C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:43 AM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission installation tips?

Anyone have any tips for installing a manual transmission (Borg Warner)? I can't get the transmission any closer than 1.5cm from the bell housing. The shaft is in there, and it went through the throwout bearing and all that, but it won't go in further. I've been twisting and turning and lifting it for a good hour but I just can't seem to slide it in. What must one do?

Old 06-25-2003, 04:40 AM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Manual transmission installation tips? (VetticusSupersonicus)

Sounds like ur getting the tip of the shaft in but not the threaded groove parts lined up (insert dirty joke)... When I pulled my tranny, I had to rotate the tranny clock wise at about 3 oclock to completely remove it (it wouldnt let go pulling it strait out). Opp. when installing (start at 3, then go to 12). Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:39 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you have the clutch out? If so, did you use an alignment tool? Sounds like the clutch ic out of alignment.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:17 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple of things you could check. If you pulled the clutch it's possible that the clutch disc isn't aligned properly. Get an alighnment tool and make sure everything is straight or the tranny won't go in. If that's OK check to make sure that the cavity behind the flywheel bushing isn't packed completely with grease. If it is the grease won't compress and the shaft won't go in all the way. This is a common way to remove the pilot bushing, packing the cavity with grease, then inserting a rod and hammering the rod until the force of the grease behind the bearing forces it out. You may inadvertantly be trying to do the same thing. One tip I can give you that might make it easier is to install some long bolts on the top of the bellhousing with the heads cut off. This gives you a set of guidepins that allows you to hang the tranny on while you guide it in. Once it's in install the lower bolts and then remove the two top studs and install the regular bolts. Hope some of this helps.

[Modified by vettfixr, 9:18 AM 6/25/2003]
Old 06-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Manual transmission installation tips? (vettfixr)

There are a couple of things you could check. If you pulled the clutch it's possible that the clutch disc isn't aligned properly. Get an alighnment tool and make sure everything is straight or the tranny won't go in. If that's OK check to make sure that the cavity behind the flywheel bushing isn't packed completely with grease. If it is the grease won't compress and the shaft won't go in all the way. This is a common way to remove the pilot bushing, packing the cavity with grease, then inserting a rod and hammering the rod until the force of the grease behind the bearing forces it out. You may inadvertantly be trying to do the same thing. One tip I can give you that might make it easier is to install some long bolts on the top of the bellhousing with the heads cut off. This gives you a set of guidepins that allows you to hang the tranny on while you guide it in. Once it's in install the lower bolts and then remove the two top studs and install the regular bolts. Hope some of this helps.

[Modified by vettfixr, 9:18 AM 6/25/2003]
Wonder if you could use studs? Would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to get your hand back there to start the bolts. Studs sound much better.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:40 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

1.5CM?? IS THAT LIKE 1/2"?? if so do what I do (BUT DON`T TELL ANYONE) use the 4 mounting bolts, tighten them each carefully a little at a time and it will walk the trans into place. ...redvetracr
Old 06-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I can't get any closer than 1.5cm. The shaft is in there, and it went through and all that, but it won't go in further. I've been twisting and turning and lifting it for a good hour but I just can't seem to slide it in. What must one do?

:eek: A little more fore play? :jester

Seriously though, it does sound like the disc is out of alignment. The borg wennie is a 26 spline transmission and unlike a 10 slpined shaft the "twisting and turning" is probably unnessasary. I'm sure you got through the disc itself but if it's out of alignment you are probably not aligned properly to go that last 1/2" into the end of the crankshaft. With the pilot bushing in place ( it is there,right? :eek: ) it's a very close fit.

An alignment tool is a very useful piece for clutch installations. Your local parts store probably sells a universal tool for about $15.00 that can be used on many different clutches. No tool box is complete with out it.

Good luck.

Kris
Old 06-25-2003, 10:05 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Manual transmission installation tips? (Fevre)

Wonder if you could use studs? Would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to get your hand back there to start the bolts. Studs sound much better.
Not sure. I don't remember if the bolts go all the way through the bellhousing or if they bottom out. If they go all the way through you would have to depend on something like locktite to hold them in place while you tighten the nuts. Might be worth a try if you tend to remove the tranny a lot but it seems like the bolts are the simplest solution. Good thought though.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:42 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Manual transmission installation tips? (redvetracr)

1.5CM?? IS THAT LIKE 1/2"?? if so do what I do (BUT DON`T TELL ANYONE) use the 4 mounting bolts, tighten them each carefully a little at a time and it will walk the trans into place. ...redvetracr
The risk in doing this is that you potentially could snag the end of the shaft on the edge of the pilot bushing and actually push the bushing in too far!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:56 AM
adam
Drifting

Your pretty close...

Now have your helper go in and push on the clutch pedal, a little at a time.
You are allowing the clutch pad to shift a bit - now push the transmission!
There you go - done :hurray:

I was in the same place as you ST-10, couldn't get it the last 1/2 ".
Had the wife push a little bit on the clutch as I pushed. As soon as the
fork released a little pressure on the disc we were done...
:party:

:cheers:

Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With the tranny out, the motor will lean forward. It will also rock when you try to install the trans, making it very difficult to install.
Get a jack and a piece of wood (2x4, 4x4, etc). You want to support the front of the motor - like under the front of the pan or crank pulley area. Lightly jack up the front of the motor until it begins to angle back & gets more secure. The eng fan may be getting close to touching the rad shroud & the dist may be touching the firewall slightly.

Once you have the motor at this attitude and it's not moving around anymore, it should be easier to install the trans.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:59 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

Default Re: Manual transmission installation tips? (71coupe)

Now have your helper go in and push on the clutch pedal, a little at a time.
You are allowing the clutch pad to shift a bit - now push the transmission!
There you go - done
That worked for me too. Push in the clutch and "POP" in goes the trans. YOu just a helper though.
Good luck,
JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Manual transmission installation tips?

Quick Reply: Manual transmission installation tips?