C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monty is selling his car !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 07:44 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Monty is selling his car !!!!

I just noticed that Monty is selling his incredibly awesome C3 :sad: . It seems that these guys that build the coolest C3's end up selling them shortly afterwards :nonod: .

As much as I end up working on my car versus driven it, it can be very frustating at times, but I hope I never get to the point where I'd want to sell it. Even when I've considered selling it to step up to a C5, it know that I've put just so much into my Corvette to make it mine that I couldn't do it. My Corvette isn't as nice as many as the other here, but it helps keep me going to hope that someday it will be darn near perfect :flag .

30K for Monty's car is a great deal IMHO, I hope he doesn't have any regrets when it goes :) .
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (SmokedTires)

i know i saw it today and oh most crapped myself,i couldnt believe it :sad: :nonod:
Old 07-15-2003, 07:46 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

After all the work he did on the car I am disappointed to hear that.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:48 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (norvalwilhelm)

where did you guys see this?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:49 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (norvalwilhelm)

Not only does he have the coolest looking engine that fits under a hood, but he has so many cool ideas and has offered much help & knowledge on this forum.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:49 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (QuickVet)

I noticed it earlier today. It's in his forum sig, :sad:

[Modified by SmokedTires, 7:50 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I saw it in the for sale section. He was talking about this about a month ago. Never thought he would do it. Wish I had a spare 30 LARGE to blow on it.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the free advertising. Yes, the car is "passively" for sale. I did add that to my signature, and make a post to the C3 for sale section, but I haven't posted it on eBay or in the local "auto traders" or anything. It depends on finding the right buyer as much as it does getting the money I want for it

I guess it just boils down to the fact that I prefer to design and build stuff more than I like to enjoy the finished product. I'm looking into some other projects, turbocharged of course, and since I haven't even driven the Vette in over a month, I figure I might as well try to get something back out of it. Unfortunately, hot rodding is a money losing proposition, and I'm asking less than 50% what I've got into it, not to mention the 1000's of hours of time I've got into it.

My wife and I bought a beach house and we've been spending all of our weekends there. I also recently bought a boat and have been having alot of fun with that. It just doesn't leave much time for the car at this time.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:22 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (Monty)

Well Monty, if you're just in it for the "thrill of the build", feel free to dump a butt load of your money and expertise into my car any day. I'm not proud.

:D :crazy: :smash: :cheers:

P.S. SmokedTires - I have to say, your car looks awesome. I've never been a big fan of the 74-77 era, but you have created one SWEET looking car. (This is a major compliment so please don't get insulted)

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 8:30 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:52 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

...the car is "passively" for sale...It depends on finding the right buyer as much as it does getting the money I want for it...
...I'm asking less than 50% what I've got into it, not to mention the 1000's of hours of time I've got into it.
Monty, I have NO DOUBT that I'm the "right buyer". . . too bad I'm under funded! :(
Whadda bargain! :yesnod:

When they're selling hamburgers for a dime and you've only got a nickle.... All ya can do is run down the street screamin' WHADDA DEAL!!! :cry

Good luck finding the right home for it. :thumbs:
Old 07-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (MIKER)

I saw that today as well. After watching all the work he went through it amazes me that he would sell. That's a great car Monty, wish I had a spare 30 k's. I do hope if you get it sold you get what you want, and stick around so we can continue to pick up little bits of your expertise.

-Justin
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit monty, you should have done this back in january before I started my conversion, I think I woulda dumped mine and picked yours up!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Ok, now that I have had time to think about this for a while let me see if I can organize my thoughts and lay them out logically on this.

It seems unfathomable that a car of this type could sell for so cheap. I thought I added up all the engine cost alone at one point and it came to over 20K. Even without the engine, the car is set up with all the mods that everybody wants to do to their car anyway (suspension, cooling, steering, brakes, trans.... all bullet proof drivetrain) How much would it cost without the engine to build the car just with that stuff. It seems like such a steal for 30K in the long run to get this car, and seems like it would be so hard to sell for that price for all the effort that has gone in to this project (and Merlins). I mean you could part the car out and make 30K couldn't you? It would kill me to sell this car for that price. I know you have your reasons and the journey is a big part of the project, but wow, I just couldn't do it.

This one and Merlins car seem to really be the deals of the century for anybody who would get into serious high performance corvettes for pennies on the dollar. I know most people don't have 30K laying around but if you did and you were wanting to get into it, I don't think there is a better deal out there.

If I could do a quick sell on my 2, it would be mine tomorrow.

With all of the handling upgrades you have done, how would it compare to a C4..C5...Z06? It isn't just a go fast car, it also handles well with all of that.

I am going to be very jealous of somebody in the very near future.

[Modified by Maurice, 8:07 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:27 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (Maurice)

I will buy it. I just fired an email to Monty and told the wife to expect a new addition to the family. This car is EXACTLY what I want to do to my 74, and I know damn well that I can't do to my 74 what he has done to his for under 30k. I hope your jealous of me very soon. If that thing is really streetable and I can convince the wife the maintance costs wont be outrageous, I'll do it. I just hope Monty thinks i'm the right type for his baby.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Monty is selling his car !!!! (pingdashf)

Congrats if you are serious. You will be getting the deal of the century. I don't think that the maintenance cost will be that high. I mean really, for how long of a period of time can you run that monster above 3K rpms before you run out of road or cajones.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:51 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

P.S. SmokedTires - I have to say, your car looks awesome. I've never been a big fan of the 74-77 era, but you have created one SWEET looking car. (This is a major compliment so please don't get insulted)
Thanks 79Mako, my car is a 20 footer still until I can get it painted. If I could just leave the engine alone :rolleyes: .

Maurice I too had added up Monty's parts list for his original 427 buildup :bb . I have it printed out and still refer to it from time to time. Your so right about not being able to reproduce his car for anywhere near his asking price. This is such a great deal but even if I sold mine I'd be afraid my wife would have my head on the chopping block :crazy: .
Old 07-16-2003, 07:58 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

There's a member here in SW FL who is looking to replace his wrecked C5 with a C3. I'm hoping he buys Monty's car. I'd love to see Monty's car in real life, I know he'd bring it to the Corvette Challenge. :party:

Get notified of new replies

To Monty is selling his car !!!!

Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Tominator
Drifting

It is a surprise, but to some it's the thrill of the hunt thats most rewarding.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Ok, now that I have had time to think about this for a while let me see if I can organize my thoughts and lay them out logically on this.

It seems unfathomable that a car of this type could sell for so cheap. I thought I added up all the engine cost alone at one point and it came to over 20K. Even without the engine, the car is set up with all the mods that everybody wants to do to their car anyway (suspension, cooling, steering, brakes, trans.... all bullet proof drivetrain) How much would it cost without the engine to build the car just with that stuff. It seems like such a steal for 30K in the long run to get this car, and seems like it would be so hard to sell for that price for all the effort that has gone in to this project (and Merlins). I mean you could part the car out and make 30K couldn't you? It would kill me to sell this car for that price. I know you have your reasons and the journey is a big part of the project, but wow, I just couldn't do it.

This one and Merlins car seem to really be the deals of the century for anybody who would get into serious high performance corvettes for pennies on the dollar. I know most people don't have 30K laying around but if you did and you were wanting to get into it, I don't think there is a better deal out there.

If I could do a quick sell on my 2, it would be mine tomorrow.

With all of the handling upgrades you have done, how would it compare to a C4..C5...Z06? It isn't just a go fast car, it also handles well with all of that.

I am going to be very jealous of somebody in the very near future.

[Modified by Maurice, 8:07 PM 7/15/2003]
Unfortunately, that's hot rodding. I've got at least $30k into the engine alone, so you're basically getting the car with all new drivetrain, suspension, brakes, suspension, cooling, fule system, leather interior, etc for free.

$30k is alot of cash for most people, myself included, to come up with, so that's why it's priced aggressively. I'm not reallu in a hurry, or desperate to sell it, so that's why I feel comfortable with witing for the right person to come along. the right person being someone who can respect the potential of 1200 hp without killing or injuring themselves or others, someone who is capable of maintaining the car, etc. With regards to maintenance, there really shouldn't be any any more maintenance required than any other solid roller hot rod engine. Change the oil regularly, let the engine high idle for a few moments after spirited driving to lube the turbos, check the valve lash once or twice a year, keep an eye out for leaks, check the torque on the headers and turbo system fasteners every once in awhile and that's abotu it. Everything else is standard "old Corvette" stuff. Everythings new or rebuild, so it's pretty low maintenance. I haven't had to do anything to the car except change the oil since late Feb/early March.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:14 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

I dunno, i think a car with 1200HP needs a lot of maintenance and garage time. I don't think it's gonna sell to a lazy rich guy. The market is pretty much only for an advanced mechanic with a lot of money and time. I hope you get what your asking but you may have it for quite a while, (and nothing wrong with that). Good luck, and compliments to all your hard work Monty, it shows. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Monty is selling his car !!!!