C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me?

What are each of the connections on the alternator for: Bat, F, S.

Bat I'm sure goes to the + terminal on the battery. Field, I think, goes to the voltage regulator, for external mounted regulators. The voltage supplied to the Field connection controls the current output of the alternator :confused:

Stator, I have no idea of what it does or connects to.

Thanks in advance! :seeya :thumbs:
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me? (shotgun_000)

I think you got the "batt" connection right. According to my manual, the "field" wire is used to initially energize the alternator. I'm not clear on how though. I'll check my wiring diagram when I get home. I've seen some tips on putting a switch in that wire to gain a few extra ponies at the strip. It mentioned that you would have to leave the switch in the off position BEFORE starting the car. To re-energize the alt you can flip the switch on with the car running. Don't know if that helps.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:36 PM
HWY 9 - Z06
Advanced

Default Re: O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me? (shotgun_000)

Bat goes ends up at hot lead on the starter solenoid, which in turn charges the battery, goes through the ammeter first. F is the Field connection, when you start the car it momentarily "flashes" the field( hits it with 12 V) which initiated charging. if you dont flash the field the alternator will not charge. and the S i believe is Sense or sensor, this is the input to the voltage regulator that determines the rate of charge, when it sees higher than set point(14volts approx), charging slows down, when lower(ie, load on the system) it charges with more current. hope that answers your question.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:23 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

One thing I forgot to mention is that this is just alternators in general. It doesn't have to be corvette specific.

I'm helping a friend rewire his 73 Ford truck, and these connections are confusing me a bit.

I figured though, that the principal of operation for an alternator would be similar for any car.

Get notified of new replies

To O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me?

Quick Reply: O/T Could someone explain alternator connections to me?