C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on where is TDC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:03 AM
snb73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on where is TDC

I have the engine out of the car and I'm getting ready to put the timing chain cover on. I want to have the crank positioned properly, so I can drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #1.

Is this correct?

Crank sprocket "dot" at 12:00 and the cam sprocket "dot" at 12:00 = #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Drop the distributor in, rotor fcing #1 cylinder.

Crank sprocket "dot" at 12:00 and the cam sprocket "dot" at 6:00 = #1 cylinder is at TDC on the exaust stroke. #6 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Drop the distributor in, rotor facing #6 cylinder.

I'm want to orient the crank and distributor properly for firing the #1 cylinder.

Thanks, Steve.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:36 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (snb73)

If you have the crank dot up and the cam dot down, the #1 will be on compression TDC, and that is the correct position.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Kingt
Racer

You are correct on both.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to watch the valve action to determine tdc, I watch for the #1 intake to raise up and come down then watch for the timing mark to come around. That way if for some reason the dots on the timing gears is off, you are sure you have it right on. This is assuming the cam is 100% on its mark.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:28 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the motor out and are going to reinstall the engine don't put the distributor in yet. It is easy to later install it . With the distributor in before installation it could get bumped against the firewall.
Don't put the valve cover gasket on the drivers side valve cover , just install the cover. Also I install the plugs after the motor is in to make installing the headers easy, can not be down with the plugs in.
After the motor is in and before the plugs are installed and the rad is still out put a socket on the front of the motor , remove the drives valve cover and slowly rotate the engine watching for the number 1 intake valve to open then close then bring the engine to TDC on the timing mark on the damper. This is guaranteed TDC on the compression strock.
Mark the distributor where #1 is on the cap, I have a yellow painted line on my distributor. Anyway drop the distributor in the motor with the rotor when the distributor is seated so the rotor is pointed in the direction of the yellow line on the housing.
This will take a few tries since the distributor rotates as you are seating it.
I sometimes have to take a long sloted screwdriver and rotate the oil pump to line up with the blade in the bottom of the distributor.
Also make sure the vacuum dash pot is in a favorable position. Since the distributor rotates clockwise advance is counterclockwise so leave room for rotating the vacuum dash pot in the counterclockwise positon.
The firing order is 18436572 clockwise from #1.
Install the gasket , the valve cover and the plugs.
Good luck
Remember watch the #1 intake open, close then bring it to TDC and you are there.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 6:56 AM 5/6/2003]
Old 05-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (Fevre)

:iagree:

That's the best process in my opinion. Regardless, I always watch the valve or lifter movement to make sure which cycle the engine is on.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:36 PM
snb73
Racer

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (Kingt)

Thanks guys,

Can I install the headers before dropping the motor into the engine bay?

Thanks, Steve.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (wombvette)

After the front end has been buttoned up, align the timing marks at whatever initial timing you're using, not at 0º, before installing the distributor. That way you'll know how to properly orient the distributor so you won't have any problems adjusting timing later. Engines run like crap at 0º and having the correct timing upon startup can save you alot of grief.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (norvalwilhelm)

norvalwilhelm said: I sometimes have to take a long sloted screwdriver and rotate the oil pump to line up with the blade in the bottom of the distributor.
:iagree: This is crucial! If the distributor looks like it's going in fine, but won't go like the last 1/4" then you need to turn the oil pump to align the slot with the end of the distributor shaft...it totally sucks the way they designed this, but trial and error will get you there.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:26 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (Rockn-Roll)

OH BS to that turn with screwdriver nonsense....all I ever do is orient the damn thing till I know the cap is on the correct plug, and hit the starter with the dist up in the air, it settles in a heartbeat and then clamp it down....done...

I also just hold my finger over the #1 spark hole, when compression is felt, I stop the starter in time....just let it flip a few times, you can get good at it....and then fine tune it with a vicegrips on the flywheel or flexplate....NOT ever on the engine front, you will break a chevy balancer bolt from trying to turn the engine over with it...allmost guaranteed...well, if you have plugs in it, or the engine is fresh.....

GENE
Old 05-06-2003, 08:01 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Question on where is TDC (mrvette)

mrvette that is an old trick of hitting the starter to drop the distributor into the oil pump but a mechanic was doing that to my dads 351 and there was this cruching sound, they repulled the distributor , teeth were missing but worst the cam also lost teeth
I got the job of pulling the old cam out and replacing it. I don't take chances anymore.

As for the finger over the spart plug hole I do it myself and even typed out that response but though if he never did it don't start now.

With no plugs in the engine the motor should turn over with the harmonic bolt.
Plugs should not go in until after the headers are done.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on where is TDC

Quick Reply: Question on where is TDC