C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:36 PM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need diagnosis

Hello,

As I detailed in an earlier post, I broke something doing a burnout. When the clutch is out, even in neutral, a horrible "clunk" comes from the clutch or transmission area. When I push the clutch in, the clunk fades away over about 2 seconds.

So last night I dropped the transmission -- which was fairly painless -- but now I need to know what to do. When I got the transmission out, I noticed that the throwout bearing was not seated in the clutch fork properly, but I'm not sure if this was caused by me wiggling the transmission out or if it happened when I did the burnout. The bearing itself seems to be in pristine condition.

So I need to know what to do. Transmission repair is apparently quite costly and I can't even locate a shop locally. I'm not about to seat the throwout bearing and put everything back together just to see if that fixes it -- unless I know that was the problem. It was fun pulling the tranny out, but not so fun that I want to do it again.

So forum members: what would you do in my situation?

Thanks for the help so far. This forum has saved me countless hours and dollars. :cheers:
Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Need diagnosis (VetticusSupersonicus)

Pull the side plate off and look for broken gears on the input or cluster.

Quick Reply: Need diagnosis