C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 03:36 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade Help !!!

Hello All,

I am considering upgrading the brakes on my 69. I am looking at Baer, SSBC, and Willwood. Can any of you who have upgraded provide some input. Also I am running larger 16" wheels and would appreciate any thoughts on going with larger rotors up front. Thanks for the advise.

Moss
Old 06-07-2003, 05:00 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (ScubaJKD)

I'm looking for a brake upgrade too.

If you search there is one forum member that completed the brackets for Dynalite Billets (he did the fronts and there is a hot rod shop heidts (sp) that sells the rear bracket). Last time I checked, the same guy is working on the 6 piston I believe Billet Superlite 6s. Haven't heard anything on this in a while...

Another member was looking into the big companies i.e. Bear, Alcon, etc and was talking prices of $8K and up.

If anyone has actually accomplished this at a reasonable price I'm interested.

Heck I'm interested if someone has a solution that dumps the factory spindle, hub, rotor and caliper. The C3 needs a longer spindle to fix cornering issues, needs a two piece rotor and I'd like a big rotor with beefy billet calipers.

EDIT: OK .... not knowing the dimension what would be the issues associated with changing from a C3 to a C5 spindle? How hard would it be to adapt the C5 control arms and just replace everything from the control arm mounts out with C5 gear?

Any thoughts?

Ryan

[Modified by reidry, 10:02 PM 6/7/2003]
Old 06-07-2003, 07:02 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (reidry)

That would be me.

I have brackets available for stock rotors to use Wilwood 6 piston superlights.
The bracket is designed and prototyped, but does not fit under stock wheels so I can't test it.
They are a perfect match for a pair of dynalites on the back. Very good brake balance. Running stock brakes in the back is a bad idea.

I've been making the brackets out of Stainless Steel by hand.

I can make brackets for bigger rotors but I need hardware to measure and test fit.

There is very little call for this stuff so I'm not about to tool up and make a bunch, also everyone wants something different.

Oh btw it seems everyone wants me to work for free, they're willing to spend $1000 on calipers but balk when I want something for 20 hours of work, Go figure.

If you search there is one forum member that completed the brackets for Dynalite Billets (he did the fronts and there is a hot rod shop heidts (sp) that sells the rear bracket). Last time I checked, the same guy is working on the 6 piston I believe Billet Superlite 6s. Haven't heard anything on this in a while...
Old 06-07-2003, 07:31 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (427V8)

Sorry about that 427V8 .. I was at work and I couldn't remember who it was and was too lazy to hit the search button.

Thanks for chiming in...

Ryan
Old 06-07-2003, 09:17 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have stock stainless calipers, stainless flex lines, no proportioning valve and a hydraboost from a 94 one ton dually and my brakes are STRONG. I bought my stainless sleeved calipers for about $150 CDN each and the hydraboost in mint condition for $50 CDN. I never have to worry about running out of brakes with this setup. No special calipers or pricy parts.
Go hydraboost and your brakes will never feel weak again.
I am not pushing a system just the idea.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (norvalwilhelm)

Could look at VBPs products
Old 06-07-2003, 09:37 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!!

Norval and Guru are absolutely correct ....

Except that I'm looking to Race, just looked into running Sebring. Bigger brakes do well under this type of stress.

If you want to go street only I'd say the best bet would be SS O-ring calipers, painted w/ POR15 plus the Hydroboost setup.

Ryan
Old 06-08-2003, 12:19 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (reidry)

If you want C-5 performance BUY A C-5!! If you want to improve what you have you need better brake fluid, air ducted to the center of the front rotor, better pads, insulated brake pistons (I am experimenting with o-ring pistons this season), better rubber (tires) and the MOST IMPORTANT thing "big ballz".
...redvetracr

PS: I go in just as deep and come out just as hard as the guys with 6-piston GN Wilwoods.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:53 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (redvetracr)

Thanks for all the input can someone explain the hydroboost system to me ? What is it, what does it replace, how does it work etc. Thanks.

Moss
Old 06-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

The hydroboost systems that we market are direct bolt in systems designed to replace your current vacuum assist brake booster or upgrade from manual to power. The massive factory rotors and calipers do not acheive their full potential in stock form as they do not receive adequate line pressures from the stock brake booster. You would simply unbolt the factory brake booster and install the hydroboost directly in its place, then install the braided stainless replacement power steering lines to "power up" the assist unit - then BANG! Mega brakes!

Ask some of the other forum members as to the quality and potency of our trick assist systems! GordonM has recently posted that you need to watch and make sure that you don't kiss the steering wheel, and that he has to peel his eyeballs off the windshield. Many road racers use our systems with fantastic results, only installing some air ducting to keep the brakes a bit cooler from the extreme braking - a testament to how effective the stock design brakes can be under race situations when used in conjunction with our systems.

click here to see what the others on the forum say about our systems: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...177#1544128177

Or, do a search for hydroboost or Hydratech... :yesnod:

Paul - :steering:
www.hydroboost.com

Stop on a dime and get 2 nickles change!

[Modified by Hydratech Braking, 12:02 PM 6/8/2003]
Old 06-08-2003, 12:03 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (Hydratech Braking)

Paul at Hydroboost is DA MAN! If you want serious breaking power look into the hydratech system.
Here is a "DIY" installation to get a better understanding if the system. https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=190&TopicID=3

cheers
chad

[Modified by 71'AirStrike, 2:04 PM 6/8/2003]
Old 06-08-2003, 12:27 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

I am right in the middle of installing the Steeroids rack and pinion power steering kits. Any thought on how this might effect a Hydratech braking system or modifiy installation ? Thanks

Moss
Old 06-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

The hydraulic brake assist is simply part of the ps high side line flow circuit, therefore when not braking fluid just flows through it as if it was part of the high side ps line. When braking is needed, the assist unit simply commands an increase in ps pump pressure, just like the steering would, and uses it to supply some really nice clean and potent brake assist. The bonus here is that it could care less what kind of vacuum levels the engine is producing.

The installation before, during, or after Steeroids installation is very straightforward, and goes together quite nicely / cleanly. You would simply take the Steeroids supplied ps line and put it on the shelf, utilizing our lineset instead.

www.hydroboost.com

Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Hey,
I searched and searched for a killer upgrade for my '74. I finally went with AEROSPACE COMPONENTS. There customer service rocked, no problems they were there. I bought the new trailer arm offset from Ecklers, they weren't sure what would have changed in the measurement so I sent them the arm. They fitted the rear calipers and rotors, the other side fit like a charm. Now I just ordered the Hydratech Braking Systems, this vette will go as fast as it can stop! well see the vette should be done soon!

Old 06-08-2003, 01:07 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Just ordered the complete kit Paul. Thanks for the advise.

Moss
Old 06-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Evilsmf - Can you say BRUTAL BRAKING !? :eek:

The Aerospace stuff combined with our hydraulic brake assist conversion is going to be just out and out OUTRAGEOUS ! Man - talk about trick!

What have you got going with the rest of the car? I can only imagine! I have seen one pic of it -
Stats please :yesnod:

Scuba - thanks for your order, we will be processing it tomorrow - you're gonna love it!

www.hydroboost.com

[Modified by Hydratech Braking, 1:41 PM 6/8/2003]
Old 06-08-2003, 03:52 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (evilsmf)

Hey,
I searched and searched for a killer upgrade for my '74. I finally went with AEROSPACE COMPONENTS. There customer service rocked, no problems they were there. I bought the new trailer arm offset from Ecklers, they weren't sure what would have changed in the measurement so I sent them the arm. They fitted the rear calipers and rotors, the other side fit like a charm. Now I just ordered the Hydratech Braking Systems, this vette will go as fast as it can stop! well see the vette should be done soon!

MORE INFO PLEASE!!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Upgrade Help !!!

Old 06-08-2003, 04:47 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (evilsmf)

Hey,

Dude, you gotta start posting more!!!! You are a senior member with only 29 posts and I think alot of us are very interested in what you are doing with your car.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (79VetteMike)

Gee - don't I feel silly :confused: If you go to Evils info page, you find that his nasty little beastie has a web page of its own - check it out: http://www.evilsmf.com :thumbs:

Paul-
Old 06-08-2003, 09:24 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Help !!! (79VetteMike)

Hey,
Thanks for the inquiry on my vette. I should post more often on various topics but I'm not the biggest writer on the net. go figure. I will post more when I get my vette back. Then ill have something to say. The evil vette has been a labor of love and lots of cash for over a year and a half. I not a mechanic don't even try to fool my self. I'm not rich but I know my limitations so the work has been professionally done. I love classic cars but don't have time, tools space or knowledge on the subject. I'm a perfectionist so every thing has to be just right, its best that I don't work on it or nothing would really get done. I'm better at the ideas of what custom work should get done, what looks like, quality parts, and the performance that a evil vette should have and trying to tie it all in to a unique mean ride.

Believe me when its done ill share, then I will know what I am dealing with. As far as the stats on it since there are so many new parts that have all been done at once it will take some time to review the performance of the vehicle. This is my first totally modified car and I'm new to the Supercharger!!!..I think I will have to relearn how to drive this beast.

evilsmf.com is under construction and basically it sucks. I am not a web designer obviously. It has to be updated but that wont happen till the vette is done. I'm looking for a web designer to make it rock!

Thanks,
Wayne Marsala :reddevil

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade Help !!!