C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 02:50 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default 1981 Front Air Dam

Hello. The front air dam on my buddies 81 is badly damaged. It needs replacing....BUT...he has heard some horror stories about the fit of the pieces you buy from Ecklers, Corvette America, etc. Has anyone changed theirs?

-Was there problems with fit?
-Was installation tough?
-Where did you get it?

I am not talking about the black rubber part of the air dam. I am talking about the plastice piece in the middle of the two fender parts that brings air to the radiator.

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 07-28-2003, 03:26 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1981 Front Air Dam (cicch95)

I bought mine from Ecklers a few years ago, the fit was pretty close but you will have to drill your own holes for mounting as it doesn't come pre-drilled...at least the fiberglass one didn't. I think only one spot was off to where I couldn't get a good hole drilled, but that was really no problem. I also replaced the rubber and metal strips, the fit was right on for those. Pretty easy job actually, get the car on ramps and it's even easier. Some small C-clamps will help when marking and drilling holes.

My original one was so bad that the faster I went the more it would drag on the street, and it really sounded bad too.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got mine from Mid America, although they are probably all the same thing. Mine fit good. I too had to drill the holes for mounting, but everything went just fine. Oh yeah, mine is the fiberglass replacement as well. I would suggest that after he gets it put on he makes a bracket to hold the point in the center up to the tow hook area. It prevents it from sagging down in the center.

-Justin
Old 07-28-2003, 06:08 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

even one you have to do some trimming to fit is better than a badly damaged or missing one. it is absolutely essential that you make sure that thing is in place and functioning correctly. i almost cooked an engine once when i removed mine for some mods.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Hello. The front air dam on my buddies 81 is badly damaged. It needs replacing....BUT...he has heard some horror stories about the fit of the pieces you buy from Ecklers, Corvette America, etc. Has anyone changed theirs?
Clutchdust is right on...you don't want to drive without it and as you indicated..."it brings air to the radiator. John Hinckley in this months "Corvette Enthusiast" talks about C3 cooling and explains the rationale for the air dam...it's essential.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: 1981 Front Air Dam (hunt4cleanair)

Thanks for the advice so far guys! It is much appreciated. A few of you mentioned that you got the fiberglass replacement. Is there another choice? Looking in Ecklers I only see the fiberglass one.

By the way, here is a pic of my buddy Ken's C3....the one in question!!!

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 07-29-2003, 08:54 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car..reminds me of one of the other guys car here on the forum. Hope you get the air damn situation squared away...bye!

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Front Air Dam

Quick Reply: 1981 Front Air Dam