C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:47 AM
RedAudiomobile
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (NEW BETTER PICS!!!)

I am looking to invest in a 68-70 big block convertible. I am not to worried if the exterior perfect.

I found a 1968 convertible 427. Here is all the information....

1968 Chevrolet Corvette
427/390 hp Engine - Matching numbers
4 speed
Convertible with both tops
60,000 original miles
3.23 Positraction rear end

The engine was totally rebuilt with the best of everything:
TRW forged pistons
Manley SS valves
Nickel valve seats (for unleaded gas)
New valve guides (not knurled)
True-Roller timing chain
Miloden high performance oil pump
Holley Double Pumper Carburetor was rebuilt along with the engine.
Engine has just over 2000 miles after rebuild.

New clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing (when engine was
rebuilt)
SS Brake calipers
New brake lines and pads
New master cylinder
The rear suspension was completely rebuilt including:
Trailing arms
Wheel bearings
Rear leaf spring
Rear stabilizer bar
All six u-joints
And shocks all the way around

New 2 ½ inch aluminized exhaust system with headers
K&N Air Filter
New alternator, battery, and valve covers.
Goodyear Eagle ST tires all the way around.

Same owner for the last 15 years, car garaged and never driven in the
rain or snow.

Paint and interior are fair to above average.
Drive train, chassis and engine are in excellent condition.

The carburetor is not original. It came from the factory with a
rochester but was replaced with a Holley spreadbore before I purchased
the car.

Engine block, heads, intake manifold, transmission, and rearend are all
original.

He wants $18,900. I have looked at a lot of these early years, and this looks like a good deal. Let me know if I am way off. Thanks.

[Modified by RedAudiomobile, 1:10 AM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (RedAudiomobile)

A local guy! I'm in the next town over. Looks like a pretty nice car. Sounds like a lot of work has been done. Check for rust on the frame and the windshield frame. These can be expensive to fix. Looks like most other parts on the car have been replaced or rebuilt. Not a bad price but the overall condition is hard to judge without seeing the car. Take a person who has no financial or love for the car to look at it. This way they can't be taken in by the WOW factor of the car. Good luck, looks good. If you get it I'm sure I'll see you around.
The 3.23 rear is not a standard gear. It is 3.08 or 3.31,3.55, 3.70

[Modified by Gordonm, 10:04 AM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Robd
Pro

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (RedAudiomobile)

I'm sure if you had them you would have posted them but I will ask anyway. Do you have engine pics.

Hey it even has the stock radio, even better it has the elusive radio *****. :D
What sn is it.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:10 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (Gordonm)

Hey your close to vineland also check out http://www.contes.com and talk with joe,great guy and has very nice cars too.That car looks pretty good for the price alot done to it already too.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 10:11 AM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
77Dream
Drifting

I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help
First, "invest in a C3" is an oxymoron. You will spend way more money on it then its ever worth to anyone else but you. Second, the best I can tell from the pics and description thats a pretty good deal! 68 427 that looks to be indecent shape for 18.9, seems good to me. Make sure the underside is not covered in rust though, if its about to fall apart then you want to stay away.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:30 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (77Dream)

First, "invest in a C3" is an oxymoron. You will spend way more money on it then its ever worth to anyone else but you.
:iagree: You don't buy these cars to turn a profit. It's a labor of love.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 AM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Wish I had your money to throw around. Sounds like a sweet car that you will be able to drive away. As mentioned, be sure to check for rust, but other than that I'd say you have found your car.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (canada74)

Good luck..Sounds like a good buy......The money only starts to go AFTER you buy it..You will see :yesnod:
Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (canada74)

:cool:

There is a couple of us "Young" guys here w/ C3. :thumbs:

She looks like a beauty. :yesnod:
Old 08-15-2003, 12:22 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (Corey 68)

1968 is loaded with 1 year only parts and was chock full of problems from the factory that were fixed in 1969 - 1970. So, remember that if you want to get a '68.

It also makes a '68 somewhat rare as not everyone wants one, and parts are not any where near as common.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:28 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (BSeery)

It has been said her many times, "Buy the best car you can afford; one that someone else has already dumped a ton of money into."

That one seems fairly priced, but as mentioned above I would be concerned about a 68 for the reasons already stated, but by all means do get a chromed bumper car. Just my opinion.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Robd
Pro

From the pics the car seems to be fairly correct.
I don’t necessarily agree with the previous posts about investments on c3's. I was 18 when I bought my '68, (almost 20 years ago). Your young, keep it long enough, make smart decisions with it and it will do fine. I don’t consider my car an investment, however it is nice that it does appreciate in value.
I do however agree that it is a labor of love, lord knows the trials and tribulations I have gone through with my car over the years can only be attributed to my love for it. For that reason alone I most likely will never part with it .

All I know is I want to get my car finished so I can enjoy it!

Good luck and happy car hunting!
:D

[Modified by Robd, 1:09 PM 8/15/2003]

[Modified by Robd, 3:30 PM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (OHSIXX)

IMO, us Florida guys have some rose colored glasses on these old vettes, as any down here mostly are in allready great shape rust wise, and even driven every day down here, they hardly ever see salty roads, unless on the beach....and they never get all that rusty, and they can be used all year long...
but up in NJ and other NE states, rust and time on the road is a huge problem...makes loving a car that much more difficult when being inside 1/2 the year, and typically it takes a month or more to get it roadworthy after winter's hibernation....
buying any CAR for an investment is likely not a good idea....

the insurance alone makes it not a good idea....

GENE
Old 08-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (BSeery)

1968 is loaded with 1 year only parts and was chock full of problems from the factory that were fixed in 1969 - 1970. So, remember that if you want to get a '68.

It also makes a '68 somewhat rare as not everyone wants one, and parts are not any where near as common.
:iagree: Some of the parts are difficult to locate, but not impossible. You will hear horror stories about the '68 from various people, often who know nothing of the subject. The year has some flaw's but nothing that can't be fixed, many years ago we made the '69 upgrades and no one can tell the difference.

My point is don't let the idea of it being a '68 stop you from getting the car you want.

:cheers:
Old 08-15-2003, 05:03 PM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (Robd)

Hey it even has the stock radio, even better it has the elusive radio *****. :D
Do you mean these radio *****?

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...CORVETTE_PARTS

if ti doesnt work just go to riksvets.com
Old 08-15-2003, 05:08 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in your boat too.

I'm on the end of my 23rd year on this planet and its been long to go without a vette!

After reading a lot of stuff on the net, and on this forum I have decided to do as already stated. That is to by the best that I can afford. Insurance still worries me, but its something that I think I can make work. At least in my state they now require all cars to be insured. Not that I would drive a car without insurance, but it makes me just a little bit more comfortable knowing that the number of insured drivers is going up. If you get caught with no insurance they hit for a hefty grand or so.

I digress....

I bet if you laid a 16.5k on the table for that car he may go for it!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (77Dream)

I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some helpFirst, "invest in a C3" is an oxymoron. You will spend way more money on it then its ever worth to anyone else but you. Second, the best I can tell from the pics and description thats a pretty good deal! 68 427 that looks to be indecent shape for 18.9, seems good to me. Make sure the underside is not covered in rust though, if its about to fall apart then you want to stay away.
I have to disagee on the first part of you statment. I have owned eleven corvettes over the years and made money on most of them. I have never sold or traded one that I got less than I paid for it. While you can get stung on a bad corvette, it is usually because you didn't do your home work. Repairs, are going to be required on ANY used car you buy so you can't really count them. Electronics, anti-lock brake stuff, and high tech newer stuff is very expensive in comparison to stuff for our C-3's

Get notified of new replies

To I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help

Old 08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest???? Hmmm...I think "expend" would be the more appropriate word. But im not trying to dis-courage you. Its a great way to spend. That a nice lookin 68 vert you got yur eye on. Did the owner mention how much money he has spent on it total? Very rarely does one get back all thier money when they sell a modified car.

:cheers:
Old 08-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (Jvette73)

I'll throw this in. The "numbers matching" block, etc has value. Given that so much else has been changed from original, it will still be costly to return it to NCRS specs for Top Flight. As such, it will not be as good an investment as a completely original car. Th emore original, the higher the premium. As parts become harder to find (not a reason to avoid the 68 as Corey pointed out), the more expensive a restoration to NCRS specs will be. This COULD affect future value. All in all, however, if you treat the car well and hold onto it long enough, it will hold its value.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:03 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help (Robert N)

Looks pretty good from here, like they said above, check frame for rust or repairs. Good luck.

:thumbs: :seeya

Quick Reply: I'm 20, and looking to invest in a C3, I need some help