C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who here did their own restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 09:38 PM
ZiVvmO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who here did their own restoration?

i was just wondering who has done their own resto (as opposed to paying someone else) and wondering further what kind of cost and time investments went into said restorations.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (ZiVvmO)

I have done my own frame off resto with plenty of modifications along the way. I did pay someone else to paint the vette though. I have been at it for over 2 years. It has been at Mikes house the painter for over a year and will be coming home next Sunday....finished or not...
Cost is unknown at the time but over 15,000 to include the paint job.
I am getting to old for this stuff for sure..Just got back from the power tour though and driving that 93 supercharged vette makes all my work worth while. Can't wait to get the 78 rolling.
Neil in Tenn
Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (Nomad78SA)

I did and am doing mine. 10K in the first one. Will probably be around 15 in each of the next two.

-Justin
Old 06-08-2003, 11:03 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put a lot of time and money into my car. I have done it because I enjoy it not because I want a return on the time and money spent. You have to be wary of your intentions. If you want something to play with, to take apart, and put back together, to spend countless hours in, under, around and through then get a car and restore it. Lots of satisfaction and fun if that is what you are into.

If you want an investment forget it. There are a lot easier ways to make money. Most restorations do not bring back but a fraction of the money invested let alone the time. If you are paying someone for the work you have no chance of recovering what you put in it.

The best investments are cars that have been completely and professionally done. They look it and they can be purchased for a fraction of what the owner has already paid. Then you can enjoy the car for a while and if lucky sell it for close to what you paid for it but still enjoy driving it.

Buy the most and best car you can afford unless you are like some of us who just enjoy tinkering with these beasts.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

I originally restored mine back in 92 with new interior, drive line, suspension, paint, etc. All done in my garage by me. No one else has worked on it since I have owned it. I have continued to modify and restify over time including two additional engines ( a 454 HO crate and the current ZL1), different rearends and different transmissions. I have accumulated over 125,000 miles since the original restoration. I have all the receipts but have never added up the total investment. Although I know I have saved money by doing the work myself, that was not the motivation. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of working on and driving my 71.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:10 PM
ZiVvmO
Melting Slicks

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (BUGGSY1970)

really my purpose for asking is just for comparitive between having someone do it, as to do it yourself.

mine, having a third party do the resto was in the 18k vicinity and took 2 years. but i couldnt be more happy with the finished product. :yesnod:
Old 06-08-2003, 11:13 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I did my own frame on resto. 8 years and counting. :yesnod:
Old 06-08-2003, 11:57 PM
BAD 99
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (killain)

I did my own frame on resto. 8 years and counting. :yesnod:
:eek:

i will start mine , this summer , i hope to do it all,and in 2-3 years
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

It took me just over a tear to do mine. See my link in my sig.

Bob
Old 06-09-2003, 12:52 AM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04
Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (BeachinVette)

Bob - great pics and great work!

I'm at this point after about six months and $6k:

Old 06-09-2003, 12:59 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

really my purpose for asking is just for comparitive between having someone do it, as to do it yourself.

mine, having a third party do the resto was in the 18k vicinity and took 2 years. but i couldnt be more happy with the finished product. :yesnod:
Like BUGGSY1970 said: "I have put a lot of time and money into my car. I have done it because I enjoy it not because I want a return on the time and money spent. You have to be wary of your intentions. If you want something to play with, to take apart, and put back together, to spend countless hours in, under, around and through then get a car and restore it. Lots of satisfaction and fun if that is what you are into.

If you want an investment forget it. ......"

If you don't want to do most of the work yourself, then you are MUCH better off just purchasing the car you want. Restoring the car yourself, and especially farming most of the restoration out, is going to cost more than just purchasing the car you want. I'm restoring mine because I want to take it apart, and I want to put it back together, for my own enjoyment. Parts alone are more than the car is worth.

This is not an investment or a business with me, it is a hobby. Nothing "better" or "worse" about either approach. If you are doing this an investment, your actions should be to make only those repairs and modifications that will produce a profit. (Minimize expenses while maximizing profits.)

If you are doing this as a hobby, costs (especially your time), are of little concern - it is a hobby. But as a hobby, you can NEVER expect to get "paid" for all the labor hours you have spent. As a hobby you can "putter around", spending countless hours making a part "just right". As a business, you are expected to slap it together and press on to the next job.

:)
Old 06-09-2003, 05:48 AM
keith72
Instructor

We've been working on ours (it will be my son's) a little over a year. Not a restoration, just a rebuild back to a daily driver. Got about $6K in it so far, counting 2500 purchase price. Should have about 10-12K when we finish in the winter. Pics are on our website.

Its been fun.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:02 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I did every part of my restification myself except the machine work on the block :smash: I stoped keeping track of cost at around 9500.00...

Mike :cheers:

[Modified by yellow 72, 9:43 AM 6/9/2003]
Old 06-09-2003, 07:42 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (yellow 72)

Have done most of the work myself..granted, having only 54k miles on it helps too..lol. Just trying the keep the vette well maintained..hasnt seen a day of rain since I have owned it. 2nd owner here..so hope to keep it nice and maintain as we both grow old together! :lol:
Old 06-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (81' Corvette Guy)

I did mine, in a 2 car garage.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (Paul 75 L82)

Working on mine, progress is slow.. :(
Old 06-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Daniels
Advanced

I'm doing the frame off restoration together with a friend. You definitly need somone to assist you, it makes fun, it's handy and the time just flyes. So far we've worked about 7 weekends, disassembled the whole car (from early in the morning till late in the night) Sandblasted the frame, suspension parts, etc. Spray painted everything and started assembling everything together.

There's no bolt, plate or sheetmetal that we haven't dissasembled and blasted. It makes fun and you know at the end what you have. It's your call at the end if you want to exchange parts or leave them as they are.

So far, the bill is getting closer to the 10K and theres still all painting and interior to be done... good luck

Get notified of new replies

To who here did their own restoration?

Old 06-09-2003, 09:49 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (BeachinVette)

It took me just over a tear to do mine.
I've shed a few tears too!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

rhaving a third party do the resto was in the 18k vicinity and took 2 years.
I'm glad it worked out. How about giving us an idea of the scope of work - what exactly got done for the 18k? I'm sure it was more than paint and body work, right?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:46 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: who here did their own restoration? (mayberg)

All time and little money for me. I've restored or made from scratch many of
the parts in my restoration. I'm in about 2 years (one year with good effort)
and about $7000 including original purchase of 75 for $4500 and 70 chassis for $1200.

I'd like to keep it under $10000 total - but the paint may tips the scales.

:seeya

Quick Reply: who here did their own restoration?