C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for my car?

Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay for my car?

Don't get me wrong... I love my car but lately........... I can't put my finger on it but I almost seem to be losing interest. I have no immediate plans to sell the car and who knows, next season rolls around and I get a lot of road time maybe this nagging urge will go away. Right now I'm just looking to find what a fair price would be.

Car as it stands:

Black with oxblood interior. Paint is in poor shape interior isn't bad at all but isn't brand new.
Smart struts
VBP composite rear spring
AR 200S wheels
TH 400 transmission
3.08 rear end
100 Amp alternator, chrome
Headers
True duals
ZZ4 crate engine w/2000 miles
Holley Multi Point Fuel Injection. *Still needs fine tuning*
Center console accepts modern radio.
AutoMeter gauges in center console.
Steeroids rack and pinion kit with the car but not installed.
Frame in good shape
AFAIK body is in good shape.

--That is the good---

The bad:
Parking brake doesn't work.
Headlight relays need to be reattached. (Fix bubba)
No working radio. (Could be a good thing, radios are a very personal choice)
Small hole in bottom of battery box.
t-tops creak a little.
Power windows need to be adjusted.
Diff leaks.

That's really about all. Car is in overall good shape.

So... What would you guys pay?

[Modified by Cookwithvette, 12:18 PM 8/4/2003]
Old 08-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (Cookwithvette)

I said 7K or less but that's sight unseen. Depressing ain't it? You probably have way more into it...like me. :rolleyes:
Old 08-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (Mystery Machine)

I said 7K or less but that's sight unseen. Depressing ain't it? You probably have way more into it...like me. :rolleyes:
Yeah, kinda is. I have nearly that in engine alone. I'm thinking if I ever sell it I'd put the old (rebuilt) motor in it and sell the injected zz4 seperately.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:55 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

As I was reading it, I was thinking that you would probably get considerable more $$ by selling the engine, FI, and steroids seperately. Now that I see you do have the orig engine, that would definately be the way to go.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (BeaterShark)

Yes pull the crate motor and install the original id say 8-9K like that then you can turn around and sell all your parts seperatly thats the only way to go.

johnny
Old 08-04-2003, 07:50 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Small hole in bottom of battery box.
Your not refering to the drain hole that is supposed to be there are you? There should be two holes, one under the battery and one under the jack. You can get a NOS GM plug from TLD.

:cheers:
Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (77Dream)

Nah, it's in a back corner. Looks like perhaps a battery cracked and the acid ate away at it. :confused: Can battery acid eat fiberglass?

Thanks for the tip though. I am missing the jack side plug. :cheers:
Old 08-04-2003, 08:59 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would not buy your car, but put a thin layer of grease along the T-Top and the it will make it considerably better. :)
Old 08-04-2003, 09:02 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pictures. The engine / FI system sounds interesting? How much do you think you would take for that set-up only?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (74 vert)

If the time should ever come that I'm fed up with it I'd probably want ~$5-6,000 for the motor/FI combo. Consider it's essentially a brand new engine, never been raced, properly broken in. Cost me close to $4,000. The fuel injection setup was around $3,000 when you add ignition components. (That doesn't include the cost of the braided SS hose and fittings I used.) That AND it would be 99.5% tuned. The .5% would be acceleration enrichment which differs from car to car because of weight and gearing.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:nono: You can't just walk away from this corvette addiction. As far as youv'e taken your car I can tell you'd be shopping for a new hot-rod in weeks - maybe days. To give up now would be like quitting smoking or losing 30 pounds and actually keeping it off. Yes, you'd suffer. :sad:
Just buy a cheap ricer (RX7 or maybe a Toyota Corroda) as a daily driver to remind yourself what a real hot-rod is. :D
Old 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Cookwithvette...

I wouldn't take it too personally the numbers you see in the votes you are seeing in this thread you started. You submitted it to a forum of vette critics after all who can rip every E-bay auction or *for sale* vette to pieces because they know what to look for. In the real world there's no telling what you can draw for your car. Odds are one of these guys/gals will not be the witness to the sale. I voted less than $7000 just as one of those critics, but I have $21K in a '74. Who's the ding-dong here?

I have a vote for myself. :cheers:
Old 08-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (cardo0)

No... the ricer is out of the question. :lol:
See, thing is, awhile ago I had an epiphany. --cue flashback music--

A few years ago, shortly after graduating from culinary school, I realized that cooking was NOT something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Exactly what I wanted to do remained a mystery but I was absolutely sure what I didn't want to be doing.

Sometime in late 2001 a friend of mine bought a hopped up 69 Camaro... that butthead let me drive it knowing full well what it would do to me. :lol: We looked around for hotrods and found a nice one for ~4,500. Malibu, size of an aircraft carrier but already visions of a roots supercharger sticking through that MASSIVE flat hood were in my mind. Then, with a snap I remembered the car that had always held my facination. Even when I was 13 I saw shark-style 'Vettes and just drooled. That October I bought one in Ohio. Six months later I had a title in my name.
---End flashback---

Despite all this I still didn't have a way out of the kitchen. I knew I wanted to go back to school (or to a real school however you want to look at it.) but for what? This unusually wet July has found me glued to the computer watching the storms approach, seeing how systems interact with each other, I was facinated. In fact... I was hooked. I now fully intend to go to school for meteorology. Bear in mind I'm 22 years old so I'm getting a bit of a late start here. All my friends will be graduating soon. The good part is there is a Penn State campus in the same city as where I work. I can only go there for two years though before I'd have to go to main campus. Another upside to this is that Penn State has an exceptional meteorology program.

So you're probably wondering how this relates to selling the car. I've been rambling so long even I'm forgetting what I started out to say. October is coming again. It will mark two years of owning a Corvette. Number of shows attended: 0, number of whole months on the road: 0. The last place I worked has started a Sunday cruise-in. I drive by every Sunday in my dad's Ford no-guts Ranger. Granted the last few were rained out but still, one week there was an entire row of Corvettes. I pulled in and talked to a couple of friends who still worked there and they confirmed it was a Corvette club. *sigh* I have vowed to make it this year. :lol: So, not having it on the road is indeed a frustration albiet one of my choosing.

The biggest trouble comes in trusting myself. I can't relax when driving, I'm always wondering "what's that smell? What's that noise? Is that gasoline? Did I screw something up?" Anyone ever see the show Monk? That's pretty much me driving.

I am definately going to wait until next year to decide what to do because I have learned that the more I drive it the more I relax and begin to trust it.

I hope you guys can kind of understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to take a rational approach and not make any hasty decisions. I DO love my car. It makes every other car I drive actually frustrating. I swear I spend half of the time driving that ranger at WOT yelling at it. Getting on highways is a blast. Scooting through intersections when the light turns green is a thrill. Not to mention scaring the crap out of passangers by taking a corner pretty quick and not even squealing the tires is great payback for certain friends who get us into this sport. :D Still, school is going to be tough and I'm going to need to see where the 'Vette fits into the grand scheme of things. I truely hope I can keep it.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. :cheers:

[Modified by Cookwithvette, 1:28 AM 8/5/2003]
Old 08-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I voted $15 to $17,000

I think all Corvettes are worth every penny you can get. Not saying I could afford you vette at all right now. but if I had it, you would have a sale...

I hope seeing the 15 to 17 made you feel better..... :thumbs: :D
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (Desertdawg)

bgrice, Yeah, I hadn't though of that. The forum can be kind of harsh. :lol:

Desertdawg, Thanks Dawg! :cheers:
Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Maybe you should have asked: "If it were your car, what price would you ask for it?"

I would think the results would be quite different.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

I didn't even vote. Sounds like I was exactly where you are now three years ago. After the first few years, I spent more time under the car than in.
It was always something, each year seemed to unmask a different problem.
I wasn't bored, but rather somewhat discouraged. I kept on going. It took me ($$$$ alot $$$$) a few years to get it sound and running well, and it sounds like that's pretty much where your at in this stage of Corvette Ownership.

My suggestion is to keep it.
Paint it and restore the interior.

Mechanically, it sounds real close to done.
Cosmetically, there's still plenty of work to do.

I personally got more gratification from the cosmetics than almost anything else. Simply because you could see the progress. Not that new brakes are not important, but they don't "Shine in the Sun"

Don't give up now, your to close.

Just my .02, Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To How much would you pay for my car?

Old 08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

$8k tops...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much would you pay for my car? (CORVETTE CRAIG)

Thanks for the encouragement. :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Cook, you know my Corvette experiences are about just the opposite of most other guys,.....My '72 here was an old show car, and the paint was damn nice when I got it 7 years ago, allthough it was about 7+ years old THEN, but the mechanicals were stock, top new, interior trash.....

so I did the interior, and mechanicals....if it moved it was new....since then it's been a rolling mod/test lab if you will.....and been interesting to say the least....the long list of mods reads from silly to sublime...

GENE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much would you pay for my car?