C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please confirm this procedure (Quieting rocker arm tapping)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 10:35 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please confirm this procedure (Quieting rocker arm tapping)

I have to replace a rocker arm nut that won't stay tight. I understand there is a procedure to quiet the rocker with the engine running. I did it last night but the darn nut "backed off" again. With the engine idling, I tightened the rocker nut until the tapping stopped. Then I backed it off again to make it tap. Following that, I tightened the nut until the tapping stopped and then turned the nut another 1/2 turn. I can't find this procedure in the "How to rebuild your small block Chevy" book. It only addresses adjusting the valve lash with the engine static. I'd appreciate the help or a link to this procedure guys.

Thanks, Rick
Old 06-25-2003, 10:53 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: Please confirm this procedure (Rick Church)

you right on every thing, but i think its 1/4 turn. also to get it from backing off, put another nut on, thus stopping the first one from backing off. id do tha unless you just rebuilt it, and its the first time its back off. most will after a rebuild once or twice, mine did once but i check it again at its first 3,000, havent had any other probs with it scince.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:54 PM
nada
Racer

Default Re: Please confirm this procedure (gravismaximus)

Thanks Gravis!

Rick
Old 06-25-2003, 11:01 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4 turn on running engine worked for me. I had to buy one new nut too. Like dork, I used one of the nuts to fasten the valve spring compressor on all the valves when I was changing the seals. That nut in question didn't loosen up, but I only left it on for a day before I replaced it with a new one.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:01 PM
kobuzz
Advanced

Might also check and make sure the stud isn't pulling out of the head. Been there, done that...
Old 06-26-2003, 09:43 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

After reading your first post I assume you have determine the stud is not loose, but the stud threads can be worn and not allow the nut threads to tighten against each other. Check how a new regular nut runs on the stud threads. If there is "slop" - the nut turns very easy and wobbles to the side then the stud threads are worn. You can double nut the stud, but the stud should be replaced.
Roger
Old 06-26-2003, 10:25 AM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Please confirm this procedure (RMS73)

Your also using the proper lock nut I assume? The nuts have an oblong opening so they "lock" themselves, over a period of adjustments they lose their locking capability. Double nutting would be a temp fix, but not the proper one. Buy a new set of locking nuts, their only about $10.

Get notified of new replies

To Please confirm this procedure (Quieting rocker arm tapping)

Quick Reply: Please confirm this procedure (Quieting rocker arm tapping)