C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer on '78 L82 4spd??

Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 PM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Harmonic Balancer on '78 L82 4spd??

Hey guys. Need to change out the harmonic balancer on my '78 L82 4 spd. Any suggestions on a good one to buy? It is just a driver and never driven hard. Also, tips on changing it out etc. and what else in close proximity to do while it's down would be appreciated too. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

These work great......team it with a premium timing pointer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80000
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-60110/overview/

That Moroso pointer comes very close to TDC out of the package.
Mine on my 406 was spot on out of the package checked with my indicator and bridge.

Make setting timing a no brainer after you add these parts.....you will be glad you did.

Jebby
Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MGB
Hey guys. Need to change out the harmonic balancer on my '78 L82 4 spd. Any suggestions on a good one to buy? It is just a driver and never driven hard. Also, tips on changing it out etc. and what else in close proximity to do while it's down would be appreciated too. Thanks.
You could have it rebuilt if the problem is the outer ring slipping off the rubber. Otherwise, stick with GM service replacement.

I removed mine but I had the radiator out, power steering pump out of the way and accessed it from underneath.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:49 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Having the right tool for the job makes life so much easier. I used a tool made by Alltrade and it went a lot better than I was expecting.
I didn't remove the rad but did remove The mechanical fan and worked from above.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:33 PM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default dampner removal

Originally Posted by MGB
I just removed and reinstalled mine L-82 78 pace car. Removed the AC compressor, loosened the PS and alt belts used a good puller and a good reinstall tool, checked it over, remarked the timing mark, painted it and reinstalled all from the top side. Heated it up on a radiator before installing and it went on slick as mouse milk.also remove fan

Last edited by caryb78; 01-28-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer on '78 L82 4spd??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer on '78 L82 4spd??