C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure line tip/trick.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pressure line tip/trick.

Was trying put my plastic line back in the fitting in the block but the small metal insert need to be opened up a little to fit the line through. I had pressed on a small rod and was trying to get it off when it flew across the workbench and out of sight. :mad F! I wanted to fire up my car and was not going to do it without my oil pressure qauge. Well after I was finished :cuss: my head off, I decided to figure something out. Well best I could come with was using part of a rubber vac port cap to seal it off. I cut off a piece about 1/8" long and used it in place off the metal fitting. Works geat! I used to get a very small amount of oil puddling around the top of it but now there is no sign of oil what so ever.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:30 PM
randy72
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (Fevre)

Plastic oil lines are bad news. My brother had one either break, melt or get cut at the big end of Lapeer Dragway two summers ago. Fire and complete loss of oil pressure at 5,000 RPM/ 100 MPH is not good. He got new paint and I got what was left of his engine...Recommend changing to copper ASAP.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (randy72)

Copper is worse than plastic. It has a very high fatigue to vibration. Copper will crack and break faster than plastic. The best would be a braided line. I'm still running plastic but should switch to a braided line for safety
Old 06-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (Gordonm)

Copper is worse than plastic. It has a very high fatigue to vibration. Copper will crack and break faster than plastic. The best would be a braided line. I'm still running plastic but should switch to a braided line for safety
Braided line is what I am thinking too.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

:iagree: Out in Arizona, we have a house cooling device known as a "swamp cooler'. It cycles water through pads and a blower forces air throw the moist pads creating cooling by evaporation. (extremely efficient and cheap to operate with our humidity levels near zero). Water is feed generally through 1/4 inch copper. That lasts one season before switching to plastic. Never made a full season without replacing the copper due to some sort of failure.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Ki m Le
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (Fevre)

I couldn't deal with it any more, so I converted my 72 to electric one from the later model!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I haven't seen SS braided line & fittings that small. The fitting would be 2AN for a 1/8 in line.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (1970 Stingray)

I haven't seen SS braided line & fittings that small. The fitting would be 2AN for a 1/8 in line.
Summit sells them in 3 lengths.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:01 AM
randy72
Drifting

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (Robert N)

OK guys, I agree that the braided is probably the safest way to go, but I seem to be in the minority on copper over plastic. I also agree that for cracks due to vibration, the plastic is probably better. However, I've seen a lot more lines (not just oil pressure) that were cut, melted or chafed through (typically fairly quick failures) than were cracked from lack of vibration durability (usually a long term failure)....Thoughts?
Not looking to start a flame war here, I'm seriously trying to understand.

(spelling error fixed)

[Modified by randy72, 7:02 AM 6/11/2003]
Old 06-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Spoke a little too soon on the leak, have a little pool of oil again. Going to try to tighten it a touch more to see if that helps. Not ready to tear the car apart yet again si I am hoping I can keep it to minimum
Old 06-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok, kick me and call me stupid but I couldn't find a 2AN, 1/8 SS braided hose at Summit? Auto meter makes a "kit" but it changes the hose diameter to 3/16", and for $30....don't know if it's worth it. I like the idea of slipping a larger diameter vacuum hose over the 1/8 to control any ruptures. Will increasing to a 3/16" hose affect the pressure reading? :confused:
Old 06-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oil pressure line tip/trick. (1970 Stingray)

Ok, kick me and call me stupid but I couldn't find a 2AN, 1/8 SS braided hose at Summit? Auto meter makes a "kit" but it changes the hose diameter to 3/16", and for $30....don't know if it's worth it. I like the idea of slipping a larger diameter vacuum hose over the 1/8 to control any ruptures. Will increasing to a 3/16" hose affect the pressure reading? :confused:
Nope, gotta kick me. The braided line IS 3/16. Given the 1/16 increase in size, I don't see any impact on pressure being much if any, but TTT for a better answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure line tip/trick.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure line tip/trick.