.

Anyway, I got that all done, adjusted the float, replaced the needle/seat, adjusted the idle mixture screws, fired the car up, and it still stinks of raw gas.

Now here's the weird part: when I do the "put your hand over the carb" trick, it picks up RPMs, which apparently indicates a lean condition. :crazy:

Then when I went to turn the car off it dieseled for a second and shot a bit of fuel through the top of the carb!

So my question is: How many things have I messed up and what needs to be fixed?

P.S.: I have true duals with no cats, so that may help to explain the smell, but it is so bad that my eyes burn. If I stand in the garage with it idling, I feel like I'm going to pass out. :eek:

Thanks in advance for the help -- Lord knows I need it. :cheers:

EDIT: Oh yeah, it also backfires through the exhaust on deceleration. :U I'm ready to launch this thing off a cliff.

[Modified by VetticusSupersonicus, 9:30 PM 9/4/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 05:10 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,929 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Default Re: More carburetor issues (VetticusSupersonicus)

If you're interested, drop me an e-mail to my office address and I'll send you my ph# if you'd like me to talk you through a few setup possibilities:

lars.grimsrud@lmco.com

Quick Reply: More carburetor issues