C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Peglegusus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough question.

You've got $17K to spend on a Vette. Here's your options:
Old 08-19-2003, 09:18 PM
dj_riddle06
Instructor

Default Re: Tough question. (Peglegusus)

:yesnod: Go for the best C3 17k can buy :yesnod:
Old 08-19-2003, 09:37 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tough question. (dj_riddle06)

Buy a chrome bumper C3. You won't regret it. I didn't.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:50 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

I ask myself that question often, but every time I go to an event everyone is standing around my car when they are all driving late model stuff. So I keep the old car.
:thumbs:
Old 08-19-2003, 09:52 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

It's a no brainer really!!! :smash:
Old 08-19-2003, 10:27 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Tough question. (AGVI)

IMO the only C3's worth $17k or higher are totally refreshed cars with recent(15yr) technology Fuel Injection and Overdrive trannys. Again for that price, everything needs to be in great shape.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tough question. (BUGGSY1970)

Buy a chrome bumper C3. You won't regret it. I didn't.
:iagree: yesiree .. this coming from the owner of an excellent condition rubber bumper vert.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Tough question. (75Rag)

depends on what you want to do with the vette, ie if you are into long cruises in relative high comfort and great performance go for a latter C4 or a C5. If more or less a weekend cruiser, go for the best C3 vert that you can find for that price. I quite enjoy taking my 72 vert on long cruises, went to east coast a few years ago, but would not even consider taking it with my wife or one of my children in there with me that far. Too many things can go wrong on a 31 yr. old car, plus I have no a/c, heck the car didn't even originally come with ps, heater or radio. Good luck just consider what you ultimately want to do with your vette - they're all great. :cheers:
Old 08-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Tough question. (gdh)

But a really nice C3. Nuff said. :smash:
Old 08-20-2003, 01:39 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

really sweet C3 - loads of fun, and fully depreciated; will mostly just appreciate from here. 17K for a C4 or C5 won't be worth 17K in 5 years.
MHO.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously. That's about what I had when I was looking for a vette. I chose to find a vette that was clean. I like doing my own work, and the worst job is cleaning everything and trying to find where all the crap is leaking from. Start with a clean car and you can add to it without worrying about the new stuff getting dirty. You should be able to find a nice clean vette for around 10K that is fun to drive, though maybe not a 350HP monster. That will leave you with enough money for gas, a SCCA course and solo licence, track fees, gas (did I mention that), tires, racing oil, helmet and roll bar, 5-point seat belt harness, gas (did I say that already), dining money for the women that will be all over you, new rims for the new racing tires, gas (I think it leaks out or something), windshield wiper blades (they crack in the sun and look ratty after awhile), sunglasses, Zaino, gas (get my point).

If you spend all the money on the car then it will be the most expensive lawn decoration you ever bought...even the gnomes will be laughing. Set some money aside for enjoyment. You will also need places to drive to...when you get there have dinner, maybe spend the night at a hotel or friends/relatives, look some of us up and get a caravan together.

Here's the step=by-step:

1. BUY ONE YOU WILL LOVE TO DRIVE!
2. DRIVE IT!
3. DRIVE IT MORE!
4. DRIVE IT MORE MORE!
5. DRIVE IT MORE INFINITY!!!

NUFF SED?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:04 AM
standup
Drifting

I'd only spend $16980 on a C3....the rest I'd spend on beer to celebrate :cheers:

......and BTW....it would have to be a chrome bumper Vert (maybe a big block this time):)
Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Buy a cheap C3 and then put all the rest into MY mods. Find a C3 for about $4000 and put the other $13,000 into making it like I would want it. That would get it close to being complete. :yesnod: :flag
Old 08-20-2003, 04:56 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tough question. (Rockn-Roll)

Don't forget gas!...

Seriously. That's about what I had when I was looking for a vette. I chose to find a vette that was clean. I like doing my own work, and the worst job is cleaning everything and trying to find where all the crap is leaking from. Start with a clean car and you can add to it without worrying about the new stuff getting dirty. You should be able to find a nice clean vette for around 10K that is fun to drive, though maybe not a 350HP monster. That will leave you with enough money for gas, a SCCA course and solo licence, track fees, gas (did I mention that), tires, racing oil, helmet and roll bar, 5-point seat belt harness, gas (did I say that already), dining money for the women that will be all over you, new rims for the new racing tires, gas (I think it leaks out or something), windshield wiper blades (they crack in the sun and look ratty after awhile), sunglasses, Zaino, gas (get my point).

If you spend all the money on the car then it will be the most expensive lawn decoration you ever bought...even the gnomes will be laughing. Set some money aside for enjoyment. You will also need places to drive to...when you get there have dinner, maybe spend the night at a hotel or friends/relatives, look some of us up and get a caravan together.

Here's the step=by-step:

1. BUY ONE YOU WILL LOVE TO DRIVE!
2. DRIVE IT!
3. DRIVE IT MORE!
4. DRIVE IT MORE MORE!
5. DRIVE IT MORE INFINITY!!!

NUFF SED?
Old 08-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I said buy a nice C3 but it really depends on if it's a second car or if it's going to be your only transportation. Old vettes are classy and the new ones don't come close in styling (IMO) but if it going to be your main source of transportation you may want to think twice. Old vettes are quirky and can be very tempermental. I have to say a nice, new(er) C5 would be a little tempting to me. :thumbs:
Old 08-20-2003, 08:06 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Tough question. (Mystery Machine)

IF you are an ET/EE with a good clear concise understanding of wiring, and theory, and can do mechanical work too....you may consider a newer vette, BUT, the relatively minor engine controlls that are/have been accomplished since the late 80's with just an engine computer, makes a C3 with DPFI, and an overdrive tranny very doable....

I bought my '72 vert with custom paint done some 7 years ago, and it was close to 10 years on the paint then.....but all the mechanicals were original....
perfect car for me, for 8 grand, both tops new also....
bolted in the interior for a grand, replaced the entire suspensions....2500 bux....
replaced entire cooling system, changed to serp drive,....did the DPFI on original engine which was allready rebuilt and good clean condition...should have stayed with that setup, really and just added the o/drive.....
but I put in a hotrod engine....gained ~150 hp or so.....
put on wheels/tires from '92 vette cost another grand.....with new rubber....

so I have about 15 grand into the car, doing all the work myself over the last 7 years, paint is tired, but then again so am I.......

GENE
Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

What happend to your 79 that is listed in your signature? I have a soft spot for the 79s.

If I were looking again to buy, it would be another bumper car with more options and alot nicer than what I got already. I like doing the work myself and making the car like I want it. But it would have been cheaper to buy one already done. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Tough question.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Peglegusus
Intermediate

Default Re: Tough question. (Eddie 70)

My '79 was sold about 2 years ago. I had been getting offers on it even though it wasn't for sale and finally one was too high to refuse. I was really wanting a vert, anyway, so it gave me a good start on saving for it. I started the poll because I know a guy with a '97 he wants to sell, I've driven it a couple of times and it's pretty bad azzz, but I guess my first love is a C3 vert, they may not perform as well, but the coolness factor makes up for it. :D
Old 08-20-2003, 09:38 AM
dreamingbaby
Advanced

Buy a C3............ :smash: :smash:
Old 08-20-2003, 12:29 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Tough question. (dreamingbaby)

I would buy a beat up C3 and drop a LS1 or 6 in it. Would also redo all the suspension, put some 17's on, and go out and have fun with it. All you need is a streight body!

Quick Reply: Tough question.