C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering your Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 AM
69L68
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trailering your Corvette?

I'm getting a Motorhome and trying to get some options on bringing my vette along. Does anyone have any input? I hear trailers at RV parks are a problem. Does anyone use a dolly?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Trailering your Corvette? (69L68)

I've heard lotsa bad stuff bout those 2-wheel dollies. Even heard of the vehicle coming unglued from one and takin off for a un-controlled joyride. I don't know about you but I would hate to see my vette rollin down the road without me behind the wheel!! My dad uses a tow bar for his motorhome and tracker. You prolly dont want to do that either. If it was me it would hafta be a trailer. I could see where it would be a pain in the butt to put it somewhwere convenient, but, if you wanna take your vette, do it.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have heard the same stories about the dollies.I would go with the trailer.Can you call ahead to camp grounds to see about trailer parking?I would think the larger KOA type places would haveit.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:39 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Steve,
I think the trailer idea is best. At least you can back them up if you have to.
I have a 32' R/V and bought a car trailer last year and really like it. Most campgrounds have pull throughs which makes it real easy. The dolly is almost if not impossible to back up.
Also with a trailer all wheels are off the ground and you don't have to worry about transmissions or anything. Good luck with your decision. :cheers:
Old 06-09-2003, 05:28 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Don't take a risk with the two wheel dolly.

A trailer is the best way to go.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:12 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Trailering your Corvette? (bamavettes)

Thought I had heard draging the rear wheels was bad. Deffinetly putting extra wear on the rear bearings and differential. And a no no for auto trannies.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Trailering your Corvette? (LAvetteman)

I agree with everyone that trailering is the best option, but not without any kind of braking system on the trailer to assist you in stopping. I don't know about the rental trailers, but maybe they have tongue force actuated brakes on them. Stick a 3500lb vette on a trailer behind you without them and your stopping distance is probably at least double.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:32 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Trailering your Corvette? (bgrice)

I don't have an rv but I bought an enclosed trailer for my vettes when trailering is needed. I can use it as a portable garage when traveling also. It gives me a little sence of security to be able to lock it up at night or when ever I can't be around it.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:35 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Here are my opinions.

As a fellow RV camper (well, pop-up trailer that is) some RV parks don't have room for a full size RV and a full size trailer. Some do, some don't, and they charge by the lot size. It depends how big your rig is.

2nd - don't use a dolly. They suck. I had one to tow a Chevy Monza cross country once. It swayed, moved, bucked and was a pain in the azz. Also the Monza moved up and down (front springs and shocks) so much that the oil pan bottomed out on the dolly. Oil pan flattened out, hit the pump pickup, pump pickup fell off in oil pan - pain in the azz.

I would go flatbed trailer or enclosed trailer if you have a big enough rig. If you go to a trailer, just find a bigger RV park :D

[Modified by BSeery, 9:37 PM 6/9/2003]
Old 06-10-2003, 07:52 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Trailering your Corvette? (bgrice)

:iagree: with bgrice, I kind of took that for granted that brakes would be wanted on it. I have electric brakes on mine and they are great. It would be a pain without them even on the RV. I said campgrounds have pull throughs sorry most RV parks have pull throughs and can be reserved. I called and reserved a 75' when I went to Florida in March. You can find out info on-line about most of the campgrounds in whatever area you are going to. If you need any websites let me know and I'll send them.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:41 PM
69L68
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't picked up the MH yet. Its a 40' Gulfstream. So with a trailer there is alot of wheel estate pulling into an RV park. We were going to use our Suburban on the first trip. Those of you with trailers, do you have problems with the doors hitting the trailer wheel wells?

Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 08:07 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Steve, I don't have any problems with my doors or my wifes grand am. I measured 6" fender height above the floor. I'm giving you a picture too
Old 06-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Steve,

Recently I had a mechanic pick up my vette to rebuilt the front end and install the new fiberglass rear monospring and he hauled it off with a U-haul trailer. He had an enclosed trailer, but his electric brakes were not working right, so he rented the one below. It really was not too bad of a trailer if you can rent one in your area like it. It had fenders that folded outward to allow the doors to open and a webbed strap that wrapped around the front wheels on each side. The only problem is the rear where it is impossible to put an *X* pattern with any ratchet straps as the tire carrier impeeds on doing that. He... like many others just strap it straight down on each side. I've always used an independent strap to the chassis of the car for a safety factor.

And here's my race car trailer I just sold. No problems at all with door clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering your Corvette?

Quick Reply: Trailering your Corvette?