C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems

Old 06-26-2003, 05:08 AM
white74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems

I have bought a tremec tko from Forte's parts connection. I assembled the parts myself and cannot return them. Now I want the look and finish of the Keisler auto trans. (For those of you who do not know the difference the Keisler piece has the shifter in the same location as the original muncie.) I was wondering if any of you would have any suggestions. The keisler is shown here, http://www.keislerauto.com/Corvette_5Speed.htm Do you think I should sell the Forte tko and start over with a keisler tko or does someone have a suggestion on fabricating a shifter.
If I decide to sell it has anyone sold one on the forum.
I started this project with the hopes of just replacing the transmission now. Then replacing the rear end. Then changing the motor. This is my second problem my original engine had been replaced (without my knowledge) with a 327. My mechanic tells me that he is afraid that if he cuts the scattershield for the 327 when I get a 350 I will have to buy a new scattershield. Has anyone ever replaced a 327 with a 350. Did this cause problems with your headers.

This brings me to my third problem. I will now be installing a new motor with the edelbrock e-tec heads http://www.enginefactory.com/465hp.htm does anyone have any experience with this motor and do I need to use vortec headers. The only modification from the motor shown will be a msd tach drive with the rev limiter box. If anyone has run a similar setup, please give me any advice you have.

I appreciate your time, but will be unable to answer any questions for about two weeks as I work offshore and will not be near a computer.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:42 AM
white74
Intermediate

Default Re: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems (white74)

I would also like some advice on the hydraulic clutch setup. I like the feel of a mechanical clutch, but the mechanic says the hydraulic one will last longer in the long run. I also neglected to mention this is a automatic to manual changeover.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't hold me to it, but I think if you'll check Keisler's site, they mention that they will take YOUR TKO or T56 tranny and modify it for a price. Check with them at 865 609-8187; they're great people to work with. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:00 AM
bossvette
Advanced

Default Re: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems (Marks69BB)

I have a TKO from Fortes in my 76 and opted to make a new shift plate hope this shows up http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=3042363
I have since installed a B&M ripper shifter with a shorter curved handle and like it much better

[Modified by bossvette, 2:01 PM 6/26/2003]

[Modified by bossvette, 2:02 PM 6/26/2003]

[Modified by bossvette, 2:03 PM 6/26/2003]
Old 06-26-2003, 10:13 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems (Marks69BB)

Call kiesler - I bet they will take your trans and modify it or give you some credit towards a purchase of their kit. They offered this to me when I called them about the same thing some time ago - I opted to go with the TKO only and do the rest myself.

Bossvette and I did much the same.

[Modified by fauxrs, 7:19 AM 6/26/2003]
Old 06-26-2003, 11:38 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems (fauxrs)

I haven't seen any vortec headers, only intake manifolds. The vortec exhaust ports are in the same location as normal heads, the plugs are a little closer, so there may be boot contact with some headers.

Also, why is the guy cutting the scatter shield? 350 and 327 have the same block externally, and I didn't think the small journals (if you have them) made a diffference as far as the block plate goes. Joe

[Modified by joe73vette, 11:40 AM 6/26/2003]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Weird Science
Instructor

This is my second problem my original engine had been replaced (without my knowledge) with a 327. My mechanic tells me that he is afraid that if he cuts the scattershield for the 327 when I get a 350 I will have to buy a new scattershield. Has anyone ever replaced a 327 with a 350. Did this cause problems with your headers.
???? How much experience does you mechanic have with SBC stuff? No new scattershield would be required.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:35 PM
bossvette
Advanced

Default Re: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems (Weird Science)

The Small block Chevy is externally the same as far as bolt patterns with the exception of the earlier heads not having tapped holes in the ends. As your car was offered in a manual trands you should have no problems finding the correct pieces to convert to mechanical clutch linkage, the clutch fork on a Corvette is different as I found out the hard way. My Scattershield (lakewood) fits all chevy V8's 1955 up. Suggest you check around for a Corvette Mechanic the 327 was produced from 1962-1968 or so and therefore has soft valve seats not the best for unleaded gas since you are purchasing a crate engine specify mechanical clutch so the machine shop will check the proper holes in the block are tapped for the cross shaft should be no big deal
Old 06-27-2003, 02:39 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

I also bought my Tremec from Fortes. Modifying the shifter for the stock setup is pretty easy. I had a welding shop cut the shifter stub and weld it over and then bolted a shortened Hurst handle to it. Works great, over 5000 miles on the combo with no problems.

Here is the pic:

[Modified by SteveG75, 1:41 AM 6/27/2003]
Old 06-27-2003, 02:46 AM
BB73Chris
Instructor

I would also like some advice on the hydraulic clutch setup. I like the feel of a mechanical clutch, but the mechanic says the hydraulic one will last longer in the long run. I also neglected to mention this is a automatic to manual changeover.
I think Norval is the man to ask about that... I think I'll be going this way too when I do an auto-->manual swap.

Get notified of new replies

To tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tremec tko, e-tec heads, new motor, problems