C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:41 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise

383 is in the 79, everything is ready but when my mechanic went to bolt up my headers THEY WOULDN'T WORK!!!! I have dart heads, the iron eagles. 72 cc combustion chamber and 215 runners. My hedman long tubes, similar to that in ecklers but not a d-port bolted right up to my my stock heads and did great, now they won't work, i only have maybe 200 miles on them!!

Anyways the mech says that the sparkplugs are in the way, the headers come right down on them... Any suggestions for a header? I like my hedmans, i bought for like 130 plus shipping or something and liked the price. I'm gonna be making about 500 hp at the flywheel and need a suggestion.

:nopity :U
Old 08-21-2003, 10:51 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (munday)

I have the Dart IE 200's with Hedman's, they fit on mine but had to be enticed. Is it the tubes that are hitting the sparkplugs, you'll have to go with the short plugs and like me dent the offending tubes. Also which heads are they straight or angled, I believe mine are the angled would have to check, but in this t-storm tonight it will have to wait until morning.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:24 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (munday)

This is EXACTLY the problem I ran into with my setup. My Canfield heads have angled plugs and they push the plugs right into the headers. I thought about switching to Accel shorty plugs but they don't make them for my application. So I had to switch to Dynomax headers which are routed differently and have plenty of space for the plugs and wires.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Thats not good news at all. :sad:

Hopefully you can find something cheap to turn your frown upside down.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (tshort)

This is EXACTLY the problem I ran into with my setup. My Canfield heads have angled plugs and they push the plugs right into the headers. I thought about switching to Accel shorty plugs but they don't make them for my application. So I had to switch to Dynomax headers which are routed differently and have plenty of space for the plugs and wires.
Plenty of room for plugs/wires with TFS alum angled plug heads and the Dynomax headers.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i sawed the end off the plug and eliminated the boot. radical but it works great :cool:

[Modified by Matt Gruber, 8:21 AM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:35 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (Matt Gruber)

which dynomax headers? don't know anything about those headers. :banghead:
Old 08-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good header, great price at $220 or so, plus they are ceramic coated.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

which dynomax headers? don't know anything about those headers. :banghead:
Dynomax Cerma coat SB which flow well beyond what is commonly known.
Have been rec. since on this forum. Hedman has very good headers for BB.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Your setup is almost identical to mine (See my signature), and I have the same problem. I went with Accel 'shorty' plugs and had to dimple the header for #3 or #5 cylinder about 1/8" to clear the wires. :smash:

Even so, I still had trouble with the headers melting the coating on my MSD 8mm wires. My solution was to take an old extra set of plug boots, cut the L-bend off, slit them and slip them immediately behind the boots over the spark plugs. This has eliminated that problem. :hurray:

However, I still have to remove the headers to change the spark plugs - not very much fun, as I have custom bolt locks on the header bolts to stop them from shaking loose.

Good luck with your setup :cheers:

Bob

[Modified by vettenoir, 2:46 PM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:17 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (vettenoir)

where can i get the accel plugs? autozone? are they still good for performance? Do u have the hedman long tubes? the ones that go straight down and back before they merge???? :banghead: :banghead: :party:
Old 08-27-2003, 09:49 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Trust me, your best solution is to go with the Dynomax's. If it's cost you're concerned with, I see them on eBay all the time, that's where I bought mine. I got them for like $150.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:35 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise (tshort)

ordered the dynomax ceramic coated headers from summit for 239 or something yesterday :)....cant wait. :seeya :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise

Quick Reply: 383, dart heads, hedman headers and can't put together ARRGG please advise