C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 on C4/C5 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 04:11 PM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default C3 on C4/C5 chassis

No one is biting on my 1972 for sale on forum, and i just had an unbelievable month at work, so, thinking of re-doing the whole thing.
Months ago I saw info on upgrades for C3's, from "Paul Newman"-not the actor, and probably a couple of other shops that will install a C4/C5 under your C3.
Anyone remind me or send me links?
Thanks alot
Mark
:thumbs:
Old 05-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (markyerger)

The conversion for the C4 suspension is by Car Creations in Templeton, California (the non-actor Paul Newmans shop). Try this link: http://www.carcreationsinc.com/

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 3:20 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 04:21 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default )

No one is biting on my 1972 for sale on forum, and i just had an unbelievable month at work, so, thinking of re-doing the whole thing.
Months ago I saw info on upgrades for C3's, from "Paul Newman"-not the actor, and probably a couple of other shops that will install a C4/C5 under your C3.
Anyone remind me or send me links?
Thanks alot
Mark
:thumbs:
Actually, what those guys do won't address your immediate problem. They install C4 suspension components on a C3 frame. They do not put a C3 body on a C4 "rolling chassis" if there even is such a thing. So you still need to start with a sound C3 frame, although they might be able to get one for you. Newmans outfit is called car creations, and there is probably a website like carcreations.com or something like that. Recent Hot Rod magazine did a cover article on the same conversion. They featured another shop (I forget the name) that does the same type of work. There were a couple of threads on the topic not too long ago... (looking for links) MJ

ok, hot rod magazine featured a firm called "Wheel to wheel powertrain inc"
and another one worth looking at isSRIII motorsports:
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/pages/691638/index.htm

[Modified by MNJack, 4:26 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine is having a car built by Paul Newman right now (his 2nd actually). He's very satisfied with the work and, yes, the shop can provide the frame.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:28 PM
spikezz4
Pro

There is a place in IL. that make tubular frames complete with c4 or c5 suspensions for 53 to 62 Corvettes. They are still working on the C3 frame, but are having difficulting coping with the lowered seat pans.

I know of no frame/chassis anyone makes that you can simply lower your C3 body over. Generally, people use a solid C3 frame, find a 85-88 donor car and use the donor's entire suspension. You will get rack & pinion steering that is pure Corvette, and a Dana 44 rear end. Lots of work though. Hope you can fabricate, engineer, and weld very well. A good knowledge of interchangable Corvette parts helps immensely, too.

Spike
Old 05-13-2003, 05:40 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that's one way of doing it, but there are vendors on here that you could buy from and do it yourself for a whole lot less, and a minimum of mods to your existing frame. The pricing below is approximate, someone can correct if I'm off a little. Also there are probably going to be a few other costs besides these, but this should be the major costs that would be associated with having something similar to the Paul Newman setup.

Steeroids rack-and-pinion $1150
Van Steel - Aluminum Force-10 calipers $1200
Van Steel - VBP Front Monospring system w/ lightweight lower a-arms $700
Van Steel - VBP Lightweight Upper a-Arms $349
Van Steel - Dual mount composite rear spring $550
Van Steel - 5 link rear suspension from Guldstand $2100

And Van Steel gives you a 5% discount for being a CorvetteForum member.

mark
Old 05-13-2003, 07:38 PM
OatBoy
Pro

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (81vette)

damn i've always wanted to do that
Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Hot Rod Magazine had an article last month on the subject. It was done at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain, Inc. in Warren, MI. They've done it for years on mid-years, and are getting more and more requests to do C3's. Their website is http://www.wheeltowheel.net.
Spike
Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

If your still intrested in a tube frame using C4 components under your C3 let me know I have the guy in IL business card I'll dig it out. He does nice work. He can build you a rolling chassis or do it complete. He is in the Quad cities. By the airport.
Bob.james@insightbb.com
Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 AM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (87bob)

Bob, if you find the card I'd like the info on it please. fulmoonexp@aol.com

Al
Old 05-15-2003, 01:44 PM
JimBR0
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (metal tech)

Funny to find this subject......just this morning I e-mailed car creations to see if they had any pictures of C3's they have helped convert. From their FAQ (frequently asked questions) section, they mention that they have to modify the area behind the seats to fit the differential and related parts. You also have to enlarge the drive shaft tunnel on the passenger side to fit the new torque arm. Haven't heard back, but if they send pictures, I will post them

JimBRO

Old 05-15-2003, 02:28 PM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (JimBR0)

thanks for doing the extra work, Jim.
Looking forward to seeing them.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:43 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (JimBR0)

I'd like to see the photos as well as any detailed information. If you talk to them again, ask if they'll be at Carlisle this year. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:07 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in process doing the Car Creations conversion on my 65 coupe. The fiberglass changes are required to make room for modifications that are done to the C2 frame to add the corner kickup supports that are on the C3 frames, as well as a new center section for the frame cross member that runs behind the seats. The frame modification makes room for the addition of a new torque arm that runs from the rear end carrier to the transmission cross member. This torque arm is unique to the Car Creations conversion and adds significant stability to the rear carrier, enhances traction, and allows for more torque to be placed on the rear suspension. The fiberglass mods required include a small patch panel that extends the width of the center console about an inch - by the passenger seat - this mod sits below seat level so it is not noticed after carpeting is installed. Additionally the rear cargo wells are removed to provide room for the modification to the cross member to allow the torque arm to pass through. This requires removal of the metal panel behind the seats and the rear storage wells. These pieces are replaced with a fiberglass panel. The panel that Paul can supply eliminates the wells completely - there is room for you to modify the panel to keep storage wells on the outside - but you will definitely lose the center storage bay. I will upload some pictures this weekend if I have some free time. Paul is great to work with - he provides a very high quality conversion - he has great integrity and he delivers on every commitment he makes -- including delivery schedules....
Old 05-17-2003, 12:32 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: C3 on C4/C5 chassis (65LS6C4)

. . . I will upload some pictures this weekend if I have some free time. Paul is great to work with - he provides a very high quality conversion - he has great integrity and he delivers on every commitment he makes -- including delivery schedules....
I've heard the same about Paul. My understanding is that you're not just paying for the time and materials for Paul to make the modification, but you're paying for a portion of the time it took for them to design and engineer the modifications so all of the proper suspension geometry is maintained. From comparisons, there aren't many who offer such a quality package. "You get what you pay for"!
:yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To C3 on C4/C5 chassis

Quick Reply: C3 on C4/C5 chassis