C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :(

Old 05-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :(

Last night i was trying to leave and i get in the car and turn the key and all i get is the motor turning over. It just would not fire. :bb Then I just waited a min or two and it fired right up. On the way home the car would sometimes sputter and jerk at low rpms. What are some things that I can check or replace that might solve my problem? :cry :mad
Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK

What are you running as far as your ignition system?

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 05-18-2003, 01:23 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK (73 LS-4)

I would check all your ground connections. There should be one from the battery the frame and one from the engine to the frame.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK (73 LS-4)

A basic MSD distributer and coil with MSD wires they were put on in 1997. Could the wires be bad? AC DELCO RT45 plugs a year old
Old 05-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK (Corvettelvr73)

Maybe she didnt like your date :hat
Old 05-18-2003, 03:35 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Ignition Module

Maybe it's a bad ignition module. The problem with an ignition module is that you won't know it's bad until you get the motor warmed up. Usually an ignition module will act fine with a cold motor but when you shut it down on a hot motor and try to start it up again it won't start.

Just something to check.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:42 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :( (Corvettelvr73)

Drive around locally until the tank is almost empty. Go to the gas station and put in a bottle of carb cleaner/water remover and fill the tank. Then drive around locally until that tank is almost empty and refill. If that doesn't work, try replacing the fuel filter. This will ensure the carb is clean (no deposits) and any water in your water will be removed. I would change the fuel filter regardless if you haven't in a while. Once the engine is getting plenty of clean gas, then it is an ignition problem....
Old 05-18-2003, 11:44 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT

Enough about the car, tell us about the date!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:05 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK (Corvettelvr73)

It could be the plug wires. I had something similar happen to my truck. Everytime it was under any sort of load (going over hills, accelerating, etc.) it would sputter violently. I replaced the plugs, but that didn't help. The wires looked fine, but I decided to replace them anyway. Ran like new.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT (ndirishr1)

The date was great beautiful girl and great personality. Went for dinner and back to her place for a movie. It just was VERY IMBARASSING when the car wouldnt crank when I was trying to go home. Especially since she has a FORD family. :bb :cry
Old 05-19-2003, 03:27 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT (Corvettelvr73)

The date was great beautiful girl and great personality. Went for dinner and back to her place for a movie. It just was VERY IMBARASSING when the car wouldnt crank when I was trying to go home. Especially since she has a FORD family. :bb :cry

So I guess that means you'll be driving a Mustang in 9 months time, eh :thumbs:
Old 05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
BB73Chris
Instructor

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT (Corvettelvr73)

ouch... so close... then that last part :(
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
bbeck
Pro

I had a similar problem when I first started driving my car. It would roll over, and fire, but wouldn't stay running. Ended up being a selenoid. Oh well, more time to have fun with the date. Her parents always knew when I showed up or left though, as they would hear my car. It rumble good enough to wake them up. :reddevil :)
Old 05-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default :( (Corvettelvr73)

I know, I know! It's Murphy's Law! Since it was an important date, something was bound to go wrong... :D Good thing you weren't on your way to pick up that gagillion dollar lotto jackpot! :yesnod:

Hans
Old 05-19-2003, 11:27 PM
tippi58
Racer

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK

Sounds like some crap in the carb needles.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 05-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :( (Corvettelvr73)

tighten up all electrical connections in the ignition system, especially on the alternator.......when i had a similar problem this solved it.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Default WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM

Last night I started to check the spark plugs. The plugs have been in there for a little less than a year with about 20 K miles on them. 6 out of the 8 were bridged shut and they had heavy carbon build up. The other 2 were in bad shape too. I cleaned and gapped them to 0.45 and I think it solved my problem. Is this a normal amount of time for the plugs to get this bad? OH YEAH I will never become a FORD guy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :(

Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM (Corvettelvr73)

that doesn't sound right about the plugs?? it almost sounds like they aren't hot enough? try replacing them with R42s...see what happens. :thumbs:
Old 05-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

She's jealous that you would DARE try to have any other woman.. you have to get rid of the girl and crawl on your hands and knees and ask forgiveness. :nono:
Old 05-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like build-up from weak guide seals. If it's not smoking on startup and oil usage is minimal, don't worry about it yet and just check them more often. Positve guide seals typically solve this.

Hans

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WENT ON A DATE LAST NIGHT AND THE VETTE WOULDNT CRANK WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM :(