C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thompson's Astro Tops??

Old 06-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thompson's Astro Tops??

Anyone using one? I'm considering it because it seems easier to handle one top versus two, and it still fits behind the seats. Pros? Cons?

http://www.astrotops.com/68_82tops.html

Old 06-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Thompson's Astro Tops?? (Master Ho)

I have heard some negative feedback on the tops for C-3's........However by buddie loves his on his C-4
Old 06-19-2003, 09:24 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

My 74 has had an Astro top for 4 years. The quality is marginal at best, sloppy glue for fasteners, rubber seals dont seal tight. I still use it for late fall and winter driving, it comes off in May and goes on in Oct. Maybe they have improved the quality over the last few years, as they have raised their prices. The top will not store behing the seats if you have the seats all the way back. The picture is a 74 with the Astro top.
Ed

[Modified by ED DINAPOLI, 2:44 PM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they perfect? No. If you want a top that is much less expensive than glass and looks good then it is a good choice. The way the rear fastens is not great and I question if the weatherstrip would hold in rain. That said, I have one for my car and I love the look of it and have never had a problem with it (I never intentionally drive in the rain). I think it was worth the ~$300 that I paid for several years back. Now, last year I found a set of glass tops cheap so I am using those now. I was going to list the Astro top in the for sale section but I have not done so yet. If you are interested in purchasing mine I'm sure I can let it go for less than new retail, just email if interested.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:06 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

I have one also. I agree with the others that it is not the best in the world, but works. You can adjust the weatherstripping, but I found I needed to adjust the side window to get a good seal with the weatherstripping. Needed to do this for my regular t-tops and monnroofs as well as I did not have a good seal once I replace all the weatherstripping. I bought a set of moonroofs and once they are painted the Astro top goes back into the box.
Roger
Old 06-19-2003, 11:11 AM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the smoked color. I looked at a 75 with a for sale sign the other night. It had the bronse color and looked really cheesy. The car turned out to be in tough shape with extensive damage front and rear. The bronse top just topped it off. TPOS Use it for convenience but keep those t tops.

Get notified of new replies

To Thompson's Astro Tops??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thompson's Astro Tops??