C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can it be?

I have seen on this forum young, and I mean 16-17 year olds who own vettes. Now I know when I was that young, I could never afford the car or the insurance. More power to them, but it just don't seem right somehow. J/K, I wish I could have gotten one when I was that young. Would have a REAL sweet ride by now. With all do respect and only if they want to answer, to the youngsters, did Mom and Dad help? :flag
Old 05-16-2003, 01:28 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: How can it be? (greatgonzoglenn)

Oh never mind this reply......I'm 55 and you wouldnt care anyway. :seeya
Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: How can it be? (tnt76vette)

Parents with too many dollars and not enough sense.

I had to earn each and every car I've had. I don't mean earn by getting a "B" in English, I mean work hard and pay for car payments, insurance, gas, maintenance and repairs.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:54 AM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

I got my Corvette when I was eighteen. It wasn't very expensive compared to a lot of the other cars on the forum -- $12K CDN or so -- but I paid every nickel myself, after working as a computer programmer for three years off and on. (I got my first programming job when I was fifteen.) It would be a cold day in Hell before my parents would buy me a Corvette, that's for sure. As far as insuring it goes, we have public insurance here and it isn't too bad: about $2500 per annum for me.

When you are as focused on getting a Corvette as I was, not much can stand in your way. And it was completely worth it.

Now the only trouble is keeping it running. :eek: :D

Cheers :cheers:
Old 05-16-2003, 02:55 AM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Default Re: How can it be? (VetticusSupersonicus)

While we're at it, here is a picture of my pride and joy, since I don't think I've ever shown it on this forum:

Old 05-16-2003, 03:45 AM
AZ76
Instructor

I bought mine when I was 19, 21 now, completly paid in full by me. I actually went against my parents and bought it. As long as you have a decent job, paying for it wasnt too hard, and until you put too much cash into it you can get away with just liability for insurance...By the way...now my parents think the car is awesome.

-J
Old 05-16-2003, 04:36 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

greatgonzoglenn,

"..... when I was that young, I could never afford the car ....."

If your question relates to the C3, then many years are affordable used cars.
If your question refers to later models, I would not expect to see many 16/17 year olds with new C5s. The high production numbers of the C3 benefits its afordability today.

Twenty years ago the C4s were on the horizon, these were the least affordable Corvettes relative to percentage of family income. Reference to this post I put on the C6 forum some time back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=547192

I think it is great that so many young folks are interested in Corvettes, that is what will keeps the car alive. :)
Old 05-16-2003, 05:31 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm 55 now but I had my first Vette at the age of 18, and no help from MOMMY OR DADDY! I worked for it. I think you need to give these younger members some credit instead of insult. I always resented the fact everybody thought that's how I got mine. Sorry just my opinion. May the Vette be with you :cheers:
Old 05-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I was 16 when I got my first vette, my brother bought it for me because he is awesome! I still have the car at 32 and plant o keep it untill I need a nurse to help me get in it. When I was about 18 a kid I went to school with had a Corvette and killed himself in it by driving too fast. I agree that people in general appreciate things that they have to work for. I also think everyone should have a Corvette
Old 05-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Bought mine at 20 with MY money. Dreamed about one since ~14-15. Maintain/upgrade with MY money. I'm 22 and (as my name suggests) working as a cook. If I can do it on a cook's pay, anyone can. Just takes a little dedication.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How can it be? (Cookwithvette)

My dad bought ours 3 monthes before I was born. I didn't pay for it but I have put a lot of work into and will continue to do so.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:52 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Default Re: How can it be? (guppie)

Whoa guppie. I never insulted them. I, too, think it is great that they have their minds set on a corvette. If anything, I'm more jelous, than insulting. Please read my post again, but at those ages, it USUALLY takes help from Mom and Dad. I give thumbs up to ANYBODY that works hard to make their dream (car) a reality. :flag
Old 05-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Cor6996vette
Racer

I bought my first bike when i was 14 and also bring home the money for family and paid every single things in my life since i was 10. I think that is good that they like corvette and even better if they don't have to work for it as long as you teach them to appreciate the thing they have and mostly i concern about safety.( young and powerful car).

Old 05-16-2003, 12:27 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to reinforce something, take a look at the price tag of a typial C3 compared to any new car... The price to get into one is probably about average with many newer used cars... Maintenance is quite another issue :rolleyes:
Old 05-16-2003, 12:33 PM
77Dream
Drifting

I'm 22 and got my vette not too long ago, paid for it all myself. When I was 16 I got an 81 mustang that didnt run for 200 bucks. Replaced the carb and it ran good, used it to go to work and save money. When I turned 18 I sold the stang bought a 92 Trans-am. Then at 20 I bought a brand new ford ranger (g/f rolled it last year :cuss ) I managed to pay for this all myself, and I just got all the paper work done for my first house. (party at my house :cheers: )

I dont think its that hard if your priorities are strait. I'll admit I did miss out on allot fun stuff that my friends were doing because I had to work allot. But here I am all set up for life and most of them still live with there parents. This is America, if your willing to work for it then you can have it.

:flag
Old 05-16-2003, 04:33 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Sorry Greatgonzoglenn, It just hit a sore spot from the past. I really didn't mean to overreact and go into battle mode. My most humble apologies. :cheers:
Old 05-16-2003, 09:33 PM
79corvette
Racer

I'm 17 right now, and got my Vette when I was 16. The car was only $3500. I saved up since I was 13, and work at a pet store and a grocery store to pay for the insurance, mainence, gas, and anything else that goes with car owner ship or teenage life(I gave up most spending on anything but the car). And I have to maintain my 4.00 or above GPA in school to keep the car, even though I pay for it, which I think is quite fair. I think Corvette ownership is great, really makes you think about spending that extra dollar (unless it's for the car :D )

Get notified of new replies

To How can it be?

Old 05-16-2003, 09:56 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Guppie, no hard feelings. I'm sorry I hit a sore spot. I really do commend those that have put away for so long to have a Vette. I have seen TOO many times, Mom and Dad help/buy for their kids and the kids don't appreciate it. Also, for those that DID have Mom and Dad help/buy that are taking care of their pride and joy I commend. It's great that ALL have enjoyment of their Vette. :flag
Old 05-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Yellow79
Instructor

bought the vette when i was 17, near the end of my junior year. 18 now. three days from graduating. I pay ALL of my own bills. car was 10k US with a non original motor- but in a town with about 9 c3's i can truthfully say i have the nicest one here. maybe not the fastest, but its in mint condition and im working on that fast part(halfway through building a stroker small block. only 3k short ) i work two jobs along with school and have NO spare money whatsoever. i can truthfully tell you that every single dollar that i get goes towards paying for something with wheels... whether its my daily driver truck needing gas, the motorcycle needing something after i broke it, or the car needing something (gas or parts), the 240 dollars amonth for insurance, or the 60 dollars a month i pay to store it under a roof. i love my car and i know i have a good thing. i dont even let my parents drive it often and ive only let one person ever drive it without me in the car and that was for a friends senior prom date- i followed inconspicuously behind him in my truck as he drove from the gas station to the school. and i dont regret a thing :steering:

[Modified by Yellow79, 5:18 AM 5/17/2003]
Old 05-17-2003, 06:53 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

:iagree: :thumbs:

Quick Reply: How can it be?