C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 04:20 AM
vett70
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brakes

Just got around to installing rebuilt T-Arm assemblies that I purchased last year from a place that went out of business (oh boy:rolleyes: ). SS parking brakes are installed but it looks like the little spring that attaches to the shoe (one upper and one lower) has disconnected...all 4 of them.

Are these return springs? What's the best way to reinstall them?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:38 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brakes (vett70)

Vette70,
Yes they are return springs and they will need to be reattached. Think I used a pair of needlenose to do mine, but that was last summer so I not real sure.
www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/rearend.html
Good luck, they can be a real PITA!!! :smash:

YBNormal...drive a vette
Old 05-26-2003, 04:29 AM
vett70
Advanced

What about those "tools" they sell in the catalogues? It looks like a cheap screwdriver with a notch ground into t. Has anyone tried using one of these?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:25 PM
riorata
Instructor

The springs have to be installed. Redid the parking brakes on "the other woman" in Feb. Real PITA! It can be done with needle nose, a lot time and even more patience! Next time I will try a using the spring tool. Wish I tried it the last time.

BTW when setting the brakes up I followed the instructions in my book exactly and they came out perfect. 13 clicks and they locked.

Back in the USA again :cheers:

River Rat

[Modified by riorata, 5:33 PM 5/27/2003]
Old 06-02-2003, 04:15 AM
vett70
Advanced

Default Re: Parking Brakes (riorata)

OK, Riorata, Thanks. BTW...what books was that? :confused:
Old 06-02-2003, 06:48 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

So, you're not looking to install the coil spring that holds the shoe to the backing plate; you're working on the return springs that pull the two shoes together, RIGHT?

If so, the "tool" does help. I used it on mine and putting the return springs on was a snap. I'd give you mine, but I'm afraid I broke it (using it for something it was NOT intended for :rolleyes: ), but, if you want one quick, they're easy to create using a regular screw driver and a file. The notches in the tip of the screw driver hold the end of the spring and give you pretty good leverage to pop it into place.

Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Jeffski
Instructor

vett70

Yes they are return springs, make sure when you get them re-attached that they are hooked completely. They will go in the hole but you have to force them down to make sure that they completely latch. If not you will end up with the same thing again. Needle nose or tool, not much difference to me.
Good Luck

Jeff :smash:
Old 06-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brakes (Jeffski)

The "top" and "bottom" springs are shoe return springs... as opposed to right & left springs which are shoe retaining springs. They all have to be installed properly.

On the top/bottom springs, I started out using needle nose pliers around 1974.... they do work, but the spring slips off pretty easily. After seeing that nifty tool advertised, I sacrificed one of my old rounded off small screwdrivers and cut a "V" in the end, and reduced the install time dramatically. Since I do this work professionally, the notched screwdriver has paid off handsomly.

I still use (very) small needle nose pliers for the right/left springs.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:09 PM
riorata
Instructor

Actually in this case I used my Haynes 1968-82 Corvette. It was dead on.

Shoot me a mail if you want.

:cheers:
Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Parking Brakes (Tom454)

[QUOTE]The "top" and "bottom" springs are shoe return springs... as opposed to right & left springs which are shoe retaining springs. They all have to be installed properly.

Are you saying that the little springs that hold the shoes on are particular to the shoes?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brakes (79VetteMike)

The small coil springs that have "cup" retainers & pins are used to retain the shoes against the backing plate. They are interchangeable with each other.

The spring for the top position has two separate sets of coils as opposed to the bottom spring with one coil. These function as shoe return springs... to pull the shoes back away from the rotor when the brake is released.

The two retaining springs must be installed in their correct position(s), the top spring must be installed at the top, the bottom spring must be installed at the bottom.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brakes

Quick Reply: Parking Brakes